Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Americans Don't Know Why They Celebrate 4th of July!

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
I'm sure we have thicko's in this country also.
Christmas Day is Santa's birthday right ?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
the yanks have very little history compared with Britain (and anyone who uses ANCESTRY will know they are always trying to pinch ours).
time to re-invade :lolol:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Americans in general are just ignorant of the world around them and their own history.
I love the place but I wouldn't be surprised if many of the residents weren't aware that there was life outside of their own country.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
Americans in general are just ignorant of the world around them and their own history.
I love the place but I wouldn't be surprised if many of the residents weren't aware that there was life outside of their own country.

I work for an American company and some of the yanks are genuinely shocked we don't celebrate July 4th over here

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
the yanks have very little history compared with Britain (and anyone who uses ANCESTRY will know they are always trying to pinch ours).
time to re-invade :lolol:

Had a lovely weekend in Rhode Island last week, most buildings a good couple of hundred years older than anything in brighton, where we were.

I work for an American company and some of the yanks are genuinely shocked we don't celebrate July 4th over here

It's bad enough that we know the date of July 4th. Out here in Firle, we like to think of it being a celebration of the uselessness of the Gage family.

I'm just thankful that hardly anyone in the UK knows the date of Thanksgiving Day.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Unbelievable. But then again mention of Americans when in the Army used to get the obligatory "All the gear, no idea" or the alternative "All the kit, full of sh**. They called us The Borrowers cos we would "acquire" their kit if we lacked our own or theirs was better than ours (it often was). They did get rather irate when somebody "borrowed" an Armoured Personnel Carrier. failing to appreciate that we were trained to "Improvise, Adapt, Overcome". That did stretch the Special Relationship somewhat, as did my ex-TA mate running the Union Flag up the flagpole of an American Summer Camp on July 4th.....

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Unbelievable. But then again mention of Americans when in the Army used to get the obligatory "All the gear, no idea" or the alternative "All the kit, full of sh**. They called us The Borrowers cos we would "acquire" their kit if we lacked our own or theirs was better than ours (it often was). They did get rather irate when somebody "borrowed" an Armoured Personnel Carrier. failing to appreciate that we were trained to "Improvise, Adapt, Overcome". That did stretch the Special Relationship somewhat, as did my ex-TA mate running the Union Flag up the flagpole of an American Summer Camp on July 4th.....

That sounds so familiar of my time in the Air Force, always borrowing stuff off the spams until they go running to their commanding officer about the nasty Brits.
They can stick the 4th July!

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Had a lovely weekend in Rhode Island last week, most buildings a good couple of hundred years older than anything in brighton, where we were.

Little Rhody is fantastic. Stroll from the 'Superman Building' in downtown Providence up to Brown University and past some real archtectural history while slurping your cup of Del's Frozen Lemonade.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

couple of hundred is that all, just an example Pevensey castle Romano-British nearly 2000 years ago, although I will go along with the theory that the Vikings were in north America,the remains of a Nordic body was found with a native indian arrowhead in it, but and I might be corrected here that was found in Canada.

incidentally I have worked on a lot of the buildings in Brighton and they are considerably older than 200 years
most interesting was St Nicholas Church bottom of dyke road possibly Norman ( Norman stone used in the building of)

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Any links to this? I am genuinely interested in the history of buildings and I didn't realise this.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
All this Americans are dumb philistines with no history is so insecure and needy it's tragic.

Especially this weekend, the history of our and our rivals colonies there is fascinating, and there's so much to learn and explore. If you don't payattention to our history in North America you cant really understand our industrialisation, consequent imperialism and how it shaped modern Britain and the world.

It wasn't a boat full of religious nutters from England pitching up and deciding to become a different race who were thicker less sophisticated more racist and generally worse people than the english. The amount of snobbery towards the U.S. on here is astounding, and in itself so unsophisticated and unworldly, ironically.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
couple of hundred is that all, just an example Pevensey castle Romano-British nearly 2000 years ago, although I will go along with the theory that the Vikings were in north America,the remains of a Nordic body was found with a native indian arrowhead in it, but and I might be corrected here that was found in Canada.

incidentally I have worked on a lot of the buildings in Brighton and they are considerably older than 200 years
most interesting was St Nicholas Church bottom of dyke road possibly Norman ( Norman stone used in the building of)

I know how old stuff is england mate

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 3, 2012

That's not Norman Stone, the famous right-wing Historian?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You say that but I came a across several examples of it being celebrated here today, and by English people, including flags, bunting, a fête and a 10% discount on a pub's American style burger.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here