Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What's the squad rule on U23s, I didn't think they needed to be named in your full squad, or at least you can feature a number of U23s without being named in the full squad. (can't remember the exact details...) but AJ isn't really taking the place of an U23 I don't think if that's the case...

As far as I know we can play as many youngsters as we like (someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong). The point is, that if we do play the youth ahead of Jahanbakhsh we'll be paying someone top dollar just to fill up a space in the 25 man squad - and we don't have to have all 25 places filled.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
What's the squad rule on U23s, I didn't think they needed to be named in your full squad, or at least you can feature a number of U23s without being named in the full squad. (can't remember the exact details...) but AJ isn't really taking the place of an U23 I don't think if that's the case...

The squad rules confusingly relate to U21s, not U23s. For the current season exempt Under-21 players were born on or after 1 January 1999.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

I’m more thinking ahead to next season. Presumably we’ll be looking at promoting an u23 or two to the senior squad.

Either way there’ll be churn. Players going out, players going in.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
As far as I know we can play as many youngsters as we like (someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong). The point is, that if we do play the youth ahead of Jahanbakhsh we'll be paying someone top dollar just to fill up a space in the 25 man squad - and we don't have to have all 25 places filled.

Yeah, I get that, I was more looking at the posts saying he was taking the place of an U23, which I think me and you agree he isn't. Completely agree he's a big number of the wage bill and taking up a squad place, but GP does seem to have fancied him making an impact in recent months. Either that or GP's been told if you want new players in, you need to put to some you want out in the shop window...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Me thinks you are a fan of young Ryan Longman, you have mentioned him a few times before!
I've been following all the loanees, mainly on the loanee tracker thread, and on match days I use the BBC to see if they're playing, and if they score - I don't think I've commented on him any more than the others - except maybe Clarke at Derby, who's been there so long we've almost forgotten him! And Roberts and O'Hora have been out with injuries for quite a while, so have also been out of sight, out of mind.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
The squad rules confusingly relate to U21s, not U23s. For the current season exempt Under-21 players were born on or after 1 January 1999.

If you were born on or after 01.01.99, couldn't you be 22 years 5 months old now? Take your point though.
[MENTION=38362]vagabond[/MENTION], assume if a player qualifies for the team through U21 rule or whatever it is, you don't put them in the full squad unless you have to, as it gives you an extra spot in the squad effectively.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Colonel Kurtz in Apocalypse Now:

“I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight Alireza Jahanbakhsh. This is my dream; this is my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight Alireza, and surviving.”

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
If you were born on or after 01.01.99, couldn't you be 22 years 5 months old now? Take your point though.
[MENTION=38362]vagabond[/MENTION], assume if a player qualifies for the team through U21 rule or whatever it is, you don't put them in the full squad unless you have to, as it gives you an extra spot in the squad effectively.

I think you misunderstand me. I’m suggesting that we have talent coming through that deserves to be involved in the match day squad and make the bench if not the team. AJ is taking one of those spots.

Next season I’d like to see the likes of Khadra get a chance on the bench. Some players need to be culled, and I suspect Proper and AJ may be examples.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
I think you misunderstand me. I’m suggesting that we have talent coming through that deserves to be involved in the match day squad and make the bench if not the team. AJ is taking one of those spots.

Next season I’d like to see the likes of Khadra get a chance on the bench. Some players need to be culled, and I suspect Proper and AJ may be examples.

I'm not sure I'd use the phrase 'taking a spot' - he's being selected by the manager. No reason Khadra couldn't be selected in that regard. No misunderstanding there. Manager seems to be more than willing to give youth a chance, so if they deserve a spot I'm sure they'll get one.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
I have always liked AJ but I do understand others have different views which are also reasonable. I am happy to leave the decision with GP (assuming it's his to make.) But please don't talk about "culling" players; they are human beings not sheep.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Think Khadra might be best going out on loan for a season now. There's also Longman though (who everybody seems to forget) - he too has had a very good season in League 1, and might even be a tad ahead of Richards - although a Championship season might still be the development path for both of them.

I think we'll see Khadra, Longman and Richards in the Championship next season.

Possibly the one who does the best will get a squad number with us the following season

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I have always liked AJ but I do understand others have different views which are also reasonable. I am happy to leave the decision with GP (assuming it's his to make.) But please don't talk about "culling" players; they are human beings not sheep.

Agree mate. Always lots of casual disrespect on these sort of threads

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I've been following all the loanees, mainly on the loanee tracker thread, and on match days I use the BBC to see if they're playing, and if they score - I don't think I've commented on him any more than the others - except maybe Clarke at Derby, who's been there so long we've almost forgotten him! And Roberts and O'Hora have been out with injuries for quite a while, so have also been out of sight, out of mind.

O'Hora was sold wasn't he ?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

This is a forum. People will discuss which players they think aren’t good enough and as long as it’s professional and about their ability there’s nothing wrong with that. Do you have a problem with the Locadia, Maupay or Connolly threads for example?

In elite football there is little room for sentiment. Players will come and go, managers will come and go. How it will always be.

But I do agree with you to trust GP, with Ashworth, Tony and Paul to make the best decisions for the club.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Time to accept that Ali J isn’t up to the standard required. Great opportunity again today in the first half wasted. I’m sure he’s great to have around the squad but sadly lacking that bit of quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
You know how players often issue a "come and get me" plea? Is there any chance I can issue a "come and get him" plea to literally anyone?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here