Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scrapping a car

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Good folk of NSC,

My father is trying to sell his 15 year old Rover 45. Car runs well currently, however likely needs a new head gasket. He advertised it for £400, without success.

Given that there was no interest he looked into scrapping it but after phoning around a couple of companies the best offer he was made was £70 to collect and scrap. Do you think this is a fair price, or do you know of any other places/people its worth contacting ? The car is derivable so no problem to take to a scrap yard, but I don't even know of any!

with thanks

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Taking it to a scrapyard yourself will get you another £30. Alternatively you could always stick an ad in your local shop window and ask for £150 o.v.n.o.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Not being funny Jim but £400 for a 15 year old Rover with a blown head gasket is ridiculously over priced.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
ebay or autotrader "for spares or repair".

You might get a private buyer for a bit more, but as previously stated an old car that needs expensive work done is pretty worthless. £400? I've been offered a 15 year old Jag with no issues for that money.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Yes it's not running so well if it needs a new head gasket. It's running hot and is at risk of seizing up. Usually the rovers blow about 40-50k miles. But some later models last to 70k. Still the job is more expensive than the car.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Not being funny Jim but £400 for a 15 year old Rover with a blown head gasket is ridiculously over priced.

Yes it's not running so well if it needs a new head gasket. It's running hot and is at risk of seizing up. Usually the rovers blow about 40-50k miles. But some later models last to 70k. Still the job is more expensive than the car.

Thanks all, just to confirm the gasket has not blown and the car is in good working condition, however it is at 100,000 miles and most believe the gasket would go at 70/80K

if anyone knows any car scrapyards either around Brighton or Mid Sussex please advise

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Thanks all, just to confirm the gasket has not blown and the car is in good working condition, however it is at 100,000 miles and most believe the gasket would go at 70/80K

if anyone knows any car scrapyards either around Brighton or Mid Sussex please advise

You could probably get about £80-100 for the alloys (if it has them). Thing is there aren't too many rovers about these days so a scrapyard might not be too interested. The alloys should fit other cars though.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
There's a decent place along the A259 in Portslade called HCS - they took my Vauxhall Astra estate with a knackered engine for £120.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Last time I took a car in for recycling (scrapping) the price of scrap,which varies daily, was £80.00 per ton. The Rover probably weighs about a ton so there's £80.00 then add on £5.00 per alloy wheel (if fitted) and £40.00 if it still has it's original catalytic converter. An after-market one is only worth about £10.00.Drive it in if you possibly can but if you can't beware of some of our less honourable types (can I say pikeys?) who will fleece you. Lastly, it sounds puerile but take the bulbs and fuses and the battery if any good off it just before it gets processed and ask for a certificate of destruction so ,if it ever appears on the road again, you are absolved of any responsibility Aldershot Car Spares are who I use but thats a long way from youi and,frankly, if it would drive that far you wouldn't be scrapping it would you? Best of luck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here