Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who do you / Have you rated...

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
But seemingly others do not see the same player as you do.

For me in the current squad I really rate Stockdale and I am certain he will change peoples opinions next season.

Previous years, Barnes is an obvious one. Others include Alan Navarro, I really rated him when he came back from injury and filled in for Bridcutt and felt he was unlucky to be released.

However some slightly weirder ones would be El-Abd pre Gus, For some reason I had always liked him and thought he was a decent player.

and Finally Matt Richards, I always thought he was our best full back, much better than Whing. however at the time Richards never seemed to get any praise.

Over to you...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Same as you re. Stockdale, and always rated Barnes very highly indeed.

A more obscure one from me - JAMIE SMITH. Looked a terrific, technically acomplished little player, who would thrive in the Gus revolution. Was brilliant away to Swindon, on the opening day, setting up both Sparrow goals, the second with a superb through ball. No-one else seemed to agree though - no-one anywhere, in fact - which is why he now plays at DOVER or somewhere.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Same as you re. Stockdale, and always rated Barnes very highly indeed.

A more obscure one from me - JAMIE SMITH. Looked a terrific, technically acomplished little player, who would thrive in the Gus revolution. Was brilliant away to Swindon, on the opening day, setting up both Sparrow goals, the second with a superb through ball. No-one else seemed to agree though - no-one anywhere, in fact - which is why he now plays at DOVER or somewhere.

He was the little lad we got from Palace wasn't he?

Another player that has just come back to me, Alex Nicholas, Seriously I thought he was brilliant, maybe he played for us at the wrong time but he was great.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Ashley Barnes got a lot of gormless stick during the Amex years for no good reason at all. Would have him back in a flash.

Oh, and Sir Anthony Rougier :bowdown:

Yorkshire-Seagull

Feb 11, 2008
Agree with Stockdale. I also really rated Holla in the beginning, but the drop-off in form was significant last year.

Previously, I always loved Dean Cox - was gutted when we sold him. I'd still have him back in the team now.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I always thought Tommy Fraser was a bit under-rated. Not great by any means, mind, but a bit better than most gave him credit for. Mind you, I only saw him play a few times, and one of those was THAT GOAL at Hereford, so maybe that slants my judgement a little.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I always thought Tommy Fraser was a bit under-rated. Not great by any means, mind, but a bit better than most gave him credit for. Mind you, I only saw him play a few times, and one of those was THAT GOAL at Hereford, so maybe that slants my judgement a little.

And Fraser has signed for B Hill this season i believe.

JFC would be my choice.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Codner
Barnes
Colunga
Bruno
Stephens
That French guy who ended up at Orient and was sent off with Barnes against Burnley.
Wendy Wilkins

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Codner
Barnes
Colunga
Bruno
Stephens
That French guy who ended up at Orient and was sent off with Barnes against Burnley.
Wendy Wilkins

Romain Vincelot? I really liked him as well, a good utility player and I remember him scoring a great header against Coventry in the first Amex season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Romain Vincelot? I really liked him as well, a good utility player and I remember him scoring a great header against Coventry in the first Amex season.

Thanks, that's the one

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
From what little we/I saw of him, Paddy McCourt. Clearly a football genius who needed to be played often enough so that the rest of the team knew what he was going to do next. It's not often that you see someone ghost past players like he does. Born 30 years too late sadly.
Danny Holla too - can certainly pick a pass and perhaps needs to be played further up the pitch?

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
Amongst others, Mark Gall and Robert Codner.

Current squad, I'd say Stephens and Bruno.

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
Baldock. Whilst its seems that the consensus is that he's at least decent now, he is still seen as a failure of a signing by many. I think he adapted very well out of position on the left wing and if played up front would score loads. Also, people use the fact that "he's not proven in the championship" as leverage to slate him, when actually he was very good at West Ham and most of their fans were disappointed to see him leave. He started brilliantly there, scoring something like 4 in his first 5 before getting a long term injury and wasn't ready for the step up to the prem when he was back. He then scored 30 odd in league one when actually played in his natural position. Bearing in mind the awful service our team was providing last year it's ridiculous to me that people have already written him off, and if played in a front 2 with Hemed next year, I can see him doing very well.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Amongst others, Mark Gall and Robert Codner.

Current squad, I'd say Stephens and Bruno.
Eh? EVERYBODY rated Mark Gall. He was absolute class.

Personally, Baldock is my shout amongst the current crop. I genuinely believe he could be a very decent player in the right formation. FAR more so than I ever believed CMS would ever turn out to be.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I rated Joe Anyinsah when he was here on loan but his career quickly went down the shitter, seems he was released by Hayes & Yeading last year and hasn't found a new club. Could've been so different.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Baldock, Stockdale & JFC for me from the current crop. I genuinely believe that Baldock through the middle will be prolific with the right service. And Stockdale had an admittedly shaky start but the haters ignored the numerous point-saving contributions he made through the rest of the season, saying that was "just his job" whereas every single goal that went in they attributed to him. JFC with an enforcer and a more creative player alongside him will, IMO, prove himself to be a very good "pivot" player in a 3 man midfield.

Another shout for Vincelot and Jamie Smith from players past.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here