Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Watch President Obama sing!

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
This was at the funeral service of Senator Reverend Pinkney who was gunned down along with eight others of his flock at his church in Charleston, USA.

Omazing indeed! In my opinion, Obama is everything that David Cameron cannot even hope to aspire to.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
In my opinion, Obama is everything that David Cameron cannot even hope to aspire to.

I'm up to my armpits in people who think he's a Kenyan Islamofascist dictator who's going to take all their guns and then put them in re-education camps where they'll be forced to gay-marry a representative of a health insurance company. It is unclear whether this is before or after the compulsory abortion.

Except for the other ones, who believe he's a Wall Street puppet chosen to figurhead the US/EU/ECB/NATO octopus' drone-driven march of conquest.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
God help us all if another Bush gets in!!

Obama has been a refreshing change and will be missed when he goes.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
A certain part of me thinks that if he wasn't black, he would just get laughed at by doing that. It takes some balls though, for someone in his position, and fair play to him for doing it.

I think he's a terrific orator, especially when he's ad-libbing. I'm sure plenty of people will criticise him for many things, not closing Guantanamo etc., not clamping down on guns (virtually impossible in that country, unfortunately), but I for one will miss him when he's gone.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Been refreshing to have a President who actually gives something for what other leaders think, and I think his joining in with the church congregation was genuine rather than a photo opportunity. The dead Pastor was a personal friend of his too, so no reason for him not to be there.

On another note, did anyone see the documentary on Arthur Ashe last night? A true gentleman, who campaigned quietly and behind the scenes for black liberation, but refused to be made a martyr. One of the blokes interviewed admitted that meant Ashe got far more of a hearing than he, one of the militants, did. When he won Wimbledon in 1975, he just raised a hand in acknowledgement, shook Jimmy Connors' hand and walked off the court. A tragic loss, dying of AIDS due to contaminated blood received during a heart operation, but he bore that with dignity too.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
A certain part of me thinks that if he wasn't black, he would just get laughed at by doing that. It takes some balls though, for someone in his position, and fair play to him for doing it.

What he did I don't think was out of place in the tradition and culture of that charismatic church style. In the context of the funeral of his friend it added a poignancy. His whole eulogy successfully identified the struggles and hopes of that congregation.

I am sure we will see him start to confront racist attitudes over the next 18 months. Perhaps taking on the gun lobby too.....

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
God help us all if another Bush gets in!!

Obama has been a refreshing change and will be missed when he goes.

Refreshing change? In appearance maybe, but that's hardly important.

In policy terms? No serious change at all.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Refreshing change? In appearance maybe, but that's hardly important.

In policy terms? No serious change at all.

A refreshing change by not going into war against another nation. Putting forward the Affordable Care act. Advocating Gay Marriage.....

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
A refreshing change by not going into war against another nation. Putting forward the Affordable Care act. Advocating Gay Marriage.....

More bombs dropped on more nations than Bush. The Affordable care act is making health insurance unaffordable, but it does give a massive guarantee of effective government subsidee to large insurance corporations.

Gay marriage? Ok great, but in the wider context of things that's not the biggest or most important issue in the world. Or at least it wasn't.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013

I think he's a terrific orator, especially when he's ad-libbing. I'm sure plenty of people will criticise him for many things, not closing Guantanamo etc., not clamping down on guns (virtually impossible in that country, unfortunately), but I for one will miss him when he's gone.
He's also half white as well or mixed race.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
More bombs dropped on more nations than Bush. The Affordable care act is making health insurance unaffordable, but it does give a massive guarantee of effective government subsidee to large insurance corporations.

Gay marriage? Ok great, but in the wider context of things that's not the biggest or most important issue in the world. Or at least it wasn't.

I'm sure it could be argued that a lot of those bombs were dropped as an indirect result of what Bush did.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Obviously Obama and Bush, Democrats and Republicans, have different ideologies. The former is more in tune with European values, so to us is the lesser of two evils.

However despite Obama moving America forward in some ways, it is still obvious who he really serves - America is a corporatocracy, Obama has no choice but to serve the corporations, even if he is well meaning. This is evident in his pushing of TTIP/TPP and government snooping policies.

Agreed, its of course still America, whoever is in charge. But the world feels a slightly less safe place when there is a Republican in the White House, particularly when its a Bush.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I'm sure it could be argued that a lot of those bombs were dropped as an indirect result of what Bush did.

Somalia? Yemen? Libya? Syria?

There were also those who would argue that Bush wasn't responsible for the Wars he started or the bombs he dropped. Most of those defending him did so because they liked him, and wanted to defend him. Same goes for Obama today.

Bush was responsible for his decisions as President. So is Obama.

Countries bombed: Obama 7, Bush 4

http://www.politifact.com/punditfac...nderson-obama-has-bombed-twice-many-muslim-c/

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
You perceive no policy change between Dubbleya and Obama. Really?

No serious change. Foreign Policy - the same, Economic Policy - the same, Criminal Justice system - the same.

But I guess Gay Marriage, so...

Please.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here