Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Bt phone line problems.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Morning
Have recently upgraded to BT Infinity Broadband from the normal chugging broadband.
All okay internet wise, but I started to get crackling sounds on phone, contacted BT 151, who did tests, & according to them no issues.
Have managed to wangle an engineer to come out at no charge.
Any of you guys had similar issues? :)

D

Deleted member 22389

Morning
Have recently upgraded to BT Infinity Broadband from the normal chugging broadband.
All okay internet wise, but I started to get crackling sounds on phone, contacted BT 151, who did tests, & according to them no issues.
Have managed to wangle an engineer to come out at no charge.
Any of you guys had similar issues? :)

I get that too and it was fine before I switched to Infinity. Let me know what the Engineer says.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If the line tests ok then it's likely to be a corroded joint causing the noise, probably outside somewhere. A bit of wet gets in and corrosion sets in, then a bit of dry weather and it dries out, so the test comes back ok. The test they did checks each leg of the line to earth and resistance across the pair; because an idle line has a capacitor across it, it's not possible to do a loop resistance check - all they can do is test the discharge rate of the capacitor in either direction (should be the same).
Is your property fed from a telegraph pole ?

Edit: It's not infinity per se that's the problem but it might be a poorly made connection (when I had mine done I had to tell the contractor who did it where the street cabinet was, which gives some measure of the quality they are employing to do it)

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
If the line tests ok then it's likely to be a corroded joint causing the noise, probably outside somewhere. A bit of wet gets in and corrosion sets in, then a bit of dry weather and it dries out, so the test comes back ok. The test they did checks each leg of the line to earth and resistance across the pair; because an idle line has a capacitor across it, it's not possible to do a loop resistance check - all they can do is test the discharge rate of the capacitor in either direction (should be the same).
Is your property fed from a telegraph pole ?

Edit: It's not infinity per se that's the problem but it might be a poorly made connection (when I had mine done I had to tell the contractor who did it where the street cabinet was, which gives some measure of the quality they are employing to do it)

No telegraph pole, line in underground :thumbsup:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I've had exactly the same issue on my phone line for years, even before I had BT Infinity installed. They did a line test and couldn't find any issue either so I guess it's a dodgy connection somewhere (I've tried all the sockets too). I very rarely use the phone anyway so I haven't pursued it any further.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here