NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
MarcPinter_University-of-Sussex.jpg

by Marc Pinter

http://www.marcpinter.com/

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
The Amex is right on top of the spot where I studied as a student at Brighton Polytechnic. Great pic.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's funny how the view from Ditchling Beacon blots out everything except for the AMEX.

When up there I always think 'how the hell did that get built there'.
Then I remember the uni builds, a bloody great big busy road, the health club and the railway line, and think 'oh yes that's how'.

Begging your pardons, but there are some very fine buildings on the Sussex University campus, especially those that were the work of Sir Basil Spence. Falmer House, the Meeting House and the main square of the campus. Great buildings that serve their purpose well. It's just a shame that the University seems to have lost its commitment to high quality architecture midway through the 1990s or thereabouts.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Very nice. On a similar note, I can't be the only one who's spent ages marvelling at the 3D Amex on Google Earth..

image.jpg1_2.jpg

So it's not pixel perfect, but pretty damn decent. Fairly sure there are far more iconic stadiums that are still in 2D, too.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I think the IKEA Stadium should have been sunk more as it's not in a dip like the Uni and had a roof colour nearer to the environs as it is seen from the Beacon. Well aware that it is easier to get the hotel storeys through planning if a height precedent has been set.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Very nice. On a similar note, I can't be the only one who's spent ages marvelling at the 3D Amex on Google Earth..

image.jpg1_2.jpg

So it's not pixel perfect, but pretty damn decent. Fairly sure there are far more iconic stadiums that are still in 2D, too.
RE the hotel.
I know this has been done a thousand times, but I've never quite got a handle on it. (as I'm about to prove)

Is the hotel going to be built in that triangle of grassland, in the bottom right hand corner?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
RE the hotel.
I know this has been done a thousand times, but I've never quite got a handle on it. (as I'm about to prove)

Is the hotel going to be built in that triangle of grassland, in the bottom right hand corner?

That's where I believe it to be. No problem for me at ground level (unless you're staying there).

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
RE the hotel.

Yes that is correct. Plus a little bit of land from the car park.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Where is Falmer Village?

the small group of roofs about 10 o'clock from the stadium, at the bottom point of the large beige field.

pathetic that they ever complained isnt it.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I actually remember Falmer village before it had a dual carriageway through it. One of the joys of being a youngster back in the days before they invented colour was taking a walk from Coldean to the fair at Falmer. Maybe that should be Fayre as there were no rides, just lots of hay and noisey, smelly animals.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
the small group of roofs about 10 o'clock from the stadium.

pathetic that they ever complained isnt it.

Im going to give them the benefit of the doubt,perhaps they were unaware there was a massive university at the bottom of their gardens

you can ignore anything when you are blinkered

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here