Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Seems like a real Moneyball signing if ever there was one. His stats were really impressive but also shows the limitations of the model. I'm still no clearer now what sort of a player is he. Attacker, wide midfielder, winger? Number 10? Perhaps a bit of everything but not enough of one. Unlucky with the injury when he first arrived, he never really got over that and then couldn't establish a position his own. But that's the way it goes in football. That's life. Sometimes things just don't work out. But at least he'll always have THAT goal.
Good luck to him when he moves on.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I'm not sure its such a mystery .

He's shown very little in most of his performances with a large number of them being especially poor. I can only assume he doesn't show the quality needed in training either .

Bottom line is , I don't think its a mystery. He just isnt good enough for the prem.

Wish him well if he goes , probably best outcome for all parties.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It can’t be pace, surely? We have the most pedestrian squad imaginable. I think Jahanbakhsh’s time here will be forever considered a bit of a mystery.

What’s the mystery? He’s just not quite got the added physicality, speed of thought, speed of movement etc. I can see why he would shine in the Dutch league; in itself it is a bit less physical, just that bit more time on the ball, allowing technical skills to shine but not under the intensity of the PL. He’s a decent lad and a very good player, just not quite making it as many before him and many after at the top table.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What’s the mystery? He’s just not quite got the added physicality, speed of thought, speed of movement etc. I can see why he would shine in the Dutch league; in itself it is a bit less physical, just that bit more time on the ball, allowing technical skills to shine but not under the intensity of the PL. He’s a decent lad and a very good player, just not quite making it as many before him and many after at the top table.

I’ll pull you up on the “speed of thought” He strikes me as someone who does have this, the question is whether the players around him are on the same wavelength. I have seen him play some quality balls that are not read imo and the goals he has scored and crosses made would suggest that he does think quickly and does not overcomplicate things or try and beat the same player twice. I guess we all see certain things differently. :shrug:

The Chelsea goal and the Watford OG suggest to me that he has a great speed of thought. He didn’t piss about with the early goal against Bournemouth either.

Something is definitely amiss though

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I wonder if the problem is not with Ali J but with his teammates? If you play alongside a lot of slow-thinking, slow-moving players who don't make space for you or make runs into good positions, it narrows down your passing options and you aren't going to look as good. He hit two of the best crosses of the season, the one that Watford's Adrian Mariappa smacked into his own net, and a low ball behind the Chelsea defence that Maupay hit straight at the goalkeeper. But it was significant that an opponent rather than a teammate was on the end of the first one.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I wonder if the problem is not with Ali J but with his teammates? If you play alongside a lot of slow-thinking, slow-moving players who don't make space for you or make runs into good positions, it narrows down your passing options and you aren't going to look as good. He hit two of the best crosses of the season, the one that Watford's Adrian Mariappa smacked into his own net, and a low ball behind the Chelsea defence that Maupay hit straight at the goalkeeper. But it was significant that an opponent rather than a teammate was on the end of the first one.

I think that’s exactly what I was trying to say, you did a better job of it.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I agree with both of you . . . I just think he's a misfit with our currenty batcj of players. If he leaves, in a strange kind of way I kind of hope he comes back and scores a hatrick against us!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I wouldn't call Maupay or Connolly slow moving (Murray is, obviously, but has a very bright brain that might be writing cheques his body can't cash). Mooy and Gross can both see a lot that's on, but neither has pace. Bissouma is quicker but, yeah, very raw and, at times, naive. We all know Dale and Davy are reative snails but both do more of a holding job for Potter - it's not for them to create for an AM / wide forward. Dale's only job seems to be to win it and get it to someone who can play.

Additionally we have added wide pace with Lamptey and a player in Lallana who should be able to read and assist with anything Ali J has in mind.

I don't doubt the two examples of the crosses by the way or the speed of though and physical agility needed for the overhead against Chelsea, but we have enough players with one attribute or the other. Both, at this level, as you know, costs a pretty penny.

My biggest issue with Ali remains not who he is playing with but how often he crossed or shot, partucularly under Hughton. Whenever he was one on one he lost out to the pace or strength or both of his opponent.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It’s all the other players now...

You have to be able to play in the team and tactics you’re given. It doesn’t always work out, but come on people, he’s played and trained with the players around him for 2 years, he knows how fast they are, you pass the ball according to who is on your team, not a great pass if only he’d been as quick as Usain Bolt :lolol:.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

I saw that in one of his first matches for us, the pre-season friendly vs. Nantes - he made a run down the wing and showed great frustration as the crossed ball (from *I think* Stephens) arrived just behind him...

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I agree with both of you . . . I just think he's a misfit with our currenty batcj of players. If he leaves, in a strange kind of way I kind of hope he comes back and scores a hatrick against us!

You’d like him to score a hat trick against your own team just so you can say ‘I knew he had something’ - you are right, that is very strange! :mad:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You’d like him to score a hat trick against your own team just so you can say ‘I knew he had something’ - you are right, that is very strange! :mad:

I know exactly what he means though. Ali J has not been given the number of chances that others have (and not been very good either) and some of us find that really disappointing. Wanting him to score a hatrick against us may be a bit strong but I’d come away nodding wisely if he did :lolol:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I know exactly what he means though. Ali J has not been given the number of chances that others have (and not been very good either) and some of us find that really disappointing. Wanting him to score a hatrick against us may be a bit strong but I’d come away nodding wisely if he did :lolol:

He has engendered a strong support in people desperate to see him succeed. For it to not happen under 1 manager and particular tactics is one thing, for it to happen under a 2nd with different tactics and a different approach is quite another. You couldn’t say Potter hasn’t given the full extent of the squad a chance over this last year.

I think it’s just a case of desperately wanting something to be there that isn’t. Blaming tactics, managers, team mates etc. isn’t going to change that really. He’s just not adapted as anyone would have hoped. Be ridiculous to think Potter doesn’t want him to succeed just as much as you do.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
More people on here seem to think we should keep him and he'll come good rather than either Gross or Mooy. I find this very odd

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The only reason I'm not a professional footballer is that none of my managers or team mates were good enough

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
At the end of the day it doesn't matter if he's a wonderful player who has been cruelly treated by two managers and let down by his fellow players, or if as others suggest he's just not quite up to the PL - the fact remains that his two years here have not been a success. The best thing now must be for us to try to move him on and recoup as much as we can from the money we spent on him; also the best thing for him must be to move somewhere else too.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
At the end of the day it doesn't matter if he's a wonderful player who has been cruelly treated by two managers and let down by his fellow players, or if as others suggest he's just not quite up to the PL - the fact remains that his two years here have not been a success. The best thing now must be for us to try to move him on and recoup as much as we can from the money we spent on him; also the best thing for him must be to move somewhere else too.

A wages paid loan to Leeds? Bielsa will make him world class by seasons end

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Just a great pity didnt play more games. March was very poor when he played and couldnt understand why picked over him. Why would buying club pay a lot for him when he cant get in our side. I even thought Potter was taking the p---- bringing him on for last minute against Burnley

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Just a great pity didnt play more games. March was very poor when he played and couldnt understand why picked over him. Why would buying club pay a lot for him when he cant get in our side. I even thought Potter was taking the p---- bringing him on for last minute against Burnley

That was a strange one for a man who is lauded for his man management psychology.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here