Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I haven't been anything like as critical of Knockaert (note the spelling, how long has he been here for?) as people have been of Jahanbakhsh. And there's a big difference between the two in terms of the team being set up to benefit one at the expense of the other, and fans choosing to overlook the reality because of past glories. If Knockaert was a new signing last summer and performed as he did, he'd be getting slated. But we all like the guy because of his performances in the Championship - he was THE reason (along with Murray) that we got promoted that season. That will ALWAYS be his legacy, much like Hughton. When the dust settles in 10 years and we're reminiscing about this team, there will only be positives about Knockaert, Hughton, et al. But even so, it doesn't mean we have to blind to the limitations of these guys.

If you're asking, I think Jahanbakhsh is far superior to Knockaert. I'm confident that will be justified before the end of the season and I believe Jahanbakhsh will match Knockaert's goals and assists contribution from the last 2 seasons in this season alone. We all know this thread will get bounced all over the place this season - we'll soon know whether this is insightful, or nonsense.

Wow, that's quite a claim.

Luckily I'll be able to track your confidence at various parkruns or after race booze ups rather than just bouncing the thread again. I have to say that I'm nowhere near as confident. For me it's not about the style of play, it's about a lack of pace and strength that I simply don't see being resolved. It's like asking me to run sub 42 minute 10ks and bench press twice my own weight. Not going to happen in this lifetime. But I make up for it in enthusiasm and getting my round in and Ali J certainly has good technique and a nice right foot. I'm not convinced it's enough at PL level but we'll see.

A long (and slightly in-jokey) way of saying that if I was the boss and my career depended on it I would start Knockaert at wide right in the season opener, not Jahanbakhsh.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you're asking, I think Jahanbakhsh is far superior to Knockaert. I'm confident that will be justified before the end of the season and I believe Jahanbakhsh will match Knockaert's goals and assists contribution from the last 2 seasons in this season alone. We all know this thread will get bounced all over the place this season - we'll soon know whether this is insightful, or nonsense.

Having given AK a full season head start (brave move)

Ali has to surpass 5 (five) goals and 7 assists - Not exactly earth shattering, but nevertheless either target has appeared beyond him so far.

Oh and for the completists

AK has played in 63 games for a total of 4,256 minutes.
In which time he also managed 7 yellow and 2 red cards.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
he doesn't covet the ball enough

5nH1ksQ.gif

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I firmly believe he's going to be remembered as one of our better players - after a dreadful first season. It wouldn't be the first time.

It would be his third time to be precise and you’re right to believe he’ll do it. His first season stats on transfermarkt with his previous two clubs were poor, he then turned into the best player. I’m not worried about his pace, strength, height, aggression etc; he is all about making goals happen, either by scoring or creating. If he can’t do that this season, I’ll make my judgement and I’ll want him out.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Well, we're all entitled to our own view but the pundits at the beeb don't agree with you because they gave him MOM, and I thought he was one of our best players that day so I'm happy to defend my 'blinder' comment. Also, everything I have read about the guy is that he is two-footed. He's definitely not too slow, as a look at his vids from AZ demonstrate. I'll just leave that at 3 areas of disagreement ;-)
The pundits at the BBC...:clap::O:lolol::stupid:

Kman

Mar 30, 2019
He's way more into getting the assists than scoring the goal himself, so I really don't know if he'll score much this season but he will have a good amount of assists.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Well, we're all entitled to our own view but the pundits at the beeb don't agree with you because they gave him MOM, and I thought he was one of our best players that day so I'm happy to defend my 'blinder' comment. Also, everything I have read about the guy is that he is two-footed. He's definitely not too slow, as a look at his vids from AZ demonstrate. I'll just leave that at 3 areas of disagreement ;-)

A look at his ACTUAL GAMES in the EPL suggest he's way off the pace. It's just possible that the defenders here are quicker.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
That's not strictly true, is it? You said he was utter shitehouse, not a prem player, total crap etc. I said he was poor in most games and pretty good in two or three.

I also hope he improves this season but the big difference is that I expect him to do well. Not all players excel in their first season in the prem, foreign or otherwise.

Now we’re getting pedantic. Shit, shite, piss poor, crap are all one in the same. Sorry if it’s messing with your tracking spreadsheet but I think you get the message. I wasn’t impressed. The bit you’re continually failing to is that was then, next season is different. Fresh start. I sincerely hope he does well. Christ, we paid enough for him so let’s hope he comes good. From what I’ve seen I have severe reservations though because he was piss poor last season.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
A long (and slightly in-jokey) way of saying that if I was the boss and my career depended on it I would start Knockaert at wide right in the season opener, not Jahanbakhsh.

If Potter's surveying this thread to find out who to start wide right at Vicarage Road, can I make the case for March?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
If Potter's surveying this thread to find out who to start wide right at Vicarage Road, can I make the case for March?

Yes. Yes you can.

Will be intresting to see if we mainly go "inverted" on the wing or with players set so their natural foot is touchline side. Or if we "float".

My comment wasn't necessarily binary. I couldn't watch the game on the stream live on Saturday but it looked to me from the highlights like Knocky was cutting in from the right but that's also where Ali J popped up from with his assists. so not sure who was "playing" there - but they were the two RWs I could pick out from highlights.

Plus we don't know where Trossard will play. If Trossard is as good as I hope then Trossard, March and "a number 10" as the three behind the striker looks a good option.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes. Yes you can.

Will be intresting to see if we mainly go "inverted" on the wing or with players set so their natural foot is touchline side. Or if we "float".

My comment wasn't necessarily binary. I couldn't watch the game on the stream live on Saturday but it looked to me from the highlights like Knocky was cutting in from the right but that's also where Ali J popped up from with his assists. so not sure who was "playing" there - but they were the two RWs I could pick out from highlights.

Plus we don't know where Trossard will play. If Trossard is as good as I hope then Trossard, March and "a number 10" as the three behind the striker looks a good option.

In the Argus article I quoted Potter said how fluid all the attacking options were (not a dig, but I'll hazard a guess he didn't mean all!)

Saying it was a blessing - Attackers all over the place would be a nightmare to defend.
but also a curse - Everyone running to the same place.

I know I'm asking far too much, but last season I was hoping for And One, Big Jurg and Ali popping up all over the place.
Clearly that was too much to ask for a manager as disciplined as CH, and it's most definitely to much to ask of Potter.

I can still dream.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Wow that's some editing skills. I'm a fan of his potential (in an attacking team) but there's no way I'd compile a video of his last season!

i wasnt sure if video was case for the prosecution or defense.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yes. Yes you can.

I've heard there were a few formations used, but 4-2-3-1 seems to be used for the longest. I saw the highlights from the website, and there was some cutting in from Knockaert, but he started on the right. Jahanbakhsh was in the number 10/ACM role, but drifted out to the right for his two assists, which were both excellent long crosses. Note that when Gross has played that role, he often drifts out to the wings to influence play and create overloads, so it's probably not that surprising to see AJ do that.
March has so much to his game, and he's one of my favourite players, but he really does need to improve his goal and assist (particularly from open play) return.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I've heard there were a few formations used, but 4-2-3-1 seems to be used for the longest. I saw the highlights from the website, and there was some cutting in from Knockaert, but he started on the right. Jahanbakhsh was in the number 10/ACM role, but drifted out to the right for his two assists, which were both excellent long crosses. Note that when Gross has played that role, he often drifts out to the wings to influence play and create overloads, so it's probably not that surprising to see AJ do that.
March has so much to his game, and he's one of my favourite players, but he really does need to improve his goal and assist (particularly from open play) return.

I noticed that when Andone headed his goal, the nearest Albion player to him in the box was.....right-back Max Sanders!

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
Now we’re getting pedantic. Shit, shite, piss poor, crap are all one in the same. Sorry if it’s messing with your tracking spreadsheet but I think you get the message. I wasn’t impressed. The bit you’re continually failing to is that was then, next season is different. Fresh start. I sincerely hope he does well. Christ, we paid enough for him so let’s hope he comes good. From what I’ve seen I have severe reservations though because he was piss poor last season.

There's nothing pedantic about it. You said you thought he was completely shit and I said I thought he had more to him than that. We'll find out soon enough.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
There's nothing pedantic about it. You said you thought he was completely shit and I said I thought he had more to him than that. We'll find out soon enough.

But he WAS. LAST SEASON! (Emphasis on the past tense) Indeed, we shall find out more about him this forthcoming season but it ain’t going to change LAST is it? You know, when our record buy didn’t get an assist, a goal or probably even a staff discount in the shop.

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
But he WAS. LAST SEASON! (Emphasis on the past tense) Indeed, we shall find out more about him this forthcoming season but it ain’t going to change LAST is it? You know, when our record buy didn’t get an assist, a goal or probably even a staff discount in the shop.

But he wasn't shit in every game, was he? Stop shouting and go to bed Malcolm.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
But he wasn't shit in every game, was he? Stop shouting and go to bed Malcolm.

I’m only shouting because I thought you must be deaf. Sorry. You must be dim instead if you can’t differentiate. Will leave it up to you to decide, your prerogative. But he was generally. And who’s Malcolm?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here