Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You're not going to get them all right though are you. Some work out and some don't

The fact that we are actually quite good, (this is the best Brighton team i've ever seen) says to me that we're doing ok recruitment-wise

We are very much heading in the right direction but only because our recent recruitment has binned off some of the flops. Andone is easily good enough for the EPL and other circumstances probably dictated his loan. However, Locadia and Ali J were two huge, expensive, mistakes. If you want a counter point to those, Gross is probably the bargain of the last three years for almost any PL team and Ryan must be in the top five keepers in the league.

Since then we've recuited Mooy and Maupay who were the two best players we had today. Both are really starting to come in to their own in this league. Trossard looks the real deal, but needs to get fit. Webster? Suits our style of football, whatever you think of him.

Time will tell whether Winstanley and Macauley can work together. I hope they can as having two top recruiters clearly has advantages. But I do suspect Potter may be a little stronger in saying "no" to 50-50 shouts as well as pushing some of his own than Hughton was.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It feels tough to critique such a small sample size, but as it's going to be the only sample we get, so be it.

Looked like the very epitome of a current Albion player.

Capable of doing 'something' but also careless.
Obviously isn't going to change any opinions, but I didn't think he looked like a player who is clearly just not good enough.

Is that a double or triple negative at the end there ???

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We are very much heading in the right direction but only because our recent recruitment has binned off some of the flops. Andone is easily good enough for the EPL and other circumstances probably dictated his loan. However, Locadia and Ali J were two huge, expensive, mistakes. If you want a counter point to those, Gross is probably the bargain of the last three years for almost any PL team and Ryan must be in the top five keepers in the league.

Since then we've recuited Mooy and Maupay who were the two best players we had today. Both are really starting to come in to their own in this league. Trossard looks the real deal, but needs to get fit. Webster? Suits our style of football, whatever you think of him.

Time will tell whether Winstanley and Macauley can work together. I hope they can as having two top recruiters clearly has advantages. But I do suspect Potter may be a little stronger in saying "no" to 50-50 shouts as well as pushing some of his own than Hughton was.

Burn gets over-looked in these conversations as well. What a signing.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I have been one of his biggest critics but felt he didnt do so bad today in a difficult match. He chased back and tackled and put one decent cross in. That said he clearly isnt ready for this level. My guess is that Potter is going to do some business in January.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It would be unfair to judge him on todays little cameo in a Potter team....but yet to see if he can beat a man on the outside

Or do a bit of that then cut inside an curl one into the far/near top corner.

One a season would give him legendary status, especially if it's on 16th

In other news, I wish I could edit my last posts auto correct spelling!!,

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Burn gets over-looked in these conversations as well. What a signing.

Not a bad shout. But ignored by Hughton almost completely.

I understand why BTW. A constant flat back 4 with a the empahsis on not conceding needs a Duffy. A fluid 4/5/3 at the back with a need to overlap, cross and suddenly appear in support of your midfield needs a Burn. So, in this case, we bought the right player for the wrong manager.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I have been one of his biggest critics but felt he didnt do so bad today in a difficult match. He chased back and tackled and put one decent cross in. That said he clearly isnt ready for this level. My guess is that Potter is going to do some business in January.

He didn't do so bad... But he certainly didn't do well either.

He has repeatedly had chances to show he deserves a regular spot in the team and every time he just looks average at best.

Maybe, just maybe, he needs more regular games to get into a stride, so let's send him out on loan, but IMO he just isn't good enough to actually get into what is a mid-table PL squad and time to accept that and move him on.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
It's a gamble, how much do you play him to get upto match fitness vs how much of a liability will he be.

As seen in the Wolves game yesterday, the games coming thick and fast over Xmas will affect our players and so this will be a 'do it or get off the potty' period for him imo.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
He has zero confidence at the moment....you could see that. Normally you would expect an impact and to be fair he did have a couple of good touches that led to decent crosses...but having said all that, if Izzy ever gets fit, and back to how he was he wouldn’t get near the first team again.

Personally I would ship him out on loan in January with the view to sell him on in June.

Real shame as he obviously did very well in Holland. Looks like Dutch based players are very much hit and miss for us.

I am still not convinced about propper, but I appear to be in the minority

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I think that there is a half decent player in there struggling to get out but I'm quite mystified why he hasn't had more than one u23 outing (a few weeks ago now)just to get him up to speed.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
e​
His touch let him down a few times, but he did fight back and won the ball back, his link up with a
Safe wasn't bad at all. He's,clearly very low on big match confidence.

He was average along with the general the team performance.

No one seems to have a bard word to say about Murray, he's on a different planet pace wise now. Bizarre and negative substitution.

Thought the game was crying out for Murray to be honest, Maupay was increasingly coming deep or wide to get the ball and we needed a focal point for our attack. Bringing Murray on to me seemed more sensible than Jahanbakhsh. I would have then bought Montoya on and pushed Alzate forward as the other change.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
He has zero confidence at the moment....you could see that. Normally you would expect an impact and to be fair he did have a couple of good touches that led to decent crosses...but having said all that, if Izzy ever gets fit, and back to how he was he wouldn’t get near the first team again.

Personally I would ship him out on loan in January with the view to sell him on in June.

Real shame as he obviously did very well in Holland. Looks like Dutch based players are very much hit and miss for us.

I am still not convinced about propper, but I appear to be in the minority

I've seen him play with full confidence when he joined and was worse.

Think the issue is more he isn't good enough

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I'd like to see more of him playing in his preferred position. He was okay yesterday, couple sloppy touches but had the desire to fight back. Some good link up with Alzate. More minutes needed. If still s**t give him to USG

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He simply has to go out on loan, to rebuild confidence and £ value, by actually playing football.

He simply isn't good enough to get regular enough playing time here, to do that. If he tears it up on loan, we can have another go at trying him next season.

Good luck to the chap if he does.

As for his current Albion spell - I expect that the Sheffield Wednesday cup game will be his farewell performance, assuming March's recover stays on track.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This is your moment lad! I full of mince pies and Xmas goodness, but I’ve got plenty of room left for my own words!! Do it AJ, come on!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here