Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help wanted with ebay nightmare.

Binney on acid

NSC Patreon
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
NSCers. I need your help.

I bought an iPhone on ebay a couple of weeks ago and paid by paypal immediately. I was subsequently advised that they'd ordered it and would let me know when it had arrived, so they could post it on to me. I was promised it on Wednesday, but there's no sign of it. I've lost my patience now, as well as my money and demanded a refund in full by 22:00 tonight, or the tracking number, to allow me to trace it. To date the only tracking number that I was given was the tracking number that despatched the phone to the vendor. It doesn't exist on the royal mail website.

Where do I stand with paypal? I'm under the impression that they'll intervene if you receive a product that differs substantially from the description of the product that you paid for, but won't involve themselves with the non delivery of an item. We're talking about £440 here and I can't afford to flush that sort of money down the toilet.

Thanks in advance for you input,
Binney on acid.

taz

Feb 18, 2015
Thinking you maybe jumping the gun, and have to be some little more patient, as weds was only probably an estimated time of delivery, and the delay might be of no fault of the seller, ,,PayPal will get involved if a dispute is raised by the buyer but would need a period of time ( about two weeks) and would want you to try a come to an agreement yourself with the seller before hand,, but if you do not receive your phone or it arrives damaged or not how advertised, PayPal will give you a full refund!!!!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Thinking you maybe jumping the gun, and have to be some little more patient, as weds was only probably an estimated time of delivery, and the delay might be of no fault of the seller, ,,PayPal will get involved if a dispute is raised by the buyer but would need a period of time ( about two weeks) and would want you to try a come to an agreement yourself with the seller before hand,, but if you do not receive your phone or it arrives damaged or not how advertised, PayPal will give you a full refund!!!!
Nail on head

Binney on acid

NSC Patreon
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
The actual transaction took place 2 weeks ago. Delivery was down as 11 / 12 Jun. Judging by the emails, it's obvious that they are trying to palm me off with a cheap foreign import. To date, I have received nothing. This is the last email that they sent me, on Tuesday 16th. I have heard nothing since:-

your iPhone will be with you tomorrow any time from 9am to 6pm I don't have the tracking number on me as it on our pc at the shop
and we are a way form work till thurday as we go to a Funeral tomorrow if you don't got it by 6pm tomorrow please get back to me and soon as I get back I will go to the shop and get the tracking number for you.

I'm not being callous, but I don't think they ever had the phone. I sent them this at 06:00 yesterday morning and have had no response:-

Really disappointed that I have not heard from you.
If the phone doesn't arrive by tomorrow morning, I am going to have to buy one from the apple shop on credit, because you have £445 of my money.
Please do the decent thing and either provide me with tracking details, or refund me in full.
I've been extremely patient and unless I get a satisfactory response by 22:00 this evening, I will take steps to get you barred by ebay.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
To be honest mate i wouldn't dream of parting with that sort of money on Ebay.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
have they sent you an email or ebay message ?
if it's an email, can you post the email headers ?
The text of the message looks like someone whose first language isnt english, where does the seller claim to be ?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
You can open a dispute within 45 days, any longer and you've had it.
Give it till say 35 days and then open a dispute.
PayPal and eBay will try and sort it out.
I have had a few results going down this road, although one did not end up favourable.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Forget email and phone them up instead.

Oh.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
To be honest mate i wouldn't dream of parting with that sort of money on Ebay.

Indeed - I've always used the theory of 'if you can't afford to lose it then don't spend it on Ebay'.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
As a regular ebay buyer as seller (2500+ items) I've never had a problem bring refunded when an item hasn't arrived. Similarly, when, in the past, I sent items that 'got lost in the post' ebay immediately took the amount from my paypal account pending the item being found. If the item wasn't found within their accepted timescale the buyer was refunded. Needless to say I now only ship on signed and tracked services, and I don't ship to Indonesia, Malaysia or Thailand at all.

Open an "item not received' case through the ebay process, the seller will have the money held in their account, it will take a while, but you'll get your money back.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Did you check their feedback rating before you made your purchase? If it's very low and has a lot of complaints (red), stay away!

Thanks again, Captain Hindsight, as helpful as ever.

hindsight1.jpg

Binney on acid

NSC Patreon
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
The seller's feedback was 100%, although he / she / they hadn't sold any expensive items before. It was only apparent that the seller's first language wasn't English after my immediate payment via paypal was made and messages were exchanged. l was already in dispute with someone who supplied me with a U.S.A imported apple 2 ipad on ebay a few weeks ago, and neglected to mention that it was not UK spec. This incident has compounded my feelings of negativity towards ebay. I'd only ever use an adaptor on holiday, and I'm not on holiday now. I live here.

I would recommend purchasing such products either over the counter, if you can afford them, or through gumtree. I bought an iPhone yesterday through gumtree and intend to give the original one to my daughter, if it ever turns up. What I don't understand is, if they were going to scam me, why did they offer a 64gb phone, when a 128gb iPhone 6 costs an additional £80? That's what I have now. The box is sealed and it was £400, but will need to be unlocked, as it's on Vodaphone & I'm not.

taz

Feb 18, 2015
Ebay and PayPal will have access to all emails sent to and from you regarding seller should you need to escalate it to dispute,, hopefully you Will get your phone soon and be happy with it, but if not you will get your money back,,,, buying items from outside Europe, is a lot cheaper, as long as your not in a hurry for it as most items are shipped!!

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I brought a iPad Air not long ago and like 99.9% of people it's awesome....Does seem that you've maybe brought from China or somewhere.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The seller's feedback was 100%, although he / she / they hadn't sold any expensive items before. It was only apparent that the seller's first language wasn't English after my immediate payment via paypal was made and messages were exchanged. l was already in dispute with someone who supplied me with a U.S.A imported apple 2 ipad on ebay a few weeks ago, and neglected to mention that it was not UK spec. This incident has compounded my feelings of negativity towards ebay. I'd only ever use an adaptor on holiday, and I'm not on holiday now. I live here.

I would recommend purchasing such products either over the counter, if you can afford them, or through gumtree. I bought an iPhone yesterday through gumtree and intend to give the original one to my daughter, if it ever turns up. What I don't understand is, if they were going to scam me, why did they offer a 64gb phone, when a 128gb iPhone 6 costs an additional £80? That's what I have now. The box is sealed and it was £400, but will need to be unlocked, as it's on Vodaphone & I'm not.

Reminds me of the Australian who thought they were getting a phone through an e-bay purchase but when they opened the box all it contained was a real apple.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
The actual transaction took place 2 weeks ago. Delivery was down as 11 / 12 Jun. Judging by the emails, it's obvious that they are trying to palm me off with a cheap foreign import. To date, I have received nothing. This is the last email that they sent me, on Tuesday 16th. I have heard nothing since:-

your iPhone will be with you tomorrow any time from 9am to 6pm I don't have the tracking number on me as it on our pc at the shop
and we are a way form work till thurday as we go to a Funeral tomorrow if you don't got it by 6pm tomorrow please get back to me and soon as I get back I will go to the shop and get the tracking number for you.

I'm not being callous, but I don't think they ever had the phone. I sent them this at 06:00 yesterday morning and have had no response:-

Really disappointed that I have not heard from you.
If the phone doesn't arrive by tomorrow morning, I am going to have to buy one from the apple shop on credit, because you have £445 of my money.
Please do the decent thing and either provide me with tracking details, or refund me in full.
I've been extremely patient and unless I get a satisfactory response by 22:00 this evening, I will take steps to get you barred by ebay.

If paypal/ebay don't help you (And I often deal with people who paypal have failed to help) if you paid paypal with a bank card then your card issuer should be able to charge back under goods or services not received. Reason code V30 if it's a Visa or M4855 if it's Mastercard.

You would need to provide communication with the seller and you have that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here