Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Naylor's interview with CH

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
But, but, but Hughton is a DEFENSIVE manager!! He'll NEVER play two up front!! *Throws tantrum*

Nice to hear we may get back to attacking ways. Doesn't sound like he's expecting Bennett back either.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
He's just toying with us - we all know the only time we'll see two up front is when we're one down with ten minutes to go.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Well I'm not a lover of 4-4-2 and would much prefer to see 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
He's just toying with us - we all know the only time we'll see two up front is when we're one down with ten minutes to go.

CH is not actually a defensive manager. If he gets to put together a team he feels are better than the opposition then he is very attack minded so how he playes will be based on the sucess in the transfer market. He actually plays 4-3-3 an awful lot.

One thing I would concede is that he does not often allow the full backs to go beyond the wide men he plays for fear of getting caught on the break. Some see that as being defensive. I see it as being sensibly cautious. It will be interesting to see how and where he plays Dale Stephens as he rates him very highly. I am not so sure i agree with him but then I am only a fan.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

He told the players at the end of last season that he wanted to go with a 4-4-2 next time out, and that's what they're expecting. Or, at least one of them is...

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
ALBION boss Chris Hughton still wants to sign another striker and a left-back as he plots a more central role for Sam Baldock.

Hughton has hailed the captures of Israeli No.9 Tomer Hemed from Almeria and ex-Hull full-back Liam Rosenior as a "good start" to the Seagulls' summer recruitment as the players report back today for pre-season but stressed: "We have got more work to do."
That includes another front man and a left-back, a role Rosenior occupied sometimes at Hull although he is more naturally a right-back.
Hughton, referring to the continuing striker search, told The Argus: "We have got to think about what we've lost. Leon Best went back (to Blackburn) and we've lost Craig Mackail-Smith (released). That is an area where I want to have good options.
"The good thing is Sam Baldock has had a good summer as regards his recovery. But we have identified the area we needed to improve last season was the final third and we still need to make sure we strengthen as much as we can.
"We still want to bring in a left-back, because we've lost Joe Bennett. Liam gives us competition in both of those positions (left and right-back). With Bruno and Calde it gives us really good competition in the full-back area."

Baldock will be eased back into pre-season after the cruciate knee ligament damage he sustained against Derby at the Amex in March.
Hughton used him more often than not on the left-wing but plans to deploy the former Bristol City marksman in his more favoured central role in a forward line with extra scope following the signing of Hemed.
Hughton said: "Hemed is a number nine that has played as the lone striker or as one of a two up front. He has that flexibility, which is good. "Generally I like to go with a form of two. There will be games where I'll go with two out and out strikers and games with somebody a little bit deeper off the striker. What I really want is to be able to have those options.

"I see Sam Baldock as a central player. What he has given us is a little bit of versatility. At times, if we decided to go with a 4-3-3, he gives us that flexibility but I see him prodominantly as a central striker."
Hughton's remarks will be welcomed by fans, many of whom have been crying out for Albion to operate with two central strikers on a more regular basis.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
When we have quality like Kayal and Stephens in the middle 4-4-2 should work. Be interesting to see where Ince fits next season, I wouldn't mind giving him a chance to revert to center back.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
When we have quality like Kayal and Stephens in the middle 4-4-2 should work. Be interesting to see where Ince fits next season, I wouldn't mind giving him a chance to revert to center back.

4-3-3 is the way to go for me.

In a 4-4-2 I worry about getting over run and out numbered centrally,however good Stephens and Kayal are.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
So we have Hamad, Baldock, O'Grady (possibly Colunga) and seem to be adding another.

My fear is that unless we start shipping strikers out, prospects like Tilley won't get anywhere near the subs bench except for meaningless Cup tournaments.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
So we have Hamad, Baldock, O'Grady (possibly Colunga) and seem to be adding another.

My fear is that unless we start shipping strikers out, prospects like Tilley won't get anywhere near the subs bench except for meaningless Cup tournaments.
Maybe but take into account our usual injury crisis and we could be left with just two from that four.......imagine that!....no we need one more striker to add to the mix without losing anyone.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
CH is not actually a defensive manager. If he gets to put together a team he feels are better than the opposition then he is very attack minded so how he playes will be based on the sucess in the transfer market. He actually plays 4-3-3 an awful lot.

One thing I would concede is that he does not often allow the full backs to go beyond the wide men he plays for fear of getting caught on the break. Some see that as being defensive. I see it as being sensibly cautious. It will be interesting to see how and where he plays Dale Stephens as he rates him very highly. I am not so sure i agree with him but then I am only a fan.

Interesting stuff. It seems Stephens is a bit marmite to Albion fans. I reckon he's one of our best players but I know people who think he's close on useless :shrug:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

In a 4-4-2 I worry about getting over run and out numbered centrally,however good Stephens and Kayal are.
That's Baldock out wide on the left again then, assuming Hemed is the no.9, as Hughton says he is?

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Still a DULLARD

But tried, tested and almost English, which you have been crying out for for years. Not many English managers who aren't dullards tbh.

You are harder to please than Sir Albion :wink:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

I'm with you

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Colunga was shipped out on loan very shortly after Hughton arrived and we wont find out for certain if he has reported back for pre season evaluation and training unless the club mention it or he is pictured in an action photo shot from Lancing. I still think he'll sign for a Spanish outfit unless Hughton's opinion has changed. O'Gravy might not be happy , if we sign another striker he could end up as 4th choice and then see his future elsewhere.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Think he will mix it up a bit. More attacking at home and more defensive away from home.
Think at home Stephens and Kayal will work fine as a 2 in CM with Baldock just of Hamed and 2 attack minded wingers.
Away can see Ince in for Baldock, Stephens further forward and a more solid look.
We need to find the right balance I agree but we should be going out to try to win football matches rather than being afraid we may lose them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here