Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gbp 1 = eur 1.40

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Makes a huge difference when going on holiday compared to a couple of years ago when it was almost 1 for 1

If, and I'm sure they will, sort out the Greek issue next week, it may well drop down sharpish I guess?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I'm rather hoping they do sort out the Greek thing in some way in the next couple of weeks. I've recently bought a few at 1.3960 which I'm planning to sell when (ok, ok, if) the Euro recovers as a result of the latest Grefix.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
We got 1.36 a few weeks ago when we went to Alicante. Miles better than the 1.01 we got for Venice in 2012. Going to Barcelona in September so hopefully the Euro remains weak until then.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
It's lovely when the rate goes up, irritating when it goes down - but just imagine what it's like for businesses trying to buy and sell with the rest of Europe. It's not just about cheap drink and meals for them. No wonder manufacturers are pausing before investing in the UK. The long term prospects of many communities are in the balance, productivity is poorer than it should be and uncertainty reigns. And all for the internal convenience of the conservative party and its blazer division.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We got 1.36 a few weeks ago when we went to Alicante. Miles better than the 1.01 we got for Venice in 2012. Going to Barcelona in September so hopefully the Euro remains weak until then.

The euro will remain weak for another year or so as, amongst other factors, there is a deliberate ECB "easing" program keeping it weak.

It's great news if you're paid in sterling and live in the euro zone :wink:

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
It's lovely when the rate goes up, irritating when it goes down - but just imagine what it's like for businesses trying to buy and sell with the rest of Europe. It's not just about cheap drink and meals for them. No wonder manufacturers are pausing before investing in the UK. The long term prospects of many communities are in the balance, productivity is poorer than it should be and uncertainty reigns. And all for the internal convenience of the conservative party and its blazer division.

Do you read the daily mail?

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
Makes a huge difference when going on holiday compared to a couple of years ago when it was almost 1 for 1

If, and I'm sure they will, sort out the Greek issue next week, it may well drop down sharpish I guess?

I on the other hand expect this Greek situation to get worse, so am holding on for the Euro to weaken significantly....

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I on the other hand expect this Greek situation to get worse, so am holding on for the Euro to weaken significantly....

You could very well be right- but I really can't see Greek leaving the Euro, which would then mean leaving the EU. Mrs Markel doesn't want the great Euro project falling apart on her watch.

This would see the Greeks look elsewhere, with Russia the obvious choice because of their shared Religion - Tsipras is in Russia again this weekend, and the Greeks were very anti the sanctions over Ukraine.

This will be a Political decision, rather than an Economical one - there will be a fudge, the can will be kicked down the road, and we'll all be back here in 12 months time.

Just my opinion anyway.

Jan 30, 2008
get out of the EU then :wink:.............. when are Norway and Switzerland going to jump on the bandwagon by the way ???
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
You could very well be right- but I really can't see Greek leaving the Euro, which would then mean leaving the EU. Mrs Markel doesn't want the great Euro project falling apart on her watch.

This would see the Greeks look elsewhere, with Russia the obvious choice because of their shared Religion - Tsipras is in Russia again this weekend, and the Greeks were very anti the sanctions over Ukraine.

This will be a Political decision, rather than an Economical one - there will be a fudge, the can will be kicked down the road, and we'll all be back here in 12 months time.

Just my opinion anyway.
are you saying the Greek government are a bunch of mugs then ?
regards
DR

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is that an incentive for TB to buy a player from Europe very quick before it changes. Going to Cyprus in 10 days so should get some benefit there although aged at 1.36 but may get some more

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River

Just my opinion anyway.

Actually virtually nobody wants the Greeks to leave the Euro. Short term you are probably right that the can will be kicked down the road (again), but i'm not sure this will stimulate the Euro much.

Over a longer time horizon it seems impossible that Pensioners across the Eurozone (from the extremes of Lithuania to Germany) can afford to allow the Greeks to fully default on their debt. This being the case it will be hard for anyone to force through a political agenda in the face of worsening economic data. Having allowed the Greeks to borrow more than they can afford to repay i think the Eurozone longer term is not looking rosey....Obviously only my opinion but i am looking forward to a few years of cheaper holidays in Europe. If i had larger expenses though i would probably get some Euros now as a partial hedge!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Tsipras has just made a speech in Russia - I thought these words were interesting..........

"As all of you are aware, we are at the moment at the centre of a storm of a whirlpool, but we live near the sea so we’re not scared of the sea. We are ready to go to new seas to reach new safe ports."

I assume he means Russia?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Tsipras has just made a speech in Russia - I thought these words were interesting..........

"As all of you are aware, we are at the moment at the centre of a storm of a whirlpool, but we live near the sea so we’re not scared of the sea. We are ready to go to new seas to reach new safe ports."

I assume he means Russia?

I guess you're right. Uh oh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here