Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chile vs Uruguay

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
What a game that was. Cracking stuff from start to finish. Chile deservedly won 1-0, but Uruguay defended excellently.

Two red cards for Uruguay (of course). Some dodgy reffing. An on-pitch kerfuffle that must have lasted five minutes after the second red and I can't believe no more cards were handed out for that. Cavani's first yellow was for a lot less than some of the players did in those minutes.

Even though it was a knockout round game, the rules this year say no extra time if it's level after 90 minutes, so straight to penalties. It seemed to enliven the game.

Gonzalo Jara played from the start, as he has all tournament. He also provoked Cavani into getting his second yellow by patting his cheek then pinching his bum. Classic stuff.

Last edited:

Juan Albion

Having just seen the slow motion replay again, I must correct my account. Jara didn't pinch Cavani's bum, he tried to give him a digital rectal examination. Marvellous scenes.

provoco-Jara-Cavani_OLEIMA20150624_0231_14.jpg

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Having just seen the slow motion replay again, I must correct my account. Jara didn't pinch Cavani's bum, he tried to give him a digital rectal examination. Marvellous scenes.

provoco-Jara-Cavani_OLEIMA20150624_0231_14.jpg

Thanks you Juan, for the in depth analysis.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'm always curious as to how other nations perceive players that are sent off in a match that ends with them being knocked out.

I can remember the insane amount of grief that Beckham got after his red and whilst I'd like to think it's a regular thing I'd be amazed if the Uruguayan public, at this point, do more than shrug.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
F
I'm always curious as to how other nations perceive players that are sent off in a match that ends with them being knocked out.

I can remember the insane amount of grief that Beckham got after his red and whilst I'd like to think it's a regular thing I'd be amazed if the Uruguayan public, at this point, do more than shrug.

Iwas told by someone itk at the time, that the effigy of Beckham hanging from a lamppost, was done by a Daily Star journo

Juan Albion

What you can't see from that angle is the ref's face. It was quite unusual. Once it dawned on him that this was a second yellow for Cavani, he looked as sick as the proverbial parrot. He clearly didn't want to send him off but left himself with no choice. I've never seen such clear regret from a ref before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here