Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will your job be automated?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This is a neat site that tells you how safe your job is or whether you'll need a new career in 20 years time. I'm all right - there's only five percent chance of my job going to a robot but it's not good for taxi drivers, accountants and telemarketers

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Software Developers Applications have a
4.2%
chance of being automated.

I'll just make everyone else's job automated :D

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Software Developers Applications have a
4.2%
chance of being automated.

I'll just make everyone else's job automated :D

To be honest, when we get software that can write software, we are in Terminator territory, and we're all DOOMED.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I can't find anything in there matches my job, though I'd be surprised if it could be automated as it involves too much in the way of people management. So that's a plus!

Edit; If I'm still doing my job in 20 years I'm going to be very disappointed at myself.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think cloud computing has totally changed the way modern business require staff.

Many larger financial and SMEs would have a huge IT Staff and support industry companies that serviced large and complex hardware infrastructure, but now with the growth of virtual computing, the work can now be done remotely from offshore and run by highly technical teams.

My company has seen this first hand and certainly in the field of IT production services and recovery, the movement to R2C, recovery to cloud, and RAAS, recovery as a service is taking off.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
To be honest, when we get software that can write software, we are in Terminator territory, and we're all DOOMED.

That's unlikely to happen whilst IDIOTS are still coming up with requirements specs. for all software projects. The same IDIOTS then continuously change their minds about what they want.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Doesn't seem to be anything matching the rather odd bit of telecomms I do. Mind you, there's only 12 of us do it in the UK

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think cloud computing has totally changed the way modern business require staff.

Many larger financial and SMEs would have a huge IT Staff and support industry companies that serviced large and complex hardware infrastructure, but now with the growth of virtual computing, the work can now be done remotely from offshore and run by highly technical teams.

And there's a huge level of automation taking place: one of the things that drives the take-up of cloud is that automated scripts now replace human intervention (as we're now talking virtual machines instead of physical ones). We'll need developers like Badger for decades to come but the people who provisioned servers and worked handled storage and backup will be a dying breed

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
And there's a huge level of automation taking place: one of the things that drives the take-up of cloud is that automated scripts now replace human intervention (as we're now talking virtual machines instead of physical ones). We'll need developers like Badger for decades to come but the people who provisioned servers and worked handled storage and backup will be a dying breed

You clearly haven't seen any of my coding.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Totally agree. We use automated scripts, which as a change manager annoys the f out of me as there is no independent scrutiny, apart from the original set up, of when and why changes are made. Especially to our core infrastructure, which turning up cloud VPN/VPLSs obviously affect.

Automation is fine if people understand what to do manually when something invariably goes wrong.

My fear for our industry at the moment, is that we have so much automation that people have lost the ability to troubleshoot as they have never had the need to build a cloud environment manually. It's alright going on courses, but when you are called at 4 in the morning because someone had miscoded a configuration on a firewall that has killed a whole set of VMs, you need that expertise. BUT modern company's do not value experience as we are expensive, rather pushing work offshore where they are regarded as cheap

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
Closest I could find for me was 0.7%. Mind you, I was hoping for a package and early retirement within those 20 years. Look s like automation won't be my way out!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
as i design the automation, not likely.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

disagree with that alot (not the bit about Badger). virtual machines storage and backup system still need provisioning, designing, support, maintaining etc. you could leave it all to developers, if you want it all to fall on its face in a years time when the dev has moved on to another project. but i dont see scope for automation beyond physical installation, IT is too dynamic and unpredictable.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
As ever, my line of business is overlooked, and as a software tester I'd say the chances of developing software that is reliable enough to be trusted to automatically automate things within the next 20 years is pretty close to 0%.

Incidentally I actively try to automate as much of my job as I can - if the regression testing is automated that means I can concentrate on the new stuff.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here