Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

teammelli

Jul 25, 2018
The one snag of GP having a masters in Leadership & Emotional Intelligence, is that he couldn’t simply utter the words “Sorry, you’re just not good enough” [AKA “Crap”].

Yes and no. His skill set is not good enough to be a world-renowned EPL player, but I think a truly intelligent managerial team would have realized from his prior experiences at NEC and AZ that Ali struggles a bit to build up the confidence but when he gets it you have to pile on the minutes and experience. He did poorly his first years at NEC and AZ before becoming a phenomenal player (granted, for that league). It was a real golden missed opportunity to play him consistently after the back to back goals vs Bournemouth and Chelsea. Now you could say this is the nature of EPL and GP in particular likes to change lineups every time he sneezes, but the reality is that anyone with an understanding of Ali’s history and play groaned when he was left out of the lineup after the Chelsea game consistently. That was a time that someone should have come to Potter and said hey listen stick this guy in for 4-5 games in a row after he has started producing. I get it though, in that especially with a team that is constantly fighting relegation and in a league that is high stakes, you need to be able to turn that switch on at an instant. Ali’s just not that kind of player.

I do think, however, that the constant changing lineups and lack of consistency does get into certain players’ minds as a lack of confidence from the manager and does lead to reduced yield/outcomes.

Just my two pence.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yes and no. His skill set is not good enough to be a world-renowned EPL player, but I think a truly intelligent managerial team would have realized from his prior experiences at NEC and AZ that Ali struggles a bit to build up the confidence but when he gets it you have to pile on the minutes and experience. He did poorly his first years at NEC and AZ before becoming a phenomenal player (granted, for that league). It was a real golden missed opportunity to play him consistently after the back to back goals vs Bournemouth and Chelsea. Now you could say this is the nature of EPL and GP in particular likes to change lineups every time he sneezes, but the reality is that anyone with an understanding of Ali’s history and play groaned when he was left out of the lineup after the Chelsea game consistently. That was a time that someone should have come to Potter and said hey listen stick this guy in for 4-5 games in a row after he has started producing. I get it though, in that especially with a team that is constantly fighting relegation and in a league that is high stakes, you need to be able to turn that switch on at an instant. Ali’s just not that kind of player.

I do think, however, that the constant changing lineups and lack of consistency does get into certain players’ minds as a lack of confidence from the manager and does lead to reduced yield/outcomes.

Just my two pence.
I found the whole signing very strange, most clubs play their record signing every game until they start producing and justify the fee. He never got a chance to really adapt and adjust to this league. To come in for few minutes every now and again would be hard for any player. We have worse players in the squad who got more minutes.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I found the whole signing very strange, most clubs play their record signing every game until they start producing and justify the fee. He never got a chance to really adapt and adjust to this league. To come in for few minutes every now and again would be hard for any player. We have worse players in the squad who got more minutes.

Didn’t he get 17 starts on the spin under Hughton without a goal or an assist?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Why are people getting their backs up over that? Doesn’t slag anyone off. Just clearly frustrated that he wasn’t rated and couldn’t understand why. I hope he does well and also seemed like a decent guy, things just didn’t work out and I’m sure it wasn’t through a lack of trying.

Should have been let go last year not kept back another year.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Why are people getting their backs up over that? Doesn’t slag anyone off. Just clearly frustrated that he wasn’t rated and couldn’t understand why. I hope he does well and also seemed like a decent guy, things just didn’t work out and I’m sure it wasn’t through a lack of trying.

Should have been let go last year not kept back another year.
To be fair to him it looked like he might just be getting there when he scored against Chelsea and Bournemouth then was dropped and we could not score.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
What a ****. He should be embarrassed about what he produced for that fee and on those wages over three years. Two decent games in the Carabao Cup and an overhead kick. Three seasons, two managers. Not good enough

Never believed in him because of lack of pace, not good at tracking back.
In my opinion he was a poor signing and at best would have looked good at a mid table Championship side. I hope the club finally realise that unless they have had the quality to have played regularly for Ajax then Dutch/Iran players are unable to compete in the PL.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Never believed in him because of lack of pace, not good at tracking back.
In my opinion he was a poor signing and at best would have looked good at a mid table Championship side. I hope the club finally realise that unless they have had the quality to have played regularly for Ajax then Dutch/Iran players are unable to compete in the PL.

To be fair to the club, he was the standout player in that division abd the best player Iran has produced. Plenty of top players come from the Dutch league (Suarez, Van Nistelrooy, Van Dijk via Celtic etc), it’s just how well they will step up that’s hard to predict. The Championship is the same; look at Knockaert, Mitrovic, Harry Wilson and Tom Cairney.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Just my two pence.

I think the time to adjust is a fair point, but the bottom line is, AJ needs time and space which you don’t get in the PL. Never mind games, he was at times dreadfully out of his depth and did not have anything like the pace required to succeed.

I think (would hope) we all wish him well and he is back at what is a good level for him.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
To be fair to the club, he was the standout player in that division abd the best player Iran has produced. Plenty of top players come from the Dutch league (Suarez, Van Nistelrooy, Van Dijk via Celtic etc), it’s just how well they will step up that’s hard to predict. The Championship is the same; look at Knockaert, Mitrovic, Harry Wilson and Tom Cairney.

I remember watching him play in an Iran match in those early days. It’s always stayed with me how, for whatever reason, his team mates rarely passed to him. The game just seemed to pass the golden boy by.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Over 9000 posts on the thread and all the way through it I've said he wasn't quite quick enough, wasn't quite strong enough and needs the sort of time and space you get in Holland. Looks like GP agreed :shrug:

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
The one snag of GP having a masters in Leadership & Emotional Intelligence, is that he couldn’t simply utter the words “Sorry, you’re just not good enough” [AKA “Crap”].

Balogun and Ali J both seem to have said the same thing about Potter, that they never really understood what they were doing wrong, what they should do differently etc. In both cases they just weren’t good enough and perhaps you’re right that Potter was not straight enough in telling them so.

In the end he told Balogun that every other defender at the club was better than him. Balogun said at least he then knew where he stood and left.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Bit confused by some of the other things Ali J said in the interview.

He said that PSV and Ajax at some point wanted to sign him (I would guess two years ago) but that Brighton didnt want to sell. He also says that the club was "unwilling to cooperate" on a transfer... which sounds pretty weird since last summer the AZ technical director publicly stated that Brighton had offered them to take him on, but that after speaking with him for a few minutes they understood "things had changes" (= his wage demands, probably). Sounds a bit weird to me... as if he is struggling to say "I stayed for the money".

Anyway, other things of interest (?) in the interview:

On why he didnt move to Brighton when they were interested at first:

"What stopped was that the club didnt play at the highest level. I was only 21 and uncertain if it was the right career move. In the Championship you play every third day. If you get injured, you miss ten matches. So, as a joke, I said 'if you play in the Premier League, I will sign with you'."

Apparently CH was a big fan of him though, calling him several times and even being in the front row of the Eredivisie Awards stuff when Ali J got the award as the second best player and the top scorer. However, when Ali came to England he got disappointed.

"Before coming to the club, I had watched Brightons first season in the Premier League closely. Then they played really good attacking football, beating Manchester United and Arsenal. I thought: ok, I like this."

But the second year is often different.

"The new thing is gone, opponents know how you play. Hughton often told me: "Ali, one point is important too". In the matches I was more of a right back than a right midfielder, and I also had bad luck with a few injuries".

He then goes on to speak on how the 3-5-2 didnt suit him and that he never got the chance etc but also says it was difficult to leave:

"I was used to the city, loved the people and had a good relationship with the staff and most of the club people. But I just want to regain my value on the field. I didnt get that chance, so I had to move on. But I have absolutely no regrets about Brighton."

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Balogun and Ali J both seem to have said the same thing about Potter, that they never really understood what they were doing wrong, what they should do differently etc. In both cases they just weren’t good enough and perhaps you’re right that Potter was not straight enough in telling them so.

In the end he told Balogun that every other defender at the club was better than him. Balogun said at least he then knew where he stood and left.

"Sorry son, you're a good lad but every other attacking option I have is better than you, including the angry leprechaun who keeps ending up in the tabloids and the Swiss U21 that I play at left back"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here