Page 586 of 607 FirstFirst ... 86486536576583584585586587588589596 ... LastLast
Results 5,851 to 5,860 of 6068
  1. #5851
    Members Stat Brother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    West west west Sussex
    Posts
    50,465


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hans kraay fan club View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm always amazed that there is any real debate about Gaeten Bong.

    He is what he is - an honest pro, who works hard, defends well, is reasonably quick and strong, is reasonable good in the air, is very difficult to beat one on one, but isn't one to fly forward often on the overlap, is never going to contribute very much in an attacking sense, and whose passing is a little under par.

    If you want a solid, athletic, reliable full back, he's your man. If you want a left-sided Schelotto rampaging forward, or a Joe Bennett doing Ronaldo chops and step-overs, look elsewhere.
    And yet he is very much the go to guy for general shitehousary.
    “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
    Rarely serious, frequently taken seriously.

    .

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #5852

      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Elephant View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      What I don't understand is why we didn't ever play to feed the wingers and cross the ball in for Glenn to score again and again and again.
      Which is exactly how Glenn got 34 goals for Palace in one season. To some extent, I'm surprised he's got as many goals as he has, considering the way we have been playing.
    • #5853
      Members
      Join Date
      Jan 2015
      Posts
      5,898


      1 Not allowed!
      Ali is a good finisher and will be a better player next year. I don't have any doubts about that.

      That said. For folks to use one goal in a 5-0 route of Syria to suggest it is a gage of his progression are a little wide of the mark. Syria have won only 4 from games 22 games in the last 3 years. So the opposition really isn't what he will come up against in the PL.


      I am absolutely convinced that there will be more goals scored next year. The goals against column may or may not be a price worth paying. Only time will tell on that one.
    • #5854
      Members Stat Brother's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      West west west Sussex
      Posts
      50,465


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by NooBHA View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Ali is a good finisher and will be a better player next year. I don't have any doubts about that.

      That said. For folks to use one goal in a 5-0 route of Syria to suggest it is a gage of his progression are a little wide of the mark. Syria have won only 4 from games 22 games in the last 3 years. So the opposition really isn't what he will come up against in the PL.


      I am absolutely convinced that there will be more goals scored next year. The goals against column may or may not be a price worth paying. Only time will tell on that one.
      I haven't read anybody making any claims about his goal v Syria.
      “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
      Rarely serious, frequently taken seriously.

      .
    • #5855
      The voice of reason. hans kraay fan club's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2005
      Location
      Chandlers Ford
      Posts
      53,941


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Murray 17 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Which is exactly how Glenn got 34 goals for Palace in one season. .
      Well, that and Zaha and Bolasie falling over a lot...

      https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/glen...tbewerb_id=GB2
      The above post is simply my opinion. I am not bullying you, should it differ from your own.
    • #5856

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by hans kraay fan club View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Well, that and Zaha and Bolasie falling over a lot...

      https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/glen...tbewerb_id=GB2
      LOL!
    • #5857
      Members
      Join Date
      Jan 2015
      Posts
      5,898


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Stat Brother View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I haven't read anybody making any claims about his goal v Syria.
      LOL - Your own post #5780 reignited the discussion. Actually the post a couple prior to yours re-ignited it. You just fuelled it by posting the video
    • #5858
      Mod writer Guinness Boy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
      Posts
      15,336


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Stat Brother View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I haven't read anybody making any claims about his goal v Syria.
      Quote Originally Posted by NooBHA View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      LOL - Your own post #5780 reignited the discussion. Actually the post a couple prior to yours re-ignited it. You just fuelled it by posting the video
      To which I then added fairly much exactly what NooBHA just said - that it was a great finish but that Syria's rightback was fast asleep.
      Brighton But Only At Home

      It's a blog. About home games. And some other stuff.
    • #5859
      Members Stat Brother's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      West west west Sussex
      Posts
      50,465


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by NooBHA View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      LOL - Your own post #5780 reignited the discussion. Actually the post a couple prior to yours re-ignited it. You just fuelled it by posting the video
      I wrote about Ali scoring a goal while taking the opportunity to go fishing.

      I then flicked onto Twitter and by quite some coincidence the first tweet on my timeline was Ali scoring a goal.
      Naturally I edited that into my post about Ali scoring goals.

      I'm not entirely sure how that's gauging his progression at the Albion
      “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
      Rarely serious, frequently taken seriously.

      .
    • #5860
      Members
      Join Date
      Aug 2006
      Location
      Worthing
      Posts
      11,883


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by sussex_guy2k2 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      What does expressing themselves mean? If you're an unorganised attack with no passing structure (as we so often were) up against an organised defensive structure, who wins usually? With all things being equal, it's usually the defence. Mourinho is lucky as he's been at big clubs with exceptional attackers. Hughton less so.
      Expressing themselves in terms of individuality rather than just do the obvious. Knockaert, Bissouma and perhaps Solly apart, do we have anyone else like that?

      I would argue there was structure, but few teams ‘pass’ their way through a defence. You rely on individuality, skill or defensive lapses.

      But taking your point about structure, The issue for me, was the level of support to Murray without Gross, and the fact that when we switched to a ‘notional’ 3, the winger on the opposite side to where play was, very rarely tucked in close to Murray. We were successful in the Championship because Baldock got close to Murray.

      Some of that has to be natural, as well as coaching, same with pressing, you can coach until you’re blue in the face, but if the player doesn’t have the nouse to implement you’re stuffed.

      You are right re defence winning but that is where individuality comes in.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •