Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Classic films you never liked alternative recommendation

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Never understood the fuss about The Shawshank Redemption.

Cool Hand Luke or Papillon covers the same themes but much better in my opinion.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
I used to like Papillon (both book and film) until I found out that Henri Charriere was as much a writer of fiction as Stephen King, who wrote The Shawshank Redemption.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Although a big fan of Scorcese, I thought 'Raging Bull' was overlong and a bit up itself. I know I'm a Philistine, but I preferred 'Rocky,' a very good film which has been devalued by its sequels.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Forest Gump is good but criminally overrated.

You're not joking about being criminally overrated. It beat The Shawshank Redemption, Four Weddings & Pulp Fiction to the 1995 best picture Oscar.

I'd disagree that its good though. It had a misguided belief in its own profundity, but, in reality, was a hollow vessel. I particularly hated the shoe-horned glib references like that to Midnight Cowboy. Zelig had already done everything it tried to do, in a far more interesting way.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
You're not joking about being criminally overrated. It beat The Shawshank Redemption, Four Weddings & Pulp Fiction to the 1995 best picture Oscar.

I'd disagree that its good though. It had a misguided belief in its own profundity, but, in reality, was a hollow vessel. I particularly hated the shoe-horned glib references like that to Midnight Cowboy. Zelig had already done everything it tried to do, in a far more interesting way.

Over rated, possibly. Not good though, that's something I disagree with. Clever, funny and moving, it is a film which i find incredibly easy to enjoy, with quotable lines that have become part of the English language. It is also not surprising that it won the Best Picture Oscar. A story about a disabled american, over coming all the odds to touch the hearts of many and meet his love. Ticks all the boxes and ticks them very well.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Over rated, possibly. Not good though, that's something I disagree with. Clever, funny and moving, it is a film which i find incredibly easy to enjoy, with quotable lines that have become part of the English language. It is also not surprising that it won the Best Picture Oscar. A story about a disabled american, over coming all the odds to touch the hearts of many and meet his love. Ticks all the boxes and ticks them very well.

It was the first film I went to see with the woman who became my wife. We found out on the way home that we both thought it was awful and only sat through it because we didn't want to spoil it for each other. You're right that it was obvious Oscar fodder for the Americans, with all the things you mention, plus the references to their country's recent historical landmarks that they love rewriting.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I hated Forrest Gump, a celebration of imbecility. The idea that dumbing things down and presenting them in homespun language in some way represents honesty and profundity seems to me to be a direct link to the horrors that we see in every Republican Party leadership race. 'Being There' approaches this in a much more interesting way.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here