Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone here Mary Whitehouse?

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
I wasn't born when she was at her most active in the 60's but she did seem to be quite influencial in her crusade to clean up TV. Did anyone really listen to her or did people think she and her cronies were just media whores (that's my impression).

Title should read: Anyone remember Mary Whitehouse?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
She was a jumped up preacher who thought her Victorian values should be enforced on everyone. I doubt she's on here though, well unless she's learned to use the internet from the grave ( and she'd hate the Beautiful Women thread ! ).

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
As someone who was around to hear her during most of her career, and having just read her entry on Wikipedia, I would reflect what has been said above about her trying to impose her values on everybody else. And as a Church-goer myself, she represented the worst of narrow-minded bigotry at the time.

Some of the stuff she fulminated against was absolute classic television - for example just about everything that Dennis Potter ever wrote. She spoke out against, for example, a play of his called "Son of Man", written by an atheist about the last days of Jesus. It was one of the most powerful and moving things I have ever seen, and I still remember it from 1969.

She also was famous for fulminating about "Til Death us Do Part", which was probably very moral as Alf garnett as the bigoted racist etc etc was the one you were laughing at.

I had no time for her at all.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Attempted to stop freedom of expression and to pull back the boundaries in art. Believe she was the last person to bring a blasphemy charge. However it was not only her but bishops snd clergy as well as evidenced with the life of Brian release.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
She spawned things like the "top shelf movement" which involved a number of ugly birds or lesbians going into WH Smith and removing all of the dirty books from the top shelf and dumping them on the checkout.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Pretty sure she was 'active' in the 70s and the 80s too :shrug:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
She spoke out against indecency but I have a sneaking suspicion all the while she took it hard up the Gary.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
She spoke out against indecency but I have a sneaking suspicion all the while she took it hard up the Gary.

I always had the impression her husband would only ever see any action on religious festivals and bank holidays, and then only if he had made an appointment. He would, of course, have to keep his socks on, and she would be heavily anaesthetised.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Always remember her stirring a cup of tea with a dildo on Spitting Image

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here