Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How is it Derby can afford to buy players at £2.75 million?

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
There was me thinking that Derby were in a similar position to us a year ago...

couple of years flirting with promotion
lose manager

expected wheels to fall off and players not to be signed, late signings in desperation and a poor resulting season....

Looks like they are coming back much stronger....:rant:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Derby paying that amount is an exception rather than a rule - few Championship teams will
be spending that amount on one player this season.

From our perspective we have has an offer of 1.5 million accepted on a player, and 1 million bid on another so claiming we don't spend any money is unfair.

The delays to getting anything over the line comes down to agent and player power, holding out to the last minute, and also probably ourselves being a bit too Mr Nice Guy which is not in itself a bad thing.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Derby paying that amount is an exception rather than a rule - few Championship teams will
be spending that amount on one player this season.

From our perspective we have has an offer of 1.5 million accepted on a player, and 1 million bid on another so claiming we don't spend any money is unfair.

The delays to getting anything over the line comes down to agent and player power, holding out to the last minute, and also probably ourselves being a bit too Mr Nice Guy which is not in itself a bad thing.

I would say OUR inability to get deals over the line is a very, very bad thing. We just can't afford another summer like the last one (with resultant season disaster).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This. We also paid something of that order for Baldock last summer. Saying that we're not able or willing to pay transfer fees is bollocks.

True, it's just selling the club to decent players that appears the problem, bit of a worry too given the facilities.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I would say OUR inability to get deals over the line is a very, very bad thing. We just can't afford another summer like the last one (with resultant season disaster).

Yep this. And it started with the Ward willy waving. The alarm bells rang from that day on. So it was proved.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
True, it's just selling the club to decent players that appears the problem, bit of a worry too given the facilities.

thing I find difficult to understand is those at the club can sell ST's to over 20k but cannot convince players to play for us, we have a relitively new ground and brand new training ground and crowds in excess of 25k.
there is really something radically wrong somewhere

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It cannot cost Derby much less to run their stadium than the Amex costs, can it ? ???

So, their non-playing budget should be the similar to us for the Financial Foul Play accounts.

Yet they can afford decent signings, and we relax, 'safe' in the knowledge we have a small, mostly poor squad.

The only explanations I can see is that either this year Derby are going to be busting FFP ( maybe gambling it will fall apart shortly ), or that they are selling an expensive player very soon.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
It cannot cost Derby much less to run their stadium than the Amex costs, can it ? ???

So, their non-playing budget should be the similar to us for the Financial Foul Play accounts.

Yet they can afford decent signings, and we relax, safe in the knowledge we have a small, mostly poor squad.

The only explanations I can see is that either this year Derby are going to be busting FFP ( maybe gambling it will fall apart shortly ), or that they are selling an expensive player very soon.

Clearly ffp isn't holding clubs back except for those who want to use it as an excuse for not shelling out for decent players.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
True it's just selling the club to decent players that appears the problem, bit of a worry too given the facilities.

I think this is a massive worry.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong

Yet they can afford decent signings, and we relax, 'safe' in the knowledge we have a small, mostly poor squad.

I think you might be surprised. Just subsidising the travel I believe costs the club a small fortune, I'm sure it's at least a seven figure number?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

I don't know a huge amount about it but I think clearly our off field expenses are markedly lower, I made this point it another thread - That are (football) wage bills are similar now, but we seem to have more flexibility to spend money and 'comfortably' met FFP last season, given that your revenues are (or were) higher than ours, it can only be the Brighton's off field activities are proving very expensive..... There's a lot of guesswork there but.....

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think you might be surprised. Just subsidising the travel I believe costs the club a small fortune, I'm sure it's at least a seven figure number?

OK, that makes sense, but that leads onto the wider question of why does subsidising travel count as an FFP cost ? ???

Surely sustainable transport strategies should be encouraged, and exempt from FFP ? ???

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
OK, that makes sense, but that leads onto the wider question of why does subsidising travel count as an FFP cost ? ???

Surely sustainable transport strategies should be encouraged, and exempt from FFP ? ???
Possibly so, but my accounting/FFP knowledge isn't up to answering that. But even so, it's a million quid more that Tony has to subsidise.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton

This. We were told whilst residing at Withdean, that when the club was up and running at Falmer there would be no trouble attracting decent players we were after.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here