Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Alireza Jahanbakhsh signs on a 5-year deal for a club record fee

Potter early selections say a lot to me...

Me too.

Ali J seemed to get the bullet around the same time that the 4-2-3-1 was dropped.

I think he’ll return when that system does if it’s not sooner due to injuries.

Potter has already turned March into an effective wing back, he has convinced Stephens and Pröpper to cross the half way line and with it, form a midfield partnership that outplayed anything that Watford or West Ham had to offer, he has also propelled Burn into an early runner for player of the season whilst completely reworking the club’s style and tactics, all in the space of a couple of months.

Anyone who thinks that he can’t then sorcer the Eredivisie’s 17/18 top scorer into a success needs to think again. Under estimating Potter’s powers of regenerating players at this stage of the season along with trying to second guess him seems foolhardy at best.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think he’s not involved because he’ll be going back to Holland, which will disappoint me as I think he has a lot to offer.

Or

He's not involved because when all fit we have a half decent squad and currently 2 first team forward players will always have to miss out.

Currently all but one forward in the squad are fit.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Don't see AJ working as a wing back. Could see him groomed into being a back up for Gross, however. All his best work in Holland seemed to be in the number 10 position.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't see AJ working as a wing back. Could see him groomed into being a back up for Gross, however. All his best work in Holland seemed to be in the number 10 position.

His heat map from 17/18 all but guarantees him as the right sided forward in a front 3.
Starting on the wing at halfway heading towards the penalty spot, never encroaching on the overlapping wing-backs territory down by the opposition by-line, or defending in his own half.

As an aside I got pulled up for being surprised by Gross' heat map v Watford, which even more so had him on the right wing.

"Pah don't you know Gross always plays on the right"

Seemingly he does, as proven last Saturday, yet everyone still has him as their #10.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Seemingly he does, as proven last Saturday, yet everyone still has him as their #10.

Even if the starting position is right wing, arguably the important work is then done after cutting in, arriving in the number 10 position.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
His heat map from 17/18 all but guarantees him as the right sided forward in a front 3.
Starting on the wing at halfway heading towards the penalty spot, never encroaching on the overlapping wing-backs territory down by the opposition by-line, or defending in his own half.

As an aside I got pulled up for being surprised by Gross' heat map v Watford, which even more so had him on the right wing.

"Pah don't you know Gross always plays on the right"

Erm he was actually put on the right side on Saturday not as 10.

He plays where he is told to play.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I saw Gross play a bit after we signed him but whilst he was still in Germany and he definitely played more on the right. Ali J has a number of hurdles but having a rejuvenated Gross ahead of him is the biggest. An in form Gross in undoubtedly one of the first names on the team sheet and until Ali J can influence games in a similar way, work as hard and execute the managers orders as efficiently then he is a long way off featuring. Loving the earlier optimistic post about Potter though- if Potter can’t get anything out of him by January I’d say get rid. As an aside, BBC gossip mentions Wanyama going to Bruges- he’d be a fantastic replacement in the squad if that did happen- a wonderful destroyer on his day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Even if the starting position is right wing, arguably the important work is then done after cutting in, arriving in the number 10 position.

I shall be watching him closely, on Saturday.
I have the sneaky suspicious that doesn't happen and we're all wrong.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I shall be watching him closely, on Saturday.
I have the sneaky suspicious that doesn't happen and we're all wrong.

Apologies, I was referring to AJ’s time in Holland with that post, based on those reliable YouTube compilations.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Training as a wing back and his main competition according to Montoya in the Argus. Interestingly Montoya also says that he feels as a group the players are much better and more united this season.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
PSV still appears to be interested in Alireza Jahanbakhsh. Together with Feyenoord, the club from Eindhoven showed interest in the superfluous attacker of Brighton & Hove Albion in early August, but PSV is said to be hoping for a deal.

PSV clubwatcher Rik Elfrink from the Eindhovens Dagblad reports this after rumors from England about PSV and Jahanbakhsh. Both parties are said to be committed to each other. "This line is out and I cannot rule out the possibility that something will still be possible in the coming day, if other things may not make ends meet," Elfrink writes on Twitter.

Elfrink also writes that PSV finds Jahanbakhsh 'interesting' and that the 25-million-euro-old man did not want to leave Brighton earlier. Jahanbakhsh made the switch from AZ to Brighton last summer for a record amount, but did not get much play in England. He played nineteen times in the Premier League, of which twelve times as a substitute. The new manager Graham Potter does not seem to see it in him.

Jahanbakhsh (26) scored no less than 21 times in his last season for AZ. The club bought the Iranian from NEC in 2015, where he managed to impress the Jupiler League with twelve goals in 28 duels. Jahanbakhsh comes from the Iranian Shahre Baran.

https://www.voetbalprimeur.nl/nieuw...ar-jahanbakhsh-transfer-niet-uitgesloten.html

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Training as a wing back and his main competition according to Montoya in the Argus. Interestingly Montoya also says that he feels as a group the players are much better and more united this season.
I think that probably ends any speculation that he is going out on loan before the January window.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Yes, this, no pace for starters would rule him out as a wingback.

He’s shown he struggles at this level out wide, so a more central role would seem sensible.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
25-million-euro-old man

I’ve read some harsh comments about AJ but none can top that :wink:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I saw Gross play a bit after we signed him but whilst he was still in Germany and he definitely played more on the right. Ali J has a number of hurdles but having a rejuvenated Gross ahead of him is the biggest. An in form Gross in undoubtedly one of the first names on the team sheet and until Ali J can influence games in a similar way, work as hard and execute the managers orders as efficiently then he is a long way off featuring. Loving the earlier optimistic post about Potter though- if Potter can’t get anything out of him by January I’d say get rid. As an aside, BBC gossip mentions Wanyama going to Bruges- he’d be a fantastic replacement in the squad if that did happen- a wonderful destroyer on his day.

Gross is excellent, and was at Watford, but thought he was ordinary Saturday. He did play more on the right in Germany, but generally still looked for an early delivery, rather than classic wing play.

AJ as cover is a good call.

WanYama was thinking this myself - great call.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here