Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

25 years on, that game England v West Germany, WC Semi-final

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
After a slow start, a late smash and grab against Belgium and Cameron's clumsy play in the penalty box we were in the semi's.

The German's IMO were the better side. But on the day we matched them, this team had spirit and a great manager in Bobby Robson. It could have gone either way, still gutted as I think we could have beaten the dirty Argies in the final

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnEPNX3jI5U

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Greatest and most intense game of football I have ever seen. Even though the wrong team won.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Greatest and most intense game of football I have ever seen. Even though the wrong team won.

That and the 1983 FA Cup Final, the 2 biggest games in my sporting life

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Still hurts now ,after decent World Cups in 82 and 86 we had built a good squad for 90.Not the most exciting but solid .It was no shame losing to the best Germany side i've seen.I thought semi finals would be a regular occurence sadly not.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Was working in a a Rhode Island theme park for the summer with loads of other Brits and we had to go straight into an eight hour shift at the final whistle. Quite surreal, all of us in a car driving to work in blazing afternoon sunshine, all of us devastated. Amazing that it was 'West Germany' as well.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Possibly the most painful individual result in my sport spectating career. Just like the '83 Cup Final Replay, the FFS Murray debacle, I was there in the stand as our dreams were shattered. Forgive me for preferring normal League football.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Only time ever cried (in pain) after a football match - ok so I drank a lot of lager during the match but being a Brighton fan, I thought I'd have repeated that by now! That summer had it all: love, music, sun, life, the future was glorious....and then, just as my grandparents used to say, Germany had to go and spoil everything!!

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Was working in the Middle East, watched it in a 'club/bar' with a German chappie. Had to be magnanimous in defeat, so we got drunk together. Seems like yesterday.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Only time ever cried (in pain) after a football match - ok so I drank a lot of lager during the match but being a Brighton fan, I thought I'd have repeated that by now! That summer had it all: love, music, sun, life, the future was glorious....and then, just as my grandparents used to say, Germany had to go and spoil everything!!
Sums it up perfectly
Amazing year, went to Thailand came home in time for World Cup lived just of Western Road close to pubs to watch games in and stagger home either in jubilation or tears, remember watching England games in LAINGS pub down Preston street, amazing times Of warehouse Parties ACID rave scene Stone Roses, winning the World Cup at that moment in time would have been so special but in real life it never quite works out that way
Looking forward to seeing the new series of THIS IS ENGLAND 90 in the autumn to see how this brilliant time is portrayed by Shane Meadows

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bitter disappointment as we were a really good team and several players were very good.

The tragedy was at the time I bet none of us realised we probably will never get to any major semi-final or final ever again given what the Premiership has done for young player development.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
The tragedy was at the time I bet none of us realised we probably will never get to any major semi-final or final ever again given what the Premiership has done for young player development.
Pretty much the same goes for us getting relegated in 83, I never thought at the time 32 years would go by and no return to top flight football for the Albion

Macca the attacker

Apr 7, 2010
I was 7 and this tournament started my love affair with football. Still remember the mini coke football's with the mascot on that everyone was playing with in the streets after every game. The semi defeat still hurts but it set in stone my addiction for the game.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
This was definitely football pre-globalisation. English players hadn't kicked in a ball in Europe for 5 years yet made a semi final on foreign soil.

What I find interesting is the number of empty seats around the stadium. I remember my Dad and his mates piling into a Ford Granada and heading to Turin, seemed to get tickets OK

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
This was definitely football pre-globalisation. English players hadn't kicked in a ball in Europe for 5 years yet made a semi final on foreign soil.

What I find interesting is the number of empty seats around the stadium. I remember my Dad and his mates piling into a Ford Granada and heading to Turin, seemed to get tickets OK

And pre the 'Fever Pitch effect'

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I was there in Turin that day 25 years ago.

The team evolved during the tournament, wth Platt coming in and we got better as the games came and went.when it came to pens I really thought we'd win, as I thought Shilts would save at least one.

As England fans we wer outnumbered at least three to one, and as someone else said, there were empty seats there. I always remember the flats in Turin draped in Italian flags, something we now do here, and it was the last tournament we had Union Flags, rather than the St, Geoge Cross.

'All Played Out' is an excellent read covering the England journey.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Watched on the tele in the Burrel, H.Heath....televisions didn't exist in Pubs then so was brought in especially! Same in lots of others, pre Sky Glory days!

As someone else has said, I would never have thought England would never make another final or semi other than 96 all these years later. Same Albion outside top flight. That's what Depresses me about football now. The hope seems to have been crushed, what were outside bets but had an element of could happen have been roundly killed off by the Premiership. Dreams are an important part of football, unfortunately greed is even more so.

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Watched on the tele in the Burrel, H.Heath....televisions didn't exist in Pubs then so was brought in especially! Same in lots of others, pre Sky Glory days!

As someone else has said, I would never have thought England would never make another final or semi other than 96 all these years later. Same Albion outside top flight. That's what Depresses me about football now. The hope seems to have been crushed, what were outside bets but had an element of could happen have been roundly killed off by the Premiership. Dreams are an important part of football, unfortunately greed is even more so.

Apart from Bournemouth of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here