Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another vital fireman animal rescue - this time a wedged hedgehog

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
BBC story

Hedgehog trapped in railings 'misjudged own girth'

A hedgehog who misjudged his own girth was rescued by firefighters after becoming wedged between railings.

_83859061_img_20150614_115914779.jpg _83859064_img_20150614_122513272_hdr.jpg

The hedgehog found himself in a tight squeeze when he tried to negotiate the gate on Old Station Road in Newmarket, Suffolk.

Firefighters were called to bend the bars and release the animal.
The RSPCA said it thought the animal, which has now been returned to the wild, may have got trapped because hedgehogs are short sighted.
The animal was spotted on Sunday morning but it is thought it became stuck overnight.

"It is hard to imagine how this little thing got himself into such a tight squeeze," Inspector Richard Lythgoe said.
"I can only imagine he misjudged the width of the bars, or perhaps did not see them clearly as hedgehogs are short-sighted.
"He was so firmly wedged in between the bars of this gate that the fire crews had to completely stretch them to get him out, and even then all his little spines were squashed down."

Despite being an experienced animal rescuer, Mr Lythgoe said releasing the hedgehog without the help of Suffolk Fire and Rescue officers was beyond his abilities.

"They did a brilliant job," he said.

I'm all for rescuing cats up trees and dogs on icebergs in the sea but couldn't the RSPCA have gently tapped it (OK, booted his prickly derriere) through the grate rather than send out the fire service? :moo:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Henrietta was our resident hedgehog up in Wales we rescued her several times from the sumps I dug to stop to much flooding in the garden, cue me making several ladders for her to climb out on her own, I miss her waddling around the garden at night feasting in the slugs and snails.
we miss the wildlife ..............but not the Welsh

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Henrietta was our resident hedgehog up in Wales we rescued her several times from the sumps I dug to stop to much flooding in the garden, cue me making several ladders for her to climb out on her own, I miss her waddling around the garden at night feasting in the slugs and snails.
we miss the wildlife ..............but not the Welsh

:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here