Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

cricket on the wireless

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'm going to be in Greece next week so will miss the start of the Ashes. There's no internet where I'm going so I'm wondering if they broadcast on long wave or short wave or somesuch and I'll be able to get it. Anyone know ? The alternative of sitting in a bar all day watching it, whilst appealing, would result in a serious amount of hostile chatter from the domestic complaining officer.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm going to be in Greece next week so will miss the start of the Ashes. There's no internet where I'm going so I'm wondering if they broadcast on long wave or short wave or somesuch and I'll be able to get it. Anyone know ? The alternative of sitting in a bar all day watching it, whilst appealing, would result in a serious amount of hostile chatter from the domestic complaining officer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/15665499

'BBC Test Match Special will broadcast ball-by-ball commentary as England seek to regain the Ashes against Australia this summer.
All games can be heard on BBC Radio 5 live sports extra, BBC Radio 4 Long Wave and via the BBC Sport website and app, with regular updates on Radio 5 live.
BBC cricket correspondent Jonathan Agnew leads the TMS commentary team, which includes Ed Smith, Henry Blofeld, Simon Mann and Jim Maxwell.'

dr415414

May 6, 2015
Well they still broadcast on longwave. Chances of getting it in Greece? Unknown. The way things are there at the moment I'd be surprised if anything is working! Good luck.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

They still have it on Radio 4 long wave - 198. God knows what the implications of that are for you in Greece, though.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
198 long wave. Can get that anywhere in the world.
Apart from my car unless I take my hands off the steering wheel. Very strange aerial issue and very annoying when I'm driving around for work as it used to be great driving in strange locations listening to cricket. I do remember listening to England in West Indies whilst driving up a dark, foggy road between the A303 and Bath going to watch the Albion play Bristol Rovers at Twerton Park - very surreal listening to cricket in those surroundings.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
If all fails on the air waves you can always follow BBC online live text coverage or better still follow the NSC First Test Thread for an unbiased viewpoint.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Not looking good. I did a check on the BBC World Service web site and it seems all the short wave frequencies have shut down. LW wont get to Greece. Best bet is to pack a 2 metre sat dish and hope no one notices it.
I'm not into all this 'roaming' stuff but doesn't a mobile work the same costs as in UK for data? Again, I'm no expert but a search of Three shows a euro pass unlimited data id £5 day. Just ideas.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Thanks, I've reserved a Roberts world band radio at Argos.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'd be more worried about getting change from any cash purchases than net access.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Not looking good. I did a check on the BBC World Service web site and it seems all the short wave frequencies have shut down. LW wont get to Greece. Best bet is to pack a 2 metre sat dish and hope no one notices it.
I'm not into all this 'roaming' stuff but doesn't a mobile work the same costs as in UK for data? Again, I'm no expert but a search of Three shows a euro pass unlimited data id £5 day. Just ideas.

Oh dear. £5 a day internet it is then.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 5, 2014
It's lovely to hear the term 'wireless' used these days.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Jim Maxwell, for me now the best on TMS. Beefy on the TV with Michael Holding. Aggers gets 'right up my goat'.

All down to personal taste

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here