Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgin Media - Moving Home - NoCanDo

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Arrghh!!!

Moving home in just over a week.
I've been on the phone multiple times to VM over the last 3-4 weeks to tell them this.

A key point being, I can't confirm my new address yet, but once I do, I'll let you know ASAP.
Told them this morning, confirmed the address.

VM: "Sorry Sir, we can't provide a service at that address. We will now have to cancel your services and we will bill you £240.00 as an early termination fee".

I pushed for about an hour, tried everything in the book.
There's no one I can transfer my services to and I have no idea who's moving into my current place after me to transfer the services to.

It seems totally unjustified that I have to pay £240 as they can't provide services?

Currently fuming in the corner.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
I had exactly the same thing last year. Eventually managed to terminate free of charge as they had hiked the price up a month or so before-they legally have to let you cancel if you don't agree on the new price. A long shot but have you had a price increase recently?

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
Pay it too. We didn't, as we were in the same situation as you, and the credit score was affected. Rather shit, but pay it. And do Freesat +. Sky and Virgin are stupidly priced.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I had exactly the same thing last year. Eventually managed to terminate free of charge as they had hiked the price up a month or so before-they legally have to let you cancel if you don't agree on the new price. A long shot but have you had a price increase recently?

I've just had a look into this but I've had no price increases. Thanks though.

Pay it too. We didn't, as we were in the same situation as you, and the credit score was affected. Rather shit, but pay it. And do Freesat +. Sky and Virgin are stupidly priced.

Yeah I wouldn't let it affect my credit score so worst case is that I'll just have to fist over the cash. Seems out of line to cancel my services and charge the the full-whack as they can't provide services at my new place.
Was trying to come to a resolution, pay half the fees etc but no dice.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I assume because you are within terms of a contract? I cancelled as moving to a no cable area and only had to give 30 days notice as I was out of my initial 18month term

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Sky have offered to pay Virgins termination fee for me in the past if I took their services. Might be worth a try a call if you still require a package.

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
I thought that, if you move (even within a contract period), ask them to provide the service at the new address, and they say that they cannot provide the service at that location, then they are legally obliged to let you cancel free of charge. I suggest you check with CAB or OfCom, and register a complaint if this is indeed the case and VM still refuse to let you off the payment.
Also, if you refuse to pay because you are disputing the payment and you still get a bad credit reference from it, you can raise a "Notice of correction" to explain the dispute and it should be removed from your credit history. (Just register with Noddle or your preferred Credit Check organisation, if you haven't done so already.)

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I assume because you are within terms of a contract? I cancelled as moving to a no cable area and only had to give 30 days notice as I was out of my initial 18month term

Yep, still within the agreement unfortunately.

Sky have offered to pay Virgins termination fee for me in the past if I took their services. Might be worth a try a call if you still require a package.

Good shout but I don't require another media package.

I thought that, if you move (even within a contract period), ask them to provide the service at the new address, and they say that they cannot provide the service at that location, then they are legally obliged to let you cancel free of charge. I suggest you check with CAB or OfCom, and register a complaint if this is indeed the case and VM still refuse to let you off the payment.
Also, if you refuse to pay because you are disputing the payment and you still get a bad credit reference from it, you can raise a "Notice of correction" to explain the dispute and it should be removed from your credit history. (Just register with Noddle or your preferred Credit Check organisation, if you haven't done so already.)

I'll have a read through the T&C's but I'm fairly sure that they state that the contract is taken at the given address. Moves are allowed but the responsibility is still on me.

Can OP offer the buyer of house a bung, to take over the contract?

It's Let through an Agency, who are utter dog-turd.
I'd happily offer them £50 to take it over but no way of getting in contact.

Looks like I'll have to suck it up and hand the cash over. Angrily.

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
I'll have a read through the T&C's but I'm fairly sure that they state that the contract is taken at the given address. Moves are allowed but the responsibility
is still on me.

If it is a legal obligation, their T&Cs cannot get them out of it. I would suspect that T&Cs could be deemed null and void if they include something they're not legally allowed to, so their legal teams would be cautious about that. Make sure that you check the wording carefully, and if something is implied but not clearly specified, then you may find that it's not something they can hold you to (although perhaps they would like you to infer it so that you don't challenge them).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here