Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mobile Phone- What To Buy ?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I need a new mobile phone. But, it's a bit overwhelming when looking at the options. So I thought I'd best list here what I'm looking for. I know a lot of people in NSC are pretty savvy about these things.

I don't want a contract, I'm happy with my SIM only rolling deal. So I'm looking to buy.

I like a big screen for my fat fingers.

Preferred specs:

Android

I like a good processor speed as I use the internet a lot on the go.

Good battery life (removable battery)

Reasonably good camera.

I listen to a lot of radio (especially TMS now summer is here). So that's pretty important to me.

Reasonably good storage, although I do have things stored in Dropbox.

GPS and location settings.

Apart from that I don't need any fancy additions.

It doesn't have to be a state of the art model, I know that some 2012/13 models are likely to cover the above. I got my last phone off Ebay (my other half needs one so I'm parting with it for that reason). It was a Galaxy Note II.

Hoping to pick one up for around the £150-£200 mark. If possible, new.

Hope someone has a suggestion for me. Thanks chaps.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
My boy got a motorola Moto G and is well pleased, would seem to fit all your criteria (I've never actually used it though, as me and the Mrs are on iphones).

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I got LG3 about three months ago and delighted. Very fast, great screen, camera, sound, battery life and quick to charge. Everything a top end android should be

All the reviews I read put it up there with the Samsung without the price tag

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
My boy got a motorola Moto G and is well pleased, would seem to fit all your criteria (I've never actually used it though, as me and the Mrs are on iphones).

The Moto G 2014 is a great phone, had one since December via work - I'm using the dual sim function for work / personal and it has never missed a beat.

The only thing it doesn't fit the OP's criteria with is the lack of removeable battery (although I've found the battery life to be pretty good anyway). The internal storage is only 8GB but has an SD card slot to expand it.

Highly recommended.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i advocate the Moto G, great phone.

you need to ask yourself why you need a removable battery, if its to replace a flat battery then there are load of plug in battery packs.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
I like Nokia Lumia phones (windows phones) the camera on high end Lumia range is really good. Battery life is great. On the Nokia Lumia 1320, the battery lasts 2 days.
Also has the capability to add more storage.
On some of the phones they have removable battery.
But you would be changing the operating system.
I love it. They have budget phones to high end phones.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Have a look at the onePlus one. They have recently dropped the price as there is a new onePlus two due imminently but for the money its a great spec for a phone.

https://oneplus.net/uk

Think it ticks most of your requirements.

The Moto G 2014 is a great phone, had one since December via work - I'm using the dual sim function for work / personal and it has never missed a beat.

The only thing it doesn't fit the OP's criteria with is the lack of removeable battery (although I've found the battery life to be pretty good anyway). The internal storage is only 8GB but has an SD card slot to expand it.

Highly recommended.

I have the previous version of the Motorola G and it does all I want it to do and in my view is excellent value - what are these iPhone things that people keep on about, they seem very expensive if they only do much the same thing :)

Friend has the latest versionof the "G" and also sings its praises - it is slightly bigger and as mentioned has expandable storage unlike the previous version. Perhaps Apple could adopt this radical idea, and what about having chargers with the same style plugs as the other 80% or so of mobiles?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Have a look at the onePlus one. They have recently dropped the price as there is a new onePlus two due imminently but for the money its a great spec for a phone.

https://oneplus.net/uk

Think it ticks most of your requirements.

Indeed, the spec is incredible, I was planning on staying with apple and getting the 6+, but then the OPO came along - It's a superior phone at less than a third of the price...... The OS has settled down now after a bit of a bumpy road so the battery life is back to being fantastic. I'd say that this phone lends itself to someone who is willing to invest the time in personalising it but that's not to say it doesn't work perfectly out of the box.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Thanks for that in-depth, insightful review. It's like being on The Gadget Show with such detail.
How is it any different from other people on this thread saying get this or get that?

I've had three Sony Xperias (because I'm under contract). They feel nice to hold but the build quality is poor, they are cheaply made (a bit like HTCs, you can't just replace a cracked screen without replacing the electronics it is attached to) and it has an unresolved often reported problem all over the internet, where sound just cuts out and you have to use the speaker.

So IMO, the Sony Xperia is utter gash.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I got LG3 about three months ago and delighted. Very fast, great screen, camera, sound, battery life and quick to charge. Everything a top end android should be

All the reviews I read put it up there with the Samsung without the price tag

I'd go along with this. I'm still using my LG G2, the battery life is still great and there's no sign of it slowing down when I install updates. I'd say it's better than the Samsung offerings, certainly an improvement on the Galaxy S2 I had previously.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Don't go with Vodafone
Don't go with Vodafone
Don't go with Vodafone
Don't go with Vodafone
Don't go with Vodafone

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
Another vote for Moto G from me. It is incredible value. As previously stated, it doesn't have a removable battery, but few new phones do these days. You can always get one of those recharger thingys that can be used on the go for about £10.

If you want PAYG and get a good signal from Three, then their PAYG rates are unbeatable.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Moto G - /Thread

Everything you can ask for without the removable battery. Though the battery life is pretty good.
Camera is much better than the original Moto G (3G).
I currently have the Moto G 5" (newest version) but do prefer the one I've linked below. Smaller screen but better quality overall.

The Moto G 4G phone in Asda for £80.00 PAYG with no top-up vouchers required - Click Here.

They go for between £80-£120 on Amazon also - Use NSC link to have a look.

As for Sim Cards/Networks:

Three: £15.00 p/m PAYG. Unlimited Data (no tethering), 300 mins, 3000 texts AND 25GB ROAMING DATA p/m.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
We can pick up a Samsung Galaxy s3 (refurb) from Argos for £109. 1 Year warranty. Seems Ok. Any thoughts from previous owners ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here