Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Following on from the best drumming thread

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
For the guitarists on here.

The edge. Streets have no name.

Is his style of playing, strumming at rediculous speed as difficulty as it looks? I am a mere beginner and can't get anywhere near the speed he achieves and it just sounds like a mess!

:rock::rock:
g::rock::rock:

boik

If you mean the picking bit, as opposed to the strumming bit, surely he is using a long delay and just playing with himself (so to speak). If you want fast strumming, check out Mr Gedge on the early Wedding Present stuff.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Of course this all very subjective but technically whilst no slouch The Edge is not widely regarded as amazingly technical player. However, he is renowned for his use of his delay effects and let's not forget that U2 have shifted an awful lot of records and it should never be forgotten the one carefully chosen note can say just as much as gazillion flashed across the the fretboard.

For the technical wizards you need to be looking at the likes of Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani and Steve Vai. These are my faves but I do appreciate how others may dismiss them as self indulgent shredders.

If I was putting together the perfect composite of Frankenstein player they would look something like this

The two handed tapping of Steve Vai
The sweep picking and speed of Yngwie Malmsteen
The legato and whammy bar effects of Joe Satriani
The use of harmonics by Eddie Van Halen
The wah wah controlled tone of Michael Schenker
The more traditional wah wah tone of Brian Robertson
The palm muted down picking preciseness and speed of James Hetfield
And finally the sheer versatility and musical feel of the much missed Brighton based Gary Moore

That my friends is one hell of a guitarist!

When it comes to the sum of the parts I would have to go for my personal faves of Dave Murray and Adrian Smith.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
To the the trouble with guitarists is it is easy to delve into the realm of fret *******. As an instrument it is more overplayed that any other and often sacrifices its melodic sensibilities for 'taking it to the next level' while this is impressive I prefer a guitarist who won't sacrifice melody for his solo.

with this in mind, I give you

John Squire and Slash as my nominations.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
To the the trouble with guitarists is it is easy to delve into the realm of fret *******. As an instrument it is more overplayed that any other and often sacrifices its melodic sensibilities for 'taking it to the next level' while this is impressive I prefer a guitarist who won't sacrifice melody for his solo.

with this in mind, I give you

John Squire and Slash as my nominations.

This in bucket loads, also add David Gilmour to that list! and as for the edge as far as I am concerned if you take away all his effects you would be left with a very average guitarist.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
This in bucket loads, also add David Gilmour to that list! and as for the edge as far as I am concerned if you take away all his effects you would be left with a very average guitarist.

That's a view on the Edge and I concur as in my youth I used to doodle on a rather sexy Black Fender 62 reissue with a gorgeous birds eye maple neck and with the aid of Zoom 3030 multi effects unit I could sound like I knew what I was doing. To the trained ear I was in fact pretty shite with a guitar that was wasted on me. Having said all this when I win the lottery I will buy a Flame topped Led Paul and a Steve Vai Ibanez Jem EVH and just hang them on the wall and drool!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here