Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Metal Engineering Works to remove a bolt

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've 2 bolts approx. 16mm that I cannot remove from my bicycle bottom bracket.

After a bit of unfruitful research, I think they needed a special tool back in the early '80s that you can no longer get. You can't get a socket into the crank to grip the bolt as it's ridiculously tight.

I need someone to pilot drill the hardened steel bolts, then use a corkscrew like bolt remover to get them out, then just get some replacement bolts with smaller heads.

Any ideas who I could go to in the Brighton / Hove / Shoreham sort of area?

(I've tried Iron Designs and Denmay Steel but neither can do it, maybe need a toolmaker or something).

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Its on eof two things i belive you are talking about.
You are either referring to Cotter Pins that keep the pedals in or a tool that is round with a handle that helps remove the crank shaft etc !
If its that then yes they still make them as i have on at home somewhere and only bought it two years ago.
For the life of me i cant remember what it is called.
But your best bet is to just call in at a cycle shop with your Cycle and show them,
Hope this helps in some way.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Its on eof two things i belive you are talking about.
You are either referring to Cotter Pins that keep the pedals in or a tool that is round with a handle that helps remove the crank shaft etc !
If its that then yes they still make them as i have on at home somewhere and only bought it two years ago.
For the life of me i cant remember what it is called.
But your best bet is to just call in at a cycle shop with your Cycle and show them,
Hope this helps in some way.

2 cycle shops can't get it off. It's not cotter pins, it's like the picture below, only the bolt head is so big and the circle inset around so small that you can't get a tool in there.

Reckon the welding a small bolt onto it might be an option though.

cotterless2sm.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here