Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Ali J would be out on loan if Potter didn’t rate him.

With Andone & Locadia gone, he’ll get his chance once fit.

The lack of pace argument can also be levelled at Groß (Ali J is a lot faster by the way) and the lack of power argument at Trossard (Ali J is clearly more powerful than Trossard who weighs about 8 stone with the body of a 12 year old). It just doesn’t wash.

Ali J has clearly not settled in but has not been given a propper chance. His game is based around fantastic positioning (not defensively though) and striking the ball cleanly to score plenty of goals and to get many assists.

His best game for the Albion was when his defensive responsibilities were taken away.
https://youtu.be/B2nyDOsqaAk
Note how he ‘stops’ tracking back in the second half as he does not need to, similar to the way Stephens and Pröpper would not venture foward last season. They were carrying out CH’a instructions to the letter.

He’ll be back to prove a lot of posters very wrong.

He played lots better in that game agreed. Against the worst team in the league. At home.

I think people have seen enough of him during the rest of his Albion career to be rightfully pessimistic about him making any kind of impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Ali J would be out on loan if Potter didn’t rate him.

With Andone & Locadia gone, he’ll get his chance once fit.

The lack of pace argument can also be levelled at Groß (Ali J is a lot faster by the way) and the lack of power argument at Trossard (Ali J is clearly more powerful than Trossard who weighs about 8 stone with the body of a 12 year old). It just doesn’t wash.

Ali J has clearly not settled in but has not been given a propper chance. His game is based around fantastic positioning (not defensively though) and striking the ball cleanly to score plenty of goals and to get many assists.

His best game for the Albion was when his defensive responsibilities were taken away.
https://youtu.be/B2nyDOsqaAk
Note how he ‘stops’ tracking back in the second half as he does not need to, similar to the way Stephens and Pröpper would not venture foward last season. They were carrying out CH’a instructions to the letter.

He’ll be back to prove a lot of posters very wrong.

Sure and I honestly thought he’d kick on after a pre-season, but the fact is apparently he hasn’t done enough to warrant a start or even at times being in the matchday squad.

The difference between him and Gross, is that Gross has an idea when he receives the ball, I’m not sure AJ does, hence his lack of pace is more visible (so actually very relevant). I don’t think power is an issue.

In terms of going out on loan, with the squad at bare bones, it is not quite black and white as to whether he is wanted or not. As above his lack of involvement probably tells the story on that one....

I too hope he succeeds, but time is running out, I would have thought he would replace Trossard if fit....

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Sure and I honestly thought he’d kick on after a pre-season, but the fact is apparently he hasn’t done enough to warrant a start or even at times being in the matchday squad.

The difference between him and Gross, is that Gross has an idea when he receives the ball, I’m not sure AJ does, hence his lack of pace is more visible (so actually very relevant). I don’t think power is an issue.

In terms of going out on loan, with the squad at bare bones, it is not quite black and white as to whether he is wanted or not. As above his lack of involvement probably tells the story on that one....

I too hope he succeeds, but time is running out, I would have thought he would replace Trossard if fit....

Time is running out, agreed, he’ll be gone in Jan if his lack of game time continues but I’d really like to see the Potter version of Ali J in the Premier League first.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Time is running out, agreed, he’ll be gone in Jan if his lack of game time continues but I’d really like to see the Potter version of Ali J in the Premier League first.

For a player who hardly plays he seems to manage to get himself injured in a high percentage of games. I had hoped game time for Iran would have helped him get up to speed. I wonder if he’ll be fit for the next International and come back injured again

I had high hopes this season but they have pretty well evaporated now

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Back missing out on a Premier League matchday 18?

Graham Potter met the media this afternoon, key talking points regarding injuries ahead of the weekend:
- Shane Duffy requires a scan after last night's injury and will miss the game with Chelsea Football Club on Saturday.
- Alireza Jahanbakhsh may be back, with Solly March more likely to feature next week against Tottenham Hotspur.
- Both Glenn Murray and Neal Maupay are fine for this weekend and trained today [Thursday].​

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Back missing out on a Premier League matchday 18?

Graham Potter met the media this afternoon, key talking points regarding injuries ahead of the weekend:
- Shane Duffy requires a scan after last night's injury and will miss the game with Chelsea Football Club on Saturday.
- Alireza Jahanbakhsh may be back, with Solly March more likely to feature next week against Tottenham Hotspur.
- Both Glenn Murray and Neal Maupay are fine for this weekend and trained today [Thursday].​

Really hope he plays, the PERFECT opportunity to prove himself :thumbsup:

Last chance saloon possibly

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He always plays brilliantly v Chelsea.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Really hope he plays, the PERFECT opportunity to prove himself :thumbsup:

Last chance saloon possibly

In the unlikely event he plays a few minutes, he'll be completely shit, as ever, and all his fanbois on here will claim it is ridiculous to judge him against a top side.

Standard.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Eredivisie wingers are always a gamble as most teams a) dont give a fck about defending and b) the little defending they do is almost always man-man instead of the zone defense you do in most leagues. If you have one or two really good abilities, you can abuse them in the Eredivisie, but it won't be doable in the Premier League.

As a very frequent Eredivisie watcher, I think Jahanbakhsh is a pacy dribbler and a decent finisher and not much more. While he scored a lot of goals in the Netherlands, his assist tally is not that impressive and almost every Eredivisie winger that have succeeded in England also had a very decent assist production in Holland.

Possibly he could be a bit useful when you are up a goal and want someone who is a strong counter attack player, but all in all I think unfortunately he is not good enough and was a bad investment last summer.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
In the unlikely event he plays a few minutes, he'll be completely shit, as ever, and all his fanbois on here will claim it is ridiculous to judge him against a top side.

Standard.

Half the reason I am holding out on him doing well is to prove the BOO BOY Mods wrong :wink:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'd just like to see him start and play a full game, or most of, on the right ( which is his natural position? ) against half decent opposition, when fully fit . . . assuming the team play well we'll soon know if he cuts the mustard.

I don't think we've actually seen that yet.

he can obviously do it, this albeit is a slightly lower level. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmfmenpt6WY

FF1

Aug 28, 2019
Eredivisie wingers are always a gamble as most teams a) dont give a fck about defending and b) the little defending they do is almost always man-man instead of the zone defense you do in most leagues. If you have one or two really good abilities, you can abuse them in the Eredivisie, but it won't be doable in the Premier League.

As a very frequent Eredivisie watcher, I think Jahanbakhsh is a pacy dribbler and a decent finisher and not much more. While he scored a lot of goals in the Netherlands, his assist tally is not that impressive and almost every Eredivisie winger that have succeeded in England also had a very decent assist production in Holland.

Possibly he could be a bit useful when you are up a goal and want someone who is a strong counter attack player, but all in all I think unfortunately he is not good enough and was a bad investment last summer.

Are you sure "his assist tally is not that impressive"? When he won the golden boot in Eredivisie, I believe he came in second league wide in assists... He has repeatedly mentioned that he gets more satisfaction from assisting than scoring...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Well he’s not pacy in any way, but does have a good first touch.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

If he could come close to a goal /assist ratio of 21/12 in 33 games I think most of would admit to being wrong about the fella............................

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Alireza Jahanbakhsh signs on a 5-year deal for a club record fee

If he could come close to a goal /assist ratio of 21/12 in 33 games I think most of would admit to being wrong about the fella............................

That’s an £80m+ Premier League player ratio (especially for goal shy Albion). But I agree, it would take those sort of stats for his NSC detractors to admit they are wrong.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
That’s an £80m+ Premier League player ratio (especially for goal shy Albion). But I agree, it would take those sort of stats for his NSC detractors to admit they are wrong.

How about he starts with 1 goal or assist and we go from there?
Course, he'd have to make his way into a thin, banged-up team first.
As it stands, he must be top 10 of the worst Premier League signings in 27 years.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
He can’t even get on the pitch when we are down to the bare bones. I am now hoping he doesn’t get on at all because it will take even more injuries, and we really don’t need that.

He is not in Potter’s plans and I have no idea why we didn’t ship him out as well as Locadia and Andone :shrug:

Shame, I’d love to have seen him get a run in the new Albion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here