Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

goalkeeper

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
A season out on loan where he gets a substantial run of game time will give him the experience he needs to come back as first choice. Still incredibly young especially for a keeper and its games he needs to develop his obvious talent

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
A season out on loan where he gets a substantial run of game time will give him the experience he needs to come back as first choice. Still incredibly young especially for a keeper and its games he needs to develop his obvious talent
looks comfortable to me to be pushing for first choice ??

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
looks comfortable to me to be pushing for first choice ??

Pushing is the key word he will be relying on stockdale being so bad or injured to get a chance. This opposed to going out on loan as first choice keeper and getting a significant amount of first team games under his belt.

Don't get me wrong he is an incredible prospect but if he stays with us he might get another 4-5 first team games at best on loan it will be more like 30

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Pushing is the key word he will be relying on stockdale being so bad or injured to get a chance. This opposed to going out on loan as first choice keeper and getting a significant amount of first team games under his belt.

Don't get me wrong he is an incredible prospect but if he stays with us he might get another 4-5 first team games at best on loan it will be more like 30

Very good reply. Walton needs to play, not keep the bench warm this season.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

This, there is a massive difference between the Development Squad and the Championship. A season in league 1 or 2 will do him no harm and also toughen him up from a physical perspective. Don't forget he is still a young man who and his body is developing physically.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
We're following what Birmingham did with Jack Butland, he went on loan to Cheltenham in League 2 to be first choice and to get thaf year of experience. Joe Hart played a full 46 game season for Shrewsbury before Man City snapped him up. I think loaning Walton to a League 2 side for a season makes perfect sense, but I wouldn't be opposed to him being our first choice.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
guess about 20 you??

That isn't first team games, is it? As has been pointed out, DS games are not the same. I think he's a very talented keeper, but needs regular team games week in and week out, which is why a loan is a very good idea for his further development. He isn't 20 yet so plenty of time to be number 1 with us.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I don't understand the purpose of this thread. It's been talked about quite a lot this summer already.

Walton looked good in his two games for the first team but they were only two. He needs regular first team football and if Hughton and the backroom team don't think he's ready for that with us (and they see him a lot more than the moaning fans on here), then I'm willing to trust them on that rather than criticise.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
SS78 has said all that needs to be said on this thread (although Hans Kraay's Fan Club might have something to say). The only thing I'll add is that manager's are notoriously conservative when it comes to goalkeepers, and are reluctant to bed youngsters. My fear is that our manager is extremely conservative in his footballing decision-making (based largely on the last c10 games of the season, along with Norwich fans' assessment), although I'm more more than open for him to dissuade me from this.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
SS78 has said all that needs to be said on this thread (although Hans Kraay's Fan Club might have something to say). The only thing I'll add is that manager's are notoriously conservative when it comes to goalkeepers, and are reluctant to bed youngsters. My fear is that our manager is extremely conservative in his footballing decision-making (based largely on the last c10 games of the season, along with Norwich fans' assessment), although I'm more more than open for him to dissuade me from this.

Only to agree with everything you've said. Hughton is the dictionary definition of conservative.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
When I saw him play he looked very nervous with under pressure back passes, particularly on his left foot. He really needs competitive experience to become more confident with his feet. Other than that he looks a very sound keeper.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
40 odd games in L2 is going to be more beneficial than playing in the reserves.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I don't understand the purpose of this thread. It's been talked about quite a lot this summer already.

Walton looked good in his two games for the first team but they were only two. He needs regular first team football and if Hughton and the backroom team don't think he's ready for that with us (and they see him a lot more than the moaning fans on here), then I'm willing to trust them on that rather than criticise.

He did, but I thought he was a bit fortunate at Tottenham, in that he flapped at a corner or free kick (I can't remember which), and there was no Tottenham player there to profit. Had that gone in, I don't know if he would have had such a confident game. Also, if he was to play regularly and make a bad error he will (quite rightly) be assessed in terms of a first team keeper, rather than a young player still developing, which could set his confidence back a fair way. If he goes to, say, a League Two side, he can gain experience of dealing with sides who rely on high balls into the box and develop that part of his game. I also thought judgement when coming off his line needed working on too (just my opinion; feel free to disagree). I remember him getting badly lobbed in that Palace game CMS made his comeback in, and if being really harsh, he was possibly a bit off his line for Blackburn's equaliser. And, although we all hope next season will be better than last, we don't know it will be. The last thing he needs is to be part of a struggle like that. These points are not in any way to knock the guy though. I'd like him to go and get experience and then return to really challenge Stockdale or whoever.

Saying that, I'm hoping we don't go for Maenpaa. He looks rather error-prone, and as soon as he made a mistake, plenty on here would say we should have kept Walton.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He is not ready for a season as No 1 in the chanpionship yet, odd games but not 46 if DS was injured or played worse than last season so a loan will give him valuable experience, which will benefit both him and us.

I would sooner we sent him out for a season loan to play and brought in somebody like Paul Robinson as no 2 and to compete with DS or even 1 from Arsenal who have an abundance now having signed Czech

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here