Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Traffic CHAOS next week, at Brighton Station..

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Cool. I like what they're doing there already. One week of minor inconvenience - there are plenty of alternate routes to that one - is nothing compared to a nice-looking station for years to come.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Station entrance is much improved already. Looks pretty decent to me.

Anyone got artist impressions of what the finished result will be ?

edit : http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/con...d-road-safety/improving-brighton-station-area

Good for the football IMO as majority of people often dont go more than 500m from the station.

*** Subject to agreement with Network Rail, a new pedestrian link to the North Laine will be provided

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Excellent news! Yet further progress in reclaiming the streets of our city for those people who want to walk around in it, rather than private-car-wallahs who use the city as one giant rat-run. :wave:

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Station entrance is much improved already. Looks pretty decent to me.

Anyone got artist impressions of what the finished result will be ?

images-4.jpg

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
So when it's all done, how will you drive from Terminus Road towards the Clock Tower? Still in front of the bus station as before?

As for the passageway down to North Laine - no matter how bad that gents' smelt - it's a real disgrace that a great and practical bit of Victorian design has been allowed to fester away all these years.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
As for the passageway down to North Laine - no matter how bad that gents' smelt - it's a real disgrace that a great and practical bit of Victorian design has been allowed to fester away all these years.

That passageway was one of the more bizarre aspects of Brighton of yesteryear. the gleaming brass handrail that led you down to the foulest-smelling gents in Christendom. Tho judging by the intricate mosaic design on the floor, and the lack of modern day sanitation it may well have pre-dated Christianity. And on the back of what fag-packet was the business model for the subterranean barbershop first proposed? Something for the weekend sir? Yes please barber, I'll have some smelling salts.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
One can only hope that the contractors and council officers involved in this work are slightly less incompetent than those that did Edward Street and North Street. Although it's hard to believe they will be better given we're just coming up to the busiest part of the year and many tourists come by train so let's cause chaos around the STATION :facepalm:

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
I think im the only person who doesn't like it, yes it needed to be improved but they seemed to have spent over a year doing this and I think they could of done alot better in the time. They should of moved the taxi rank then people would not have to cross the road when exiting the station and got rid of the rediculous flower beds that take up much of the pavement, hopefully they can make a decent job on the route down to the North Laine..

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
For all the bus wankers like myself:

http://www.buses.co.uk/news/story.aspx?articleid=3011

Terminus Road closure
Terminus Road and Junction Road - Road Closure - Monday 6 July until Monday 13 July

From 5am on Monday 6 July, Terminus Road and Junction Road southbound will be closed until Monday 13 July, to all traffic except Taxis.

During this time all bus services will divert from Seven Dials via Bath Street, Dyke Road, Buckingham Road to Upper Gloucester Road. At the bottom of Upper Gloucester Road will be temporary traffic lights as services will then travel straight over into Queens Road and proceed on normal route.

All southbound stops at Brighton Station will be suspended and a temporary stop will be located southbound outside Tesco’s on Queens Road.

Service 78/79 towards Stanmer Park and Ditchling Beacon from the Clock Tower will use Dyke Road and join the diversion at Buckingham Road.

Details route by route

Service 6 operates as normal towards Brighton Station dropping off at stop E, then operates out of service via Terminus Road, Bath Street, Dyke Road, Buckingham Road and Upper Gloucester Road to restart at Queens Road Tesco temporary stop.

Services 7/N7 towards Brighton Marina are diverted via Bath Street, Dyke Road, Buckingham Road and Upper Gloucester Road to the Queens Road Tesco temporary stop.

Services 12/12A/12X operates as normal towards Brighton Station dropping off at stop E, then operates out of service via Terminus Road, Bath Street, Dyke Road, Buckingham Road and Upper Gloucester Road to restart at Queens Road Tesco temporary stop.

Services 13X/14B operates as normal towards Brighton Station dropping off at stop E, then operates out of service via Terminus Road, Bath Street, Dyke Road, Buckingham Road and Upper Gloucester Road to restart at Queens Road Tesco temporary stop, then continue via Queens Road, Dyke Road, Upper North Street and Regent Hill.

Services 14/14C towards Peacehaven are diverted via Bath Street, Dyke Road, Buckingham Road and Upper Gloucester Road to the Queens Road Tesco temporary stop, then continue via Queens Road to Clock Tower, journeys that serve Churchill Square then operate via Dyke Road, Upper North Street and Regent Hill.

Service 14A towards Peacehaven starts from Queens Road Tesco temporary stop, then continue via Queens Road to Clock Tower.

Service 18 operates as normal towards Brighton Station dropping off at stop E, then journeys that normally serve Seven Dials do so as normal and journeys that terminate will operate out of service via Terminus Road, Bath Street, Dyke Road, Buckingham Road and Upper Gloucester Road to restart at Queens Road Tesco temporary stop then continue via Queens Road to Clock Tower, journeys that serve Churchill Square then operate via Dyke Road, Upper North Street and Regent Hill.

Services 22/22A will operate as normal setting down and picking up at stop E.

Services 27/27C towards Saltdean are diverted via Bath Street, Dyke Road, Buckingham Road and Upper Gloucester Road to the Queens Road Tesco temporary stop then normal route.

Service 48 operates as normal towards Brighton Station dropping off at stop E, then operates out of service via Terminus Road, Bath Street, Dyke Road, Buckingham Road and Upper Gloucester Road to restart at Queens Road Tesco temporary stop, then continue via Queens Road, Dyke Road, Upper North Street and Regent Hill.

Service 59 towards North Street is diverted via Bath Street, Dyke Road, Buckingham Road and Upper Gloucester Road to the Queens Road Tesco temporary stop.

Service 77 towards Brighton Pier is diverted via Bath Street, Dyke Road, Buckingham Road and Upper Gloucester Road to the Queens Road Tesco temporary stop.

Services 78/79 towards Stanmer Park and Ditchling Beacon operate from North Street via Dyke Road, Buckingham Road, Upper Gloucester Road to restart at Queens Road Tesco temporary stop then normal route.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Does anyone actually know what they're doing? That road that goes down the side of the station is so narrow, if they widened the pavement it would be one-way!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Half the roads are shut off for one reason or another around the station it's a right ****ing ball ache at the moment.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

from the link pavements in Queen's Road will be widened by around three metres on each side
erm... that pretty much makes it down to two lane. so with a bus stop, one lane. and widening Surrey st pavement means losing a lane down there. sounds like a design built to create gridlock.

But who NEEDS to drive a car down Queens Road? If, for example, you want to get from Seven Dials to the Churchill Square car parks, drive down Montpelier Road and use the seafront and West Street.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But who NEEDS to drive a car down Queens Road? If, for example, you want to get from Seven Dials to the Churchill Square car parks, drive down Montpelier Road and use the seafront and West Street.

i agree - in respect to THPP point about a rat run, i wonders who would. i'm thinking of the cabs and buses, plenty enough of them for the road to go TITSUP.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
i agree - in respect to THPP point about a rat run, i wonders who would. i'm thinking of the cabs and buses, plenty enough of them for the road to go TITSUP.

Could easily move the cabs and/or buses round to the back entrance to the station. That area is massively underused currently. Apart from a couple of random buses of a weekday, and the replacement bus service of a weekend, that area just seems to be a drop-off point that hardly anybody uses for that purpose.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I think im the only person who doesn't like it, yes it needed to be improved but they seemed to have spent over a year doing this and I think they could of done alot better in the time. They should of moved the taxi rank then people would not have to cross the road when exiting the station and got rid of the rediculous flower beds that take up much of the pavement, hopefully they can make a decent job on the route down to the North Laine..

It would've been great if they'd gone all out and made it a real show piece as people first get off the train. I would've pedestrianised that whole bit of queens road and make the traffic use surrey street.

What they've actually done is give a lick of paint to what was already there, and blocked up some busy pavements!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I do quite like what they're doing with it, however if you're going to widen a pavement don't then fill in that extra space with MASSIVE flower beds, IDIOTS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here