Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is the worst offer a major brand has tried to get your business with?

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Opened my post today.

Sainsbury's are trying to get me to do my weekly-shop with them for the next three weeks.

They are offering 200 Bonus Nectar points in total over the three weeks. Two 50 Bonus coupons and (The big one) one 100 Bonus Nectar point Coupon.

Am I correct in thinking these coupons are worth £1 in total (2x 25p and 1x50p) over the three weeks? Do they think by dressing up 25p as 50 points I will think this is an amazing offer?!

I would have been happier to be offered nothing.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Groupon, 2 for 1 Palace tickets. I instead sent funds to a Nigerian Prince who promised me that the bank would release my lucky lottery winnings once he had received his cash. Still waiting, just need to send another couple of grand due to Nigerian government red tape.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I went to the co-op last weekend & they were offering if you buy 4 x 568 ml (pint) cans of Stella you get a free Stella glass.It wasn't until I got home I realised the glass was 330 ml (1/2 a pint).whats the point in that.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
A training company, who shall remain nameless, offered me free day passes to Merlin rollacoster events a WEEK after the Alton Towers accident.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
Opened my post today.

Sainsbury's are trying to get me to do my weekly-shop with them for the next three weeks.

They are offering 200 Bonus Nectar points in total over the three weeks. Two 50 Bonus coupons and (The big one) one 100 Bonus Nectar point Coupon.

Am I correct in thinking these coupons are worth £1 in total (2x 25p and 1x50p) over the three weeks? Do they think by dressing up 25p as 50 points I will think this is an amazing offer?!

I received the same. It is already in the recycling bin

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I went to the co-op last weekend & they were offering if you buy 4 x 568 ml (pint) cans of Stella you get a free Stella glass.It wasn't until I got home I realised the glass was 330 ml (1/2 a pint).whats the point in that.

Pubs offer free pint glasses :moo:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Marketing people for you!

At Tesco they very kindly display the special offers but they aren't always what they seem. For weeks they have yellow price tags showing a 500g of McVities Digestives on special offer. Instead of £1.09 you can get two packets for £2.00, a whopping saving of £0.18. However, immediately next to them on the shelf are twin packs for £1.89.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Marketing people for you!

At Tesco they very kindly display the special offers but they aren't always what they seem. For weeks they have yellow price tags showing a 500g of McVities Digestives on special offer. Instead of £1.09 you can get two packets for £2.00, a whopping saving of £0.18. However, immediately next to them on the shelf are twin packs for £1.89.
If you buy digestives your only making that bellend from made in chelsea richer.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Got a call last week from Vodaphone offering to 'save me more money' by increasing my phone tariff to include a 'free' tablet!

image.jpgimage.jpg

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Opened my post today.

I did my weekly shop at Sainsburys for the first time in about 5-6 weeks last weekend. When I went and paid (total about £80), the till printed me out a £17 voucher valid for the next 4 weeks, as well as numerous nectar point vouchers for stuff I buy every week anyway.. That'll certainly get me back there this weekend.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Great timing of the thread. Earlier in the week I ordered a pair of smart shoes from ASOS and today they turned up. In the bag was what you'd expect - The normal paperwork and the shoes. However, there was an added item.

A box of Jacobs Crispbreads.

Naturally I assumed that some mental case had been inserting his packed lunch in to the bags, but turns out that I was not the only person to receive them as a gift. It's the first time I'd ordered from then so I'm not sure if this is a one-off thing, or if it always happens but I have literally no idea why Crackers would persuade me to buy clothes more often. :shrug:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I got a feller ring me telling me he could DEFINITELY save me money on my broadband - "guaranteed my friend, absolutely guaranteed"
He asked what I currently had, I told him BT ADSL2+ (at the time).
He said "You're paying 14.99 a month."
"No, less" I replied
"Ah, then you're on the old 13.99 tariff"
"No, less"
"Crikey, have you got a starting offer, extended, at 13 a month ?" (credit to him, he knew his market)
"No, Less"
"There isn't a cheaper BT Broadband tariff, how much are you paying ?"
"Nothing"
"How come ?"
"Staff free broadband"
"well why didn't you tell me at the start?"
"You never asked"
<click>

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Great timing of the thread. Earlier in the week I ordered a pair of smart shoes from ASOS and today they turned up. In the bag was what you'd expect - The normal paperwork and the shoes. However, there was an added item.

A box of Jacobs Crispbreads.

Naturally I assumed that some mental case had been inserting his packed lunch in to the bags, but turns out that I was not the only person to receive them as a gift. It's the first time I'd ordered from then so I'm not sure if this is a one-off thing, or if it always happens but I have literally no idea why Crackers would persuade me to buy clothes more often. :shrug:

We placed an order with Ironmongery Direct, and got a free chunky Kitkat

so if you buy 2 do you have to pay 2 quid? would you have to purchase two 89p bottles as separate transactions to get that price? whoever came up with that deal was an evil genius....

Not an offer, but a real Tesco experience... I wanted to buy a red pepper, but they only had a three-pack of peppers (one red, one green, one yellow). I decided to take the hit on price and pay for three peppers but, once I'd got past the checkout, I opened the pack and attempted to give the unwanted peppers away.

Absolutely NOT allowed. You'd think I'd been shoplifting from the reaction of the Tesco staff.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I virtually never buy "premium" brands any more, they're almost never worth it. I'm trying to think of an exception to this rule, perhaps Ben & Jerry's ice cream...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here