Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Big Is Glastonbury?

boik

Not seen this posted here yet, so.... Brighton.png

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So not quite as big as The Great Escape - which can be knackering to get around.

Ive never been to one of those festivals (plenty of gigs and one dayers) my question is what's with all the flags? Are they as bad as they appear on the box? (I.e you can't see anything) is it a totally act of look at me selfishness? If anyone tried that while the match was in progress they'd be pelted with missiles and abuse

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ive never been to one of those festivals (plenty of gigs and one dayers) my question is what's with all the flags? Are they as bad as they appear on the box? (I.e you can't see anything) is it a totally act of look at me selfishness? If anyone tried that while the match was in progress they'd be pelted with missiles and abuse

I think they add to the special atmosphere. I can't say they bother me. If anything they amuse me especially the Wolves flag which is there every year in the same place and the toaster one.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Blimey. I know at full tilt is has 250000-270000 people on site so I guess it's comparable to Brighton.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I've been, but it felt a lot bigger than that map - interesting. I guess one of the differences is that Glasto is generally MUCH harder to get around, compared to Brighton (even taking into account teams of chuggers with their clipboards). One of the things that put me off ever returning that was, which contributed to the disappointment of not being able to pick and choose from the performance schedule, seeing X at this stage, then going to see Y at that stage, then over to there for that performance, and then back to the first stage to see someone else. Often we found it too much grief to even move between adjacent stages. As for the flags, I think they tend to be used to mark out where specific groups of people are, so that if you go for an hour long yomp to the nearest toilets, you know where to head back to. Can be a right pain though as they can block views... it's not like they're related to the performers on stage - some are clearly "borrowed" from businesses - used car offers, fast food places, etc..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've been, but it felt a lot bigger than that map - interesting. I guess one of the differences is that Glasto is generally MUCH harder to get around, compared to Brighton (even taking into account teams of chuggers with their clipboards). One of the things that put me off ever returning that was, which contributed to the disappointment of not being able to pick and choose from the performance schedule, seeing X at this stage, then going to see Y at that stage, then over to there for that performance, and then back to the first stage to see someone else. Often we found it too much grief to even move between adjacent stages. As for the flags, I think they tend to be used to mark out where specific groups of people are, so that if you go for an hour long yomp to the nearest toilets, you know where to head back to. Can be a right pain though as they can block views... it's not like they're related to the performers on stage - some are clearly "borrowed" from businesses - used car offers, fast food places, etc..

I did exactly the same as you first time....then thought **** that and just chose a handful of bands each day to provide a loose agenda every year after that. Makes for a much more fun time IMHO.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

They barely register when you're there. I think it's just the perspective of the cameras that makes them look big on TV.

If anyone at Glasto gets pissed off at some flags I'd argue that they're not entering into the spirit of the festival.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They barely register when you're there. I think it's just the perspective of the cameras that makes them look big on TV.

If anyone at Glasto gets pissed off at some flags I'd argue that they're not entering into the spirit of the festival.

This

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Sat at home watching it fill up on the webcam, it really is quite the sight today. Four hours until I head off.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Anyone going should look out for my two stepsons wearing Yeovil Town shirts and off their heads on cider. Just go up to them holding any copy of The Argus and say "Your stepdad is Saladpack Seagull and I claim my free pint of cider!" You might not get one but they'll be absolutely gobsmacked!

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
That map is pretty impressive!!!!!
Are the camp sites outside that perimiter ? I went to Download a couple of weeks ago ,and the journey from the campsite to the main arena took us an hour and ten minutes, compensating for the mud of course. The distance from the stages is minimal. Front of any of the stages to the front of any other , about 15/20 minutes . If Glastonbury is that huge , I don't think I could cope. I would miss way too many bands , which is the one and only reason I go to Download.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That map is pretty impressive!!!!!
Are the camp sites outside that perimiter ? I went to Download a couple of weeks ago ,and the journey from the campsite to the main arena took us an hour and ten minutes, compensating for the mud of course. The distance from the stages is minimal. Front of any of the stages to the front of any other , about 15/20 minutes . If Glastonbury is that huge , I don't think I could cope. I would miss way too many bands , which is the one and only reason I go to Download.

Nope. The great thing about Glasto is you camp inside the site. And the place it open all night unlike most festivals where they kick you out until the next day.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Basically if you lose your mates at a festival it's virtually impossible to find them again. You're likely to have no phone/signal. So I'm sure the flags can help. Always managed at Reading without but still.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Nope. The great thing about Glasto is you camp inside the site. And the place it open all night unlike most festivals where they kick you out until the next day.

Interesting ...... which by definition of being open continuously for 24hours, makes it a true festival. I have never been tempted to go there , but I am at the same time ,intrigued by it ........................(Will checking in on Motorhead on Friday via the BBC)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sat at home watching it fill up on the webcam, it really is quite the sight today. Four hours until I head off.

Have a great time...haven't seen any weather forecasts yet but hope it's holding out for you and the others going :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here