Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Used to like the guy and wanted him to play more, thinking he was underused and undervalued by us. However, he's been here ages now and there's an recent emergence of other players I'd much rather have ahead of him (Macallister, Tau, Khadra) so it's really time he moved on. I'm sure he'll also be happier and play well elsewhere (not in the Premier League though). Albion, get a deal done.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I suppose creating more clear-cut opportunities than any player in Premier League per minutes played means he is not up to it. Yeh, lets put him down because of his lovely beard!!! I think you made up your mind and are stuck in his first year here where he was told to practically play wingback and comparing him to Locadia who was our striker.
IMHO, you are the one who is stuck. He ain't going to make it in the PL, that's all there is to it. Might be alright for a luxury player in a winning Championship (like Knocky was for us) but probably better off in Holland, Turkey or somewhere (one of those would probably be '[his best position[/I]' - not the PL!)

FF1

Aug 28, 2019
IMHO, you are the one who is stuck. He ain't going to make it in the PL, that's all there is to it. Might be alright for a luxury player in a winning Championship (like Knocky was for us) but probably better off in Holland, Turkey or somewhere (one of those would probably be '[his best position[/I]' - not the PL!)

Yeah, we are both stock. You want him gone and I think there is a lot of untapped potential there... They only difference is that I am stuck, because he has created the most clear-cut chances per minute played amongst all Premier League Players this season... And your reason is that he ain't going to make it in the PL, that's all there is to it...

Until Percy Tau establishes himself as an undisputed starting winger/attacking half/... at Brighton, I think I want to have the Jahanbakhsh option...

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Sorry, side issue. Knocky was ' a luxury player in a winning championship"? I'd say Knockaert was one of the main reasons we got promoted

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Sorry, side issue. Knocky was ' a luxury player in a winning championship"? I'd say Knockaert was one of the main reasons we got promoted

He was.

AJ must be a world beater then based on those stats who would have thought?

All I’ve seen, is a player struggling at the highest level....

The good news is because of these stats,I’m sure, PL clubs will be clamouring to sign him......... oh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I see this 'no dickheads rule' thing mentioned all over NSC on different threads but nobody can ever tell me where it's come from?

Haven't a clue, just presume it's an 'NSC thing'. You'd think all clubs had the same policy but obviously not!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I see this 'no dickheads rule' thing mentioned all over NSC on different threads but nobody can ever tell me where it's come from?

Someone from the club recruitment setup, maybe Winstanley or Hughton said in an interview several years ago now that when identifying potential signings that beyond raw footballing talent they look at the players personality.

So for example how they apply themselves in training, off the pitch attitude to social media, family and whatever else. There was a quote from some local journo in Italy or somewhere saying he got a call off the club out the blue asking those kind of questions about a potential signing.

It was made a lot of on here at the time, 'ooo what a progressive club we are, surely we'll never make a dud signing ever again...' but then of course we signed Locadia and Andone so I always thought it was just bluster and not worth paying any attention to.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Someone from the club recruitment setup, maybe Winstanley or Hughton said in an interview several years ago now that when identifying potential signings that beyond raw footballing talent they look at the players personality.

So for example how they apply themselves in training, off the pitch attitude to social media, family and whatever else. There was a quote from some local journo in Italy or somewhere saying he got a call off the club out the blue asking those kind of questions about a potential signing.

It was made a lot of on here at the time, 'ooo what a progressive club we are, surely we'll never make a dud signing ever again...' but then of course we signed Locadia and Andone so I always thought it was just bluster and not worth paying any attention to.

The actual “no dickheads policy” phrasing is from a quote made by Maty Ryan to The Argus. I can’t find a link to The Argus article but it’s referenced in this article in the Australian press from September 2018.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/coup...s/news-story/ca665f19b3d28dafb82b4a70fa3e58ff

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
His SA based fans fail the test on all counts if you read their FB contributions.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Tau seems nice and smiley at the moment hopefully that bodes well, we shall no doubt see eventually if he replicates his SA fans, passion?!

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester

Ah right, so basically NSC has turned a comment from a few years ago from people who are no longer involved with the club into an actual made up 'Policy' or rule.

Thanks

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I suppose creating more clear-cut opportunities than any player in Premier League per minutes played means he is not up to it. Yeh, lets put him down because of his lovely beard!!! I think you made up your mind and are stuck in his first year here where he was told to practically play wingback and comparing him to Locadia who was our striker.

I am not stuck at all - I have watched every single minute he has played for us during that season and since and if you look back over this thread you will see I have been willing him to do well then and since. I have seen more than enough to prove he is not right or good enough for this league.

I do like a stat though so if you're going to keep using that stat, lets look at it more. If you're going to use stats, you have to contextualise them, in this case: 1. It is from a small sample, too small to be of any real relevance as a comparison; 2. He's generally coming on at the end of the game when more chances are created than earlier in the game; 3. It is subjective, how you define a clear cut chance is different to how somebody else would; 4. How many goals have those chances left to?

I can assure you that with the owner we have, Brighton's data and analytics department will be on top of all of the stats including this and clearly it is having no impact on team selection as it is irrelevant.

The stats that have more relevance in this case are the ones that show in 1,575 minutes of Premier league football for Brighton, he has just 1 assist and 2 goals. 1 assist every 17.5 games. 1 goal nearly every 9 games. That is pretty damning for a £17 million, club record attacker.

He is too slow to the ball, too weak, his first touch is really poor and positionally he is not good at all. He takes up really poor areas that don't help him or the team at all and quite often crowd space. If you watch closely and compare him to Lallana, Mac Allister and Trossard you will see the difference. Watch the Sheffield United game back, he was a real issue for us and one of the reasons Zeqiri was stuck so wide on the left was because AJ wasn't following instructions and staying wide. Potter was getting really frustrated.

When he has time and space, he has good technique and ability to deliver a ball but he is too week, poor at finding space and his first touch is not up to it to regularly give him this time and space in the Premier League.

Finally, two good managers in Potter and Hughton who have very different ideas but watch him every day have decided he is not good enough for a regular run in the side. In a side that have been crying our for goals during their time in charge, I would say that is a pretty good indication of his ability at this level. As I say, for a player signed for such a large sum of money and a club record, the whole club would have been desperate for him to succeed but it's just never going to happen.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

And if you said that you would be entirely correct

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Alireza Jahanbakhsh signs on a 5-year deal for a club record fee

I disagree mate - he has not had his chances. If you break it down, he has had a good run in cup games which should have earned him more than 2-3 starts in the prem + a few 10-15 min appearances. I’m not sure how you could say he’s gotten a fair shot? What club spends 18-20 mil on a player and calls it giving him a shot by those standards?

Hes not been magnificent or a level above anyone else but he’s definitely not had the chances that pretty much everyone else in the attacking line up has had. Again the statistic above is the evidence of that you’re getting a factual, tangible statistic to show his effectiveness. Where’s the counter to show otherwise?

I used to think this too, but I think AJ has had chances given to him by Potter this season.

But when it counted he went missing. Or largely anonymous. Started up front home to Arsenal, nothing. Home to Sheff Utd (or Saints). Nothing. You’re not going to get 20 games for free at this level.

A good comparison here is MacAllister. Who’s had to be very patient. And in fact a few weeks ago some of us were start to question him, and if he was worth persevering with.
Well he comes in and is given a chance at City, and puts in a man of the match performance. Then given another start at Leeds, a crucial game for us. Lots of pressure, and he delivered. Majestic performance and created the goal.

I want AJ to succeed. Last season he didn’t get enough chances in my opinion. He’s had more than a few this season and aside from Preston in the cup, hasn’t delivered. At elite level you’re not going to get 20 odd games in the side as a favour. You have to step up and take your chance exactly like MacAllister has done.

And unfortunately for AJ there are other players ahead of him now. Tau and Khadra, both looked electric in their cameos and play in his position.

I was AJ in, now... not so sure.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here