Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Trying to decipher my rental agreement

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
Quick question regarding my rental agreement for anyone who knows a bit about tenancy contracts. I am trying to decipher what exactly the following means for me.

As far as I can tell, I believe it means that I can leave my property at any time after the first 6 months provided I give 2 months notice (i.e. I could in theory hand in notice in month 8 and leave in month 10). What's confusing me is the "agreements and obligations" bit - does that mean if I left before the end of the contract (it is a 12 month contract) I would be liable for rent for the full 12 months?

Subject to the giving of at least two months notice in writing to the Landlord it is agreed that at any time the Tenant may serve
notice for the tenancy to end provided that the end date of the notice period is at least six months after the tenancy
commenced however the Tenant will until the end of the notice period and until vacant possession is given up if later pay the
Rent and observe and perform the agreements and obligations on the Tenants part contained in the Agreement but the
ending of the tenancy does not release either the Landlord or the Tenant from any outstanding obligation or claim.

It would help if they used commas and full stops in these things! :mad:

Thanks in advance.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think it means that giving notice doesnt mean you cease the terms of the contract at that point, any obligations of the contract remain in place until the end of the notice period, i.e. when your tenancy ends as adjusted due to giving notice early. also means if you give notice but dont leave on the notice date, you are still liable to pay rent.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Quick question regarding my rental agreement for anyone who knows a bit about tenancy contracts. I am trying to decipher what exactly the following means for me.

As far as I can tell, I believe it means that I can leave my property at any time after the first 6 months provided I give 2 months notice (i.e. I could in theory hand in notice in month 8 and leave in month 10). What's confusing me is the "agreements and obligations" bit - does that mean if I left before the end of the contract (it is a 12 month contract) I would be liable for rent for the full 12 months?

I know nothing but I'd say No....the bits that 'confuse' prob apply to ensuring council tax, phone bills, prostitutes/drugs bills etc are paid up appropriately

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here