Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has anyone seen any butterflies this year in England?

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
They are about as rare as Liam Bridcutt goals. Some photographic evidence would be nice. (Butterflies that is, not black and white footage of Bridcutt goals).

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yeah saw a few in April/May. But they seen to have disappeared. The weather has been good, i thought they liked warm, dry weather?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Interesting...sorry no pics, but was on a club social run last night and went through one field where there seemed to be hundreds of them - very noticeable. Helpful in that the field has only been cut around the edge and the middle was long grass I think. Can easily point you to the field in question if necessary !

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
plenty but mostly common types although the first time I have seen a small blue here in Langney point

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
There's always loads here by Hove Trial Centre,
Less of those huge spiders than last year, I notice. Happy about that.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Not a Butterfly. For the first time in my life I saw a Humming Bird, it was just hovering in front of the car as I turned into my drive. I stopped and watched for as long as it was there, it then went into the hedge along side the drive.
Turns out it was a Humming Bird Moth, as no Humming Birds in England. It was spectacular!

tumblr_mgcftr58kR1ro1r3fo4_1280.jpg

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Not a Butterfly. For the first time in my life I saw a Humming Bird, it was just hovering in front of the car as I turned into my drive. I stopped and watched for as long as it was there, it then went into the hedge along side the drive.
Turns out it was a Humming Bird Moth, as no Humming Birds in England. It was spectacular!

I saw one of these a few weeks ago in Italy and also though at first it was a humming bird. It was getting the nectar from the flowers on the balcony but too quick for me to get a picture.

Regarding butterflies there have been a few in my garden this year and I rescued one yesterday that was caught in a spiders Web.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Please plant flowers and shrubs that attract Butterflies and Bees as we need them 🐝🐝🐝🐫💐🌸🌷🌷🌷🌻

Don't nettles encourage some kind of butterfly. They lay their eggs on them or something?

Also - didn't I read that some butterflies (red admirals?) come here from Spain each spring?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Saw a butterly flutter by just now.

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
Need to plant some butterfly bushes (Buddleja) grow fast and tall and straggly but nice purple flowers like a lilac. They'll be hovering around in no time, especially the white butterflies....

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill

I saw one last year in my parents front garden. Managed to get a video of it too! Post #17 on this thread if you're interested....
http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...-here!!/page2&highlight=Hummingbird+hawk+moth

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
One got confused yesterday and flew into my kitchen but I was able to let it out again through the Velux windows
I think it's only about the second or third one I've seen this year
More bees around this year - have been all over my plants

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here