Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Is it just me or is anybody else getting annoyed by increasing numbers of people who start every sentence or answer to a question with an irrelevant 'So...'....?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
So how about an irrelevant Sue

sue-perkins-1_2475649b.jpg

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
I have noticed this. I find it odd, more than annoying, rather like when people begin each sentence with “Look…”. Australians, in particular, are fond of starting their sentences with “Look…”.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes!

I noticed this around 6 months ago, and it drives me insane.

I was listening to one particular interview and EVERY answer started 'So...'.

Totally irritating :nono:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I find myself doing it. People don't have time to construct an opener any more so they start a sentence as if they were already in the middle of it.

Historical figures doing da yoof:
So, I have a dream?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
There are worse phrases that have slipped into everyday use.

The 'can I get' instead of 'can I have' is awful.

Just my opinion, like.

I find myself saying that all too often, and it should be "MAY I have".

The one that has started irritating me is people saying "I'm sat" or "I'm stood", it seems to be the norm rather than the exception. :rant:

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
Yes this verbal disease has been winding me up for about 6 months now, BBC News in the morning is always interviewing some 30 something 'expert' who starts every sentence with "so". Almost as bad as the younguns of Sussex asking "can I get" instead of can I have" ggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
'To be honest'

Why do people waste their breath using this pointless omnipresent phrase? Do you normally lie all the time then, but on this occasion are choosing to tell the truth?

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
I have noticed this. I find it odd, more than annoying, rather like when people begin each sentence with “Look…”. Australians, in particular, are fond of starting their sentences with “Look…”.

Politicians in particular use this as a response to most questions. Personally find it annoying and patronising!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I always thought it was a Dutch thing. When I worked in Middelburg, the guy I shared an office with would always walk in, sit down and say "Sooooo!" nothing else, just "Sooooo!" In the manner of Ernst Stavro Blofeld addressing James Bond.

I have a Swedish aquaintance who does the very same.

"Look.." is a good one. Ricky Ponting embellished it further to an "Ah, look..."
Although the Aussie sportman's "Look" has a completely different inference to, say David Cameron's patronising "Look.." The former is no more than an audible pause for thought, the latter screams "Listen here, prole.."

I always thought it was a Dutch thing. When I worked in Middelburg, the guy I shared an office with would always walk in, sit down and say "Sooooo!" nothing else, just t"Sooooo!" In the manner of Ernst Stavro Blofeld addressing James Bond.

... And Germans say "Also", and Italians say "Dunque".

Can I get ... worked up about this? No.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
What annoys me more is people who use the word "like" about ten times a sentence.
It makes like, no like, sense to me.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here