Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think Potter already showed his hand at City pushing March forward and I think that will be the plan for Burnley. He's not dropping Maupay, and Gross does knit much of our good play together. He's then got Murray in reserve, Mooy could drop in behind a 2 rather than a 3. Fair few options before he's looking at AJ I feel.

There are quite a few options, as you say:

March if Bernardo is at LWB
Maupay, if Murray in the middle
Groß
Bissouma if fit
Mooy
Connolly, who has looked very effective out wide in these two Ireland U21 games

But he is an option, and if selected, let's hope he's amazing.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The poster you were referring to, used the wrong word in hate. I’m not impressed by Ali’s level of contribution to the team so far, but I’m not that comfortable with the level of ridicule, (comparing him to the state of Saudi Arabia etc)

Fair enough if a player looks like he couldn’t care less. But that isn’t the issue here. It’s either he’s struggled to adapt or he never was the required level . I think the suggestion that none of us really know which, (because he’s been out of position and given more defensive responsibility than suits his game) is a fair one. Though if he can’t get any Premier League game time now we’ve lost Knocky, Locadia and Andone that would suggest to me that Potter doesn’t think he’s the required level.

I'm not overly impressed yet either, but, I say again, he hasn't been given a fair chance compared to those who've already been shipped out . . . . As Stat Brother suggests. a few games in his preferred/strongest position and we'll all be better qualified (as keyboard warriors and no more) to rant on. . . . until then I can't help thinking/hoping there is a player of use there, but we haven't seen it. what little I saw yesterday he didn't look too bad, but its a difficult comparisson to make.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
"
Somebody liked him.. This from a report of Hong Kong v Iran.

"Nine minutes into the second half, Iran wrapped up the win after a brilliant piece of skill by Alireza Jahanbakhsh saw him produce a lovely turn to escape his marker and break free down the right, before he played in a low cross for Ansarifard to finish off."

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I reckon he's going to flourish like a Tulipa Shrenkii in newly irrigated Iranian brushland under the watch of our new maestro.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm not overly impressed yet either, but, I say again, he hasn't been given a fair chance compared to those who've already been shipped out . . . . As Stat Brother suggests. a few games in his preferred/strongest position and we'll all be better qualified (as keyboard warriors and no more) to rant on. . . . until then I can't help thinking/hoping there is a player of use there, but we haven't seen it. what little I saw yesterday he didn't look too bad, but its a difficult comparisson to make.

I'm not really sure on this 'not been given a chance'. He might not be given it to us because we only see the minutes in a match, but I find it hard to believe Potter isn't giving him every opportunity pre-season and in training, plus league cup to prove he's worth a go the PL.

Maybe AJ does have a mystical 'Goldilocks position' where we'll see this top player emerge, but so far Potter hasn't seen it, and I certainly haven't.

It's possible Potter has a longer term plan with AJ. A specific coaching schedule, sorting him out mentally, getting him to a place where he can play him. GP doesn't strike me as the type of man manager that just leaves a player stewing outside a match day squad. There maybe certain goals being set, and when ready, he will emerge into GP's plans. Fantastic if he does and goes onto contribute, would be a brilliant turnaround for player, coach and club.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think Potter already showed his hand at City pushing March forward and I think that will be the plan for Burnley. He's not dropping Maupay, and Gross does knit much of our good play together. He's then got Murray in reserve, Mooy could drop in behind a 2 rather than a 3. Fair few options before he's looking at AJ I feel.

Away at City and home to Burnley are 2 very very different beasts.

I was taking Southampton as my reference point regarding 'run at their defence and turn them around', hence limited options because that doesn't start Groß and Murray.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I was taking Southampton as my reference point regarding 'run at their defence and turn them around', hence limited options because that doesn't start Groß and Murray.

Of course, only my interpretation, but I felt his selection against City was more about our next 2 games than actually the City game itself. It was telling that Connelly was the first sub just after the hour, already 3-0 down. He then took Bernardo off so March could drop back and we went Maupay - Murray - Connelly for 10mins, then bought Gross on. He had AJ on the bench remember. With the game well lost, he didn't even fancy a look at him. I find it really hard to believe he will be anywhere near the starting XI Saturday.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Of course, only my interpretation, but I felt his selection against City was more about our next 2 games than actually the City game itself. It was telling that Connelly was the first sub just after the hour, already 3-0 down. He then took Bernardo off so March could drop back and we went Maupay - Murray - Connelly for 10mins, then bought Gross on. He had AJ on the bench remember. With the game well lost, he didn't even fancy a look at him. I find it really hard to believe he will be anywhere near the starting XI Saturday.

I broadly agree, re Ali, as said at the beginning, he certainly doesn't deserve a start on merit.
But I believe the general consensus on here (and the Cowley's) is that Burnley can be got at down the flanks.

Options there have suddenly become very different, to two weeks ago.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I broadly agree, re Ali, as said at the beginning, he certainly doesn't deserve a start on merit.
But I believe the general consensus on here (and the Cowley's) is that Burnley can be got at down the flanks.

Options there have suddenly become very different, to two weeks ago.

Potter hasn't felt he has merited a spot in a Premier League 18 yet, let alone being a used substitute, let alone starting.

But you're right, options are somewhat different now, particularly with the injury to Trossard.

What may count against your big hope is that he's got a long schlep back from Hong Kong this midweek.

Lush

Mods' Pet
If Burnley play anything like in previous seasons, Ali J will be pushed off the ball and left crying on the touchline in the first 5 mins. I'm not convinced Maupay is rufty-tufty enough either.

I reckon this is a game for Connolly, Glenn and Pascal.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Potter hasn't felt he has merited a spot in a Premier League 18 yet, let alone being a used substitute, let alone starting.

But you're right, options are somewhat different now, particularly with the injury to Trossard.

What may count against your big hope is that he's got a long schlep back from Hong Kong this midweek.

He was on the bench at City.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I feel I should be throwing in caveats a plenty.

Ali certainly is not my big hope, he's in Germany :facepalm:

The only reason I'm putting him in my front 3 is because there's nobody else.
If I've stopped clocked my way onto the same opinion as GP, and it works I will be almost as surprised as everyone else. (except [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION]).

Again if Ali happens to play, all I ask is he's the right side forward, if he does get a look in I hope he gets enough of a go before 01.01.20.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I reckon this is a game for Connolly, Glenn and Pascal.

I'd be happy with that - so long as it is as you've set them out - Connolly (L), Murray (C), Groß (R).

Shoving Glenn out wide left as he's done previously, to accommodate Connolly doesn't seem to make sense. Glenn is ineffective out their, and Connolly looks great there (from the Ireland U21 games)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I feel I should be throwing in caveats a plenty.

Ali certainly is not my big hope, he's in Germany :facepalm:

The only reason I'm putting him in my front 3 is because there's nobody else.
If I've stopped clocked my way onto the same opinion as GP, and it works I will be almost as surprised as everyone else. (except [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION]).

Again if Ali happens to play, all I ask is he's the right side forward, if he does get a look in I hope he gets enough of a go before 01.01.20.

I think we might be almost down to single figures of Albion fans wanting to see AJ get a run in an adventurous Albion side :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here