Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Foreigners provide 'better value' than Englishmen

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Amazing, first time I've ever heard this theory.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
It's definitely the case. It's very rare to sign an English player for less, or even just the same, as a player of the same standard from abroad.

We'd never have been able to afford Ulloa if he'd been an Englishman at a Championship side.

It's one of the reasons that having a top quality training facility is such an important move for the club long term.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Barber says they still have "a lot of work to do" before the transfer window closes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Totally agree.

Footballer shopping in England is just for lazy teams who have to much money (debt).

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
When you pay Johnny Foreigner less than you do someone born here for the same job then it's always better value for money, doesn't matter if it's football or shelf-stacking at Lidl. Does it make it right though?

And I don't think our foreign scouting has been a great success either. We've had loads of dodgy signings recently: Toko, Bergkamp, that Latvian, Adgestein, Colunga, Rodriguez....we didn't get much value out of those.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
They don't offer greater value, they offer greater reward but that comes with greater risk.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And I don't think our foreign scouting has been a great success either. We've had loads of dodgy signings recently: Toko, Bergkamp, that Latvian, Adgestein, Colunga, Rodriguez....we didn't get much value out of those.
True but combining that lot of imports, Kemy we got from Swansea, probably comes in at the same price as one of Chris Wood's legs.

If one of them 'makes it' as the next Ulloa, surely the ends justify the means.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Last time I looked, this was a business. It ain't pub league.

Any business whose bosses aren't paying below the odds for inventory of the same or better quality when they can get it, isn't worth investing in.

Whether that's the lower leagues (no ambition!), PL players either injury-prone, or aging out (too risky!) or loanees (no loyalty!), or players from abroad (not English!) doesn't matter. NSC will always blow a gasket.

England gave the world football, the world's just returning the favor.

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
True but combining that lot of imports, Kemy we got from Swansea, probably comes in at the same price as one of Chris Wood's legs.

If one of them 'makes it' as the next Ulloa, surely the ends justify the means.

So you advocate a scatter-gun approach. Get lots of imports in because they're cheaper and hope that one of them pays off. No thanks.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I wonder how different recruiting footballers is to recruiting in the "real world"?

I'm personally involved in recruiting maybe 50 people a year, and have been so for about 20 years. My experience is roughly: 10% - WTF was I thinking? Get rid asap; 10% - Blimey, s/he's brilliant - let's keep this one as long as we can; and the other 80% on a sliding scale between those two extremes. The trick is not to believe that you can materially alter your success rate at recruiting stunners or that you can materially reduce the number of total losers, because the law of diminishing returns comes into play - the amount of effort required to avoid one loser or hire one more stunner is simply too high. Instead focus on recruiting rather fewer lower quartile folk and rather more upper quartile folk - it's both easier to do and will have a bigger impact overall.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So you advocate a scatter-gun approach. Get lots of imports in because they're cheaper and hope that one of them pays off. No thanks.
Oh no, in fairness the bulk of our recruitment was scatter-gun.

I don't see the harm in 'taking a punt on a few maybe's', while waiting for the academy.

As said it's not like English talent is an exact science either.
Although Burker did seem to know the English juniors.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Does a journeyman ever really come good?

I wonder how different recruiting footballers is to recruiting in the "real world"?

I'm personally involved in recruiting maybe 50 people a year, and have been so for about 20 years. My experience is roughly: 10% - WTF was I thinking? Get rid asap; 10% - Blimey, s/he's brilliant - let's keep this one as long as we can; and the other 80% on a sliding scale between those two extremes. The trick is not to believe that you can materially alter your success rate at recruiting stunners or that you can materially reduce the number of total losers, because the law of diminishing returns comes into play - the amount of effort required to avoid one loser or hire one more stunner is simply too high. Instead focus on recruiting rather fewer lower quartile folk and rather more upper quartile folk - it's both easier to do and will have a bigger impact overall.

One person in recruitment? part of a team? Is there a psychologist? (assuming it is not a selling team)

Do journeymen with a good CV appear better than they really are, and can even be a problem?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here