Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minutes silence on Friday

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Don't know if this has been covered elsewhere, but wondered what the opinion was on here .
Yes, a tragic event, but does it warrant a national minutes silence when we had soldiers giving their lives in recent hostilities, these people were on holiday, not doing 'heroic' acts........there by the grace of God go I........thoughts ? And yes, I do realise we have a Rememberance Day for servicemen.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
They were innocent people who were just enjoying a holiday and murdered in cold blood. Soldiers, nowadays, have a choice whether to join up or not. They do have a good idea that they're going into hostile situations.
I'm willing to give them a minute of my time to respect them.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I would assume it's because of the reasons you mention. They were on holiday and completely innocent. Our soldiers, as heroic as they are and as much respect as I have for them, sign up to go into war zones.

A good friend of mine has just left and says his and a lot of his friends feeling was that if they weren't in battle they weren't really working. Therefore the chances of a fatal shot are far higher than these people enjoying a week in the sun

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Tragic event but I don't agree with a national minutes silence. How long before we head down the route of national days of mourning and the like. People are obviously free to observe and no doubt most people, including myself, have already spent time contemplating what happened. Is there an official cut off say, if under 20 dead then no minutes silence, over 20 then it's ok. Some may agree and others won't.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Some people on here will be more outraged at a national minutes silence than they are with the attack. This is the world we live in.
I'm not home right now, but myself & fellow Brits here will be coming together to observe it.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I'm afraid that I view the proposed minutes silence somewhat cynically as being more aimed at garnering support for the government by trying to make it appear empathetic. The return of those slaughtered is being well catalogued and I will endeavour to pay my respects in ways I feel appropriate

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
There is nothing wrong with a minute or two of silent reflection for recent tragic events. Maybe one day countries can do it for tragedies regardless of the nationality with highest death-toll.

cirC

Jul 26, 2004
Tupnorth
Public outrage at this atrocity appears to be extremely thin on the ground for whatever reason. Very strange.

God forbid that someone should condem anything at all to do with islam.You would end up in court for Islamaphobia.
On a separate matter I see a family from Luton has gone awol in Syria.Willing to bet it's the fault of the police or security services?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Don't know if this has been covered elsewhere, but wondered what the opinion was on here .
Yes, a tragic event, but does it warrant a national minutes silence when we had soldiers giving their lives in recent hostilities, these people were on holiday, not doing 'heroic' acts........there by the grace of God go I........thoughts ? And yes, I do realise we have a Rememberance Day for servicemen.

You could always use that minute ..yes just a minute reflecting on all the people that died that day (there were other incidents) just going about there daily lives etc etc...personally it seems a good idea to me.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
It never ceases to amaze me the hours people seem to put into whinging about a solitary minute in their lives. It's up to you whether you observe it or not and I'd sooner reflect upon the deaths of dozens of innocents than the loss of, brave as they are, servicemen/women trained to fight and kill through their own choice.

A tragedy for all the families, but why should governments and media try and control our grief! The live footage of the coffins was an outrageous intrusion on a sad time for all those concerned. Guilty governments trying to bring us all aboard. A minutes silence has now become a media event.

These poor families should be allowed to grieve and I shall say my prayers for them.:-(

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
God forbid that someone should condem anything at all to do with islam.You would end up in court for Islamaphobia.
On a separate matter I see a family from Luton has gone awol in Syria.Willing to bet it's the fault of the police or security services?

It's not a phobia. A phobia is an irrational fear. These ****ers are out to kill us.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It never ceases to amaze me the hours people seem to put into whinging about a solitary minute in their lives. It's up to you whether you observe it or not and I'd sooner reflect upon the deaths of dozens of innocents than the loss of, brave as they are, servicemen/women trained to fight and kill through their own choice.

The point I was making is that if you feel like the way you describe, you should already have spent some time thinking about what happened and to whom. You don't have to do it in some orchestrated fashion. My view is that grief and reflection should be on a personal scale, not a public display. That said, if people want to then I'm not stopping them.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I'm not sure who the beneficiaries of this are? Is it to help the families, the government, a stand against the terrorists? It's a sad event that has wrecked the lives of numerous families but possibly no different to the lives wrecked through daily accidental deaths on the road.

Do those who abide by the silence actually feel the need to reflect at that particular time, as I suspect most of us have given it much thought in recent days, or do they subscribe because they feel they need to be seen to for some reason.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here