Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Like Locadia, I'm really struggling to see it.

The 'out of position', 'wrong side' and 'only shines with an offensive game' excuses are getting seriously tedious.

Solly March seems to do ok under the same conditions.

It's going to be a big pre-season for him (somewhere).

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
To be fair to him we were chasing his signature for several years so hopefully next season he will be more ready for the Prem after this massive learning curve.

Best not to stick the price tag on him either and just see him as a squad member who has to win his place.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He looked like he didn't know what he was meant to be doing. I've seen nothing about him this season to indicate he'll make a contribution next season. A massive disappointment, get rid.

teammelli

Jul 25, 2018
Whelp, this has been a disappointing season no matter how you cut it, and by the way he’s playing looks like he’s extremely low on confidence. Ball bounces a meter off his feet when receiving, he’s never been like this. Does not seem his teammates give him much support, and really haven’t since the beginning. I guess that is part of the “tough” nature of the EPL, especially for players who thrive in a constructive and supportive environment. I think everyone’s disappointed, most of all him.

All that being said, I’m surprised at the comments about his national origin, “driving him back”, behavior of his “fan base”, etc. Makes me wonder if there is more than meets the eye behind the hyperbole, and whether if he was a good white lad from the English countryside if people would be disappointed but not rude or condescending as they are now.

Here’s hoping he gets loaned out of the UK, maybe to Bundesliga or La Liga, think he’d do better in a league style with more skill and less brute force.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Except for the trip from behind?

minimal contact ...AJ trodd down on the ball which bounced up and hit moaning Monreal in the snout .......nearly all pundits recommend not a pen......regardless of that i can't see him improving enough to be a hit next year....i am eager to be proved wrong though.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Whelp, this has been a disappointing season no matter how you cut it, and by the way he’s playing looks like he’s extremely low on confidence. Ball bounces a meter off his feet when receiving, he’s never been like this. Does not seem his teammates give him much support, and really haven’t since the beginning. I guess that is part of the “tough” nature of the EPL, especially for players who thrive in a constructive and supportive environment. I think everyone’s disappointed, most of all him.

All that being said, I’m surprised at the comments about his national origin, “driving him back”, behavior of his “fan base”, etc. Makes me wonder if there is more than meets the eye behind the hyperbole, and whether if he was a good white lad from the English countryside if people would be disappointed but not rude or condescending as they are now.

Here’s hoping he gets loaned out of the UK, maybe to Bundesliga or La Liga, think he’d do better in a league style with more skill and less brute force.

It's really got nothing to do with his nationality mate, Brighton is one of the most liberal fan bases anywhere, he could be homosexual AND Iranian and we'd all love him if he was living up to the hype, not sure the same could be said in many places in the U.K. Or Iran for that matter.

If you think he will fair better in Spain or Germany then lets hope he gets the chance to find out, personally i think Holland or Scotland would be better suited for him, maybe a season with USG in Belgium could be arranged, certainly wouldn't do him any harm to build his confidence back up.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Personally I don't care about his nationality, I haven't heard anyone mention it as a factor. He has just been extremely disappointing. When a player comes in for that kind of money one expects the finished article but he has only shown glimpses of his quality. I would like him to stick around another season as I have belief that he is a very good player. But at the moment, whether it's simply that he can't hack the PL or he is so low on confidence, he is not doing himself justice.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I refuse to believe that we chased a guy over a three year period and paid big bucks for him without being pretty sure that he can play. He hasn’t had a good season and has regressed since his first few games, much like the team.

I remember when March was infuriating me and looked out of his depth at this level. With a 17 million price tag he would also have been crucified, but as a local lad he was given quite a bit of leeway by fans.

I think AJ will come good and I doubt he’ll be shipped out, no matter how big the queue of cars with a full tank of petrol are outside the Amex, offering to drive him back to Holland :wink:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Considering we start the season without Izquierdo, we will need to see something from Jahanbakhsh, March and Knockaert until
January as I'm not sure we can afford to sign a replacement for half a season

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I refuse to believe that we chased a guy over a three year period and paid big bucks for him without being pretty sure that he can play. He hasn’t had a good season and has regressed since his first few games, much like the team.
You have to question our recruitment teams judgement on many of our signings. The club spent over £60 million on strengthening last seasons squad and in my opinion only a third of that sum was well spent on Bernado and Biss. I understand Ashworth is to now head up recruitment so a question mark against the recruitment team by the board must have sparked this move. It is not the players fault the amount of money spent on them but they do have to live up to those fees, whereas the guys responsible for agreeing the fees just sit back and hide

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You have to question our recruitment teams judgement on many of our signings. The club spent over £60 million on strengthening last seasons squad and in my opinion only a third of that sum was well spent on Bernado and Biss. I understand Ashworth is to now head up recruitment so a question mark against the recruitment team by the board must have sparked this move. It is not the players fault the amount of money spent on them but they do have to live up to those fees, whereas the guys responsible for agreeing the fees just sit back and hide

Question marks about the way we set up being in anyway conducive to attacking players shining, not worth a mention?

Yesterday was one of the very few games in the last few months that we have shown any intent to actually try and score a goal over not conceding one.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Question marks about the way we set up being in anyway conducive to attacking players shining, not worth a mention?

Yesterday was one of the very few games in the last few months that we have shown any intent to actually try and score a goal over not conceding one.
You do have a good point there but that raises another question mark against the recruitment judgement, surely they buy players that fit the managements style of play and team set up?

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea

THIS

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

yeah.....and he was still pony.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

These fanboy posts have me in stitches lots of excuses and then blaming it on the fans and team. I am sure his teammates are giving him plenty of support many players have commented on how welcoming the team are and the good togetherness in the squad so you can drop that nonsense.

Fact is good players shine through no matter what the circumstances he is just not good enough. Looked good in the noddy Dutch league but not good enough to make the huge step up to the levels required in the premier league.

From what I have seen he would not be good enough for Spain or Germany either and after such a dismal season I can’t see any agents from those divisions knocking at his door.

I get it you are a big fan of the player but stop the delusion and excuses and just realise he is simply not good enough for this level

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You do have a good point there but that raises another question mark against the recruitment judgement, surely they buy players that fit the managements style of play and team set up?

Let’s just say it’s going to be a stress free interesting summer after a torrid few months of football :smile:

I hope we go for Worthing in the pre season friendly, otherwise it’s going to be a toxic start to the season :lolol:

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

Wow.

So, the PL has just been too tough on poor Alireza and his teammates have all been mean to him. THAT'S what it is... silly us.

The desperation you're showing trying to squeeze some sort of race row into this is hilarious. He cost us EIGHTEEN MILLION POUNDS and hasn't been fit to clean Solly March's boots. He could be born on the Palace Pier and we'd say the same.... "more than meets the eye".... give me a break.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here