Page 604 of 617 FirstFirst ... 104504554594601602603604605606607614 ... LastLast
Results 6,031 to 6,040 of 6162

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by thejackal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plenty of encouraging signs in that vid. A few megs, some nice passes and a fair bit of pace. Some folks on here are genuinely clueless when it comes to recognising talent, at least of the footballing kind!
    Many, many games last year he gave the ball away moving forward. Add to that the ease with which he was often dispossessed and that would be a whole new video. Won't go into end product.

Hopefully this term will show a confidence and an improvement.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Wow that's some editing skills. I'm a fan of his potential (in an attacking team) but there's no way I'd compile a video of his last season!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mellotron View Post
      I'm genuinely confused how people whose opinion of players I usually value, have such a blind spot here. You watch him for 1 minute and you can see from his balance, technique, how he holds himself etc, that he's got a lot of class. Was the same with Lingard when he was here - it was just obvious.
      This. The same people who slated Peter Crouch because he looked gangly. A genuinely skillful player.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Is it PotG? View Post
      Many, many games last year he gave the ball away moving forward. Add to that the ease with which he was often dispossessed and that would be a whole new video. Won't go into end product.

Quote Originally Posted by Albumen View Post
      Wow that's some editing skills. I'm a fan of his potential (in an attacking team) but there's no way I'd compile a video of his last season!
      I can't argue with most of that. But you can both see the class and potential. Utter shitehouse he obviously is not!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Albumen View Post
      I watched that instantly thinking of his AZ heatmap.

It has the feel of asking Usain Bolt to run a snickers.

"Ok Ali this is the relatively narrow corridor on which you made this transfer happen.
      From now on you can have the entire pitch...

...except that corridor on the attacking right side".

I've never said he won't be shitehouse next season, I'd just like him to at least be given the opportunity to fail with his boots on, so to speak.
      “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
      Rarely serious, frequently taken seriously.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by thejackal View Post
      This. The same people who slated Peter Crouch because he looked gangly. A genuinely skillful player.
      Who created and scored goals.
      Rather than jogged around looking lost.
      The voice of hindsight.
      Bring back Chris Hughton.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by TSB View Post
      Who created and scored goals.
      Rather than jogged around looking lost.
      Yeah, true, but maybe he wouldn't have created and scored goals in his first season in new country, playing for a bottom-six team (if such a thing exists), coming off the back of an injury with no pre-season.

In fact, a quick search shows that his stats for his first two Prem seasons (with Villa) weren't particularly inspiring. After a decent return of 2 goals from 7 in 2001-02, he scored nowt in 14 games in 2002-03.

No idea what his assist rate was, to be fair.
      Broad Blue & White stripe perseus's Avatar

Alireza Jahanbakhsh

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Is it PotG? View Post

I think there is a deficiency in dribbling style and technique, he doesn't covet the ball enough (doesn't use his body well to shield the ball), relying on pace rather than slower players like Knockaert. Trouble is , he isn't quick enough to get away with it in the PL. Certain players in the past got away with it like Kuyt. And do not get away with it like Henrikh Mkhitaryan.

Difficult how to fit such players in anything other than a counter-attacking side. Really got to play the Hazard role as second striker as he is too far from goal as a winger. I'd sooner we sold Alireza Jahanbakhsh to Fulham for £15 million (crucial decision), unless he improves. And he might do quite well in the Championship.

When we signed him, I thought he would be much quicker and it was a good idea. Disappointed.
      Last edited by perseus; 15-07-2019 at 17:06.

Brighton = blue
      Albion = white
      Hove = just a little gold necklace stripe
      Technocrat

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Elephant View Post
      It's ok, this thread will be this season's, "Charlton's going to be terrible".

All these definitive opinions flying around about how terrible Jahanbakhsh is, there's going to be so much humble pie to be eaten but I don't think the majority of the knockers will even re-appear in this thread. They'll just sit down and shut up, knowing how wrong they were but totally without the humility to admit it.
      Will you be eating humble pie on the Knockhaert thread if he stays and has a good season?

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Fish View Post
      Will you be eating humble pie on the Knockhaert thread if he stays and has a good season?
      I haven't been anything like as critical of Knockaert (note the spelling, how long has he been here for?) as people have been of Jahanbakhsh. And there's a big difference between the two in terms of the team being set up to benefit one at the expense of the other, and fans choosing to overlook the reality because of past glories. If Knockaert was a new signing last summer and performed as he did, he'd be getting slated. But we all like the guy because of his performances in the Championship - he was THE reason (along with Murray) that we got promoted that season. That will ALWAYS be his legacy, much like Hughton. When the dust settles in 10 years and we're reminiscing about this team, there will only be positives about Knockaert, Hughton, et al. But even so, it doesn't mean we have to blind to the limitations of these guys.

If you're asking, I think Jahanbakhsh is far superior to Knockaert. I'm confident that will be justified before the end of the season and I believe Jahanbakhsh will match Knockaert's goals and assists contribution from the last 2 seasons in this season alone. We all know this thread will get bounced all over the place this season - we'll soon know whether this is insightful, or nonsense.