Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's funny how we've already seen at least 7 players flourish, this season, playing Potterball.
Yet Ali still isn't afforded the right or ability to make that 8.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
It's funny how we've already seen at least 7 players flourish, this season, playing Potterball.
Yet Ali still isn't afforded the right or ability to make that 8.

We all want him to succeed. I trust Potter implicitly, but if there’s any truth in Ali J being seen as a wing back this would surely be his biggest miracle to date- he looks lightweight and too slow to play there, and all we have been told by Iranians and the Dutch is he’ll come good if he plays high up the pitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We all want him to succeed. I trust Potter implicitly, but if there’s any truth in Ali J being seen as a wing back this would surely be his biggest miracle to date- he looks lightweight and too slow to play there, and all we have been told by Iranians and the Dutch is he’ll come good if he plays high up the pitch.

Who outside of NSC has Ali as a wing-back?

As for the "We all want him to succeed" line that always sounds so hollow.

'I'm going to slag off one specific player at every conceivable opportunity or just shoe horn in abuse despite said player not even being discussed'

But

'I hope he comes good, after all I am a 'supporter' of the Albion'.

All a load of bollox.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol

'I'm going to slag off one specific player at every conceivable opportunity or just shoe horn in abuse despite said player not even being discussed'

But

All a load of bollox.

People use this place to vent. Most supporters want our players to succeed or at least start paying back the millions we paid for them even if they hurl dogshite abuse at them on NSC.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields

But

All a load of bollox.

This,Unfortunately.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
People use this place to vent. Most supporters want our players to succeed or at least start paying back the millions we paid for them even if they hurl dogshite abuse at them on NSC.

Happy for that narrative to transfer around the ground as with a Stephens or Bong misplaced pass.
'It's ok I can moan, groan, shout abuse at them because I know everyone (in my bubble) agrees with me'.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Under estimating Potter’s powers of regenerating players at this stage of the season along with trying to second guess him seems foolhardy at best.

Second choice right wing back - who’d have thought that!![emoji23]

Get ready for the anti-Ali League (who all think the ultra slow Bruno would have been ideal as a right wing back) castigating our Ali for not having enough pace to play this role or the role that Groß currently holds.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

But

All a load of bollox.

I would expect Ali to be one of the front 3 replacing Trossard or Gross, but as he isn't even making the bench he isn't getting a chance. Maybe once we see the famous flexibility of GP formations, or after an outstanding game against Bristol Rovers in the Carabao, then he'll get his chance.

Personally speaking I want every single Brighton player to be the greatest player in the history of football, Ali included, and I hope with a new manager and a new approach he shows us the player we saw in the Eredivisie, the countless highlight videos and the player the Iranian supporters expecting him to be (Ronaldo/Messi and Beckham rolled into one). However.....there is a point where you have to stop wishing and realise it just isn't going to happen. Lets hope Ali isn't at that point just yet.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Alireza Jahanbakhsh signs on a 5-year deal for a club record fee

But

All a load of bollox.

Great post.

Potter was tactically superior to Gracia & Pellegrini. At that level, he needs to be light years ahead of the folk on NSC and he’s proved it again. Even the Potter experts are struggling to work out what he’s doing.

I’m very much looking forward to what tactical gems he’s got up his wizard’s sleeve for Stains.

What a wonderful start to the season we are having.

“Has he gone on loan yet?” Ha ha ha ha ha. [emoji51]

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
PSV still appears to be interested in Alireza Jahanbakhsh. Together with Feyenoord, the club from Eindhoven showed interest in the superfluous attacker of Brighton & Hove Albion in early August, but PSV is said to be hoping for a deal.

PSV clubwatcher Rik Elfrink from the Eindhovens Dagblad reports this after rumors from England about PSV and Jahanbakhsh. Both parties are said to be committed to each other. "This line is out and I cannot rule out the possibility that something will still be possible in the coming day, if other things may not make ends meet," Elfrink writes on Twitter.

Elfrink also writes that PSV finds Jahanbakhsh 'interesting' and that the 25-million-euro-old man did not want to leave Brighton earlier. Jahanbakhsh made the switch from AZ to Brighton last summer for a record amount, but did not get much play in England. He played nineteen times in the Premier League, of which twelve times as a substitute. The new manager Graham Potter does not seem to see it in him.

Jahanbakhsh (26) scored no less than 21 times in his last season for AZ. The club bought the Iranian from NEC in 2015, where he managed to impress the Jupiler League with twelve goals in 28 duels. Jahanbakhsh comes from the Iranian Shahre Baran.

https://www.voetbalprimeur.nl/nieuw...ar-jahanbakhsh-transfer-niet-uitgesloten.html
Owen Says No.

https://twitter.com/Brian__Owen/status/1164440923029291008?s=19

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
In terms of value for money, quite possibly BHAFC's worst ever signing

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I would expect Ali to be one of the front 3 replacing Trossard or Gross, but as he isn't even making the bench he isn't getting a chance. Maybe once we see the famous flexibility of GP formations, or after an outstanding game against Bristol Rovers in the Carabao, then he'll get his chance.

Personally speaking I want every single Brighton player to be the greatest player in the history of football, Ali included, and I hope with a new manager and a new approach he shows us the player we saw in the Eredivisie, the countless highlight videos and the player the Iranian supporters expecting him to be (Ronaldo/Messi and Beckham rolled into one). However.....there is a point where you have to stop wishing and realise it just isn't going to happen. Lets hope Ali isn't at that point just yet.

I agree, despite that being heavily laced with subtext!

There most definitely is a point where losses have to be cut, and chances are that conversation is soon rather than later.
But it most certainly isn't on the back of the last dour season.

Failing to make the grade under Potter, when so many other have almost instantly kicked on, doesn't give Ali much time to impress.

I guess many of us had GP appointment as turning an oil tanker around.
Plenty of time.
Ship out the deadwood.
Promote yoof.

Instead we might just be sat at on a speedboat.
Instant change.
Not an inch of fat in the squad.
Promote yoof.

Ali's gonna have to hit the ground running when he does get an opportunity, because that chance isn't going to be open ended.
As I've frequently said:-

Let's give him the chance to fail with his boots on.

Better that than assuming he's going to fail whist simultaneously lavish praise on all the other previous 'failures'.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If Potter didn't see potential in AJ surely he'd have pushed to get him loaned out? The potential for an Ashley Barnes level bounce of this thread is exciting for me :smile:

Normally players improve dramatically according to NSC if they aren't playing, AJ is the exception to this rule clearly!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Graham Potter, apparently

But

All a load of bollox.

It isn't 'bollox' at all. We all want ALL of our players to be good. But to suggest that we all must pretend that they ARE good / HAVE BEEN good, despite all the evidence of our eyes, is just nonsense.

I've never seen one poster, ever, type anything that suggests they WANT Jahanbaksh to fail. If people watch him over the course of 20 appearances, and opine that they think he is slow or lightweight, and they don't think he'll succeed at this level, doesn't mean they don't want him to. If 10 players in the Albion squad are playing at their best, we'll do okay. If 25 are playing at their best we'll fly. Who doesn't want that? :shrug:

The only time I've seen mention of him in threads not dedicated to his stuttering Albion career, are the 'Team for xxxx' threads, when a couple of blind-faith AJ fanbois like to try to inexplicably shoe-horn him in, and inevitably people respond, appropriately.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
A wing back? Me no thinky so, from the less than fully alert mannerisms he's shown us thus far.
I thought him an ace signing, obviously with a whizzbangeroo in his boot, and i don't think it impossible to find his feet, but it seems to be about tempo and slow reading of situations. Maybe Potty thinks that the wing-back role will awaken his urgency and reaction time. If so i would think the result of that would be in being the attacking player he was rather than a sometime defender.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here