Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BHAFC vs Arsenal 18th August 1979

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
new doc 28_1.jpg

My recently passed away father in law went and kept this memorabilia. Anyone out there remember the game or the team? First ever home game in Division 1......

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Eurostile was a popular font at the time.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Yep, right next to the Arsenal fans in the chicken run. Got head butted on the way out by a pissed up Arsenal fan .
I was 14 at time , the w@nker

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
If i remember correctly the anticipated capacity crowd failed to materialise ..and that scoreline!
Was our first victory at home to Ipswich? Just a guess.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Was there with my late father on the CR, in those days juniors went through separate turnstiles, I got in but my dad didn't along with many others until they just opened that big gates and let them in.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Brilliant, Thanks Rapper. Nice to see my home team Donny Rovers on the front page. I was a regular at Belle Vue as a nipper with my old man in the Billy Bremner days.

Interesting to see that Rovers' team in 1979/80 featured Alan Warboys, who helped to destroy Brighton at the Goldstone six seasons before.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If i remember correctly the anticipated capacity crowd failed to materialise ..and that scoreline!
Was our first victory at home to Ipswich? Just a guess.

1979/80 attendances were pretty good, especially considering the rising prices. But they dropped significantly in 1980/81, which caused a lot of financial difficulty considering the massive investment in the summer of 1980.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here