Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you think Tony Bloom is going to "go for it" this season?

Do you think Tony Bloom is going to "go for it" this season?

• Yes

Votes: 41 27.7%
  • No

Votes: 107 72.3%

• Total voters

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
As opposed to the other seasons when he didn't?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
But so can the other clubs.

Ludicrous, he is the richest owner in the division and I think his keenness to go 'straight up' when we first hit this div will now go into overdrive with little Bournemouth and his ex friend & colleague's Brentford unbelievably finishing above us.
He will be like a swan, serene to view but privately fuming and & now jolted into serious action.
With Ladbrokes, Hills & PP all lowering our price significantly before a signing would only have happened on the back of decent 'in the know' money
The cork has popped out of the bottle

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Ludicrous, he is the richest owner in the division and I think his keenness to go 'straight up' when we first hit this div will now go into overdrive with little Bournemouth and his ex friend & colleague's Brentford unbelievably finishing above us.
He will be like a swan, serene to view but privately fuming and & now jolted into serious action.
With Ladbrokes, Hills & PP all lowering our price significantly before a signing would only have happened on the back of decent 'in the know' money

I think you make some very good points, and I hope you are right. We should be "going for it" every season but the wheels fell off last time for reasons which are unclear to me. It just didn't gel in games when it often should have.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
He can subsidise up to 13m this year if he wanted, which would be about 3m more than in 12/13.

I know where your £13m came from - £39m allowable FFP loss over 3 years. However, afaik, there's no restriction on how much loss you can make in any one year, providing you can credibly say that you're only going to lose £39m over 3 years. So, perhaps this year he could choose to lose, say, £20m...?

In previous seasons, I've thought that the club's banging of the drum in relation to adherence to FFP was as much to do with Tony wanting to put in sums of money that broadly matched the FFP limit as it was a matter of principle. This next season will demonstrate whether or not I was right.

re the OP's question: yes, I do think TB might "go for it" this season: last season will have really shaken him because he will have seen how easy it is to flirt with relegation. Also, 1901 renewals are up at the end of the season - how much better to be a PL team for the following season (in terms of income). Whether TB's perspective of "going for it" will match that of the average fan's is moot though.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
In previous seasons he's "gone for it" more than most of the other clubs.

Yes I know we had a top 8 budget the season before last. I also don't doubt wages went up last year, but this would have been offset with net transfer fees.

Anyway, my point was that although we are allowed to spend more this season, so can other clubs, so if everyone spends an extra £3m, we won't be any stronger. Although surely we will spend wiser this year and not just chuck money at 7 dwarfs after the season has started

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Richer than Khan, Al Hawasi, Mittal/Fernandes, The Venkys, Tan, Chansiri?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I know where your £13m came from - £39m allowable FFP loss over 3 years. However, afaik, there's no restriction on how much loss you can make in any one year, providing you can credibly say that you're only going to lose £39m over 3 years. So, perhaps this year he could choose to lose, say, £20m...?

In previous seasons, I've thought that the club's banging of the drum in relation to adherence to FFP was as much to do with Tony wanting to put in sums of money that broadly matched the FFP limit as it was a matter of principle. This next season will demonstrate whether or not I was right.

re the OP's question: yes, I do think TB might "go for it" this season: last season will have really shaken him because he will have seen how easy it is to flirt with relegation. Also, 1901 renewals are up at the end of the season - how much better to be a PL team for the following season (in terms of income). Whether TB's perspective of "going for it" will match that of the average fan's is moot though.

I was under the impression that the club's adherence to FFP was more to do with TB's stated long term wish of making the club self-financing and FFP fitted in with that as it would have levelled the playing field slightly in it's original form (redistributing fines to clubs that complied). I agree that flirting with relegation is not fitting in with his long-term aim either and the only way that the club stands any chance of becoming self-sufficient is to get to the PL. He has a lot more leeway now to go for it should he want to and I suspect he will - he will not go all in as someone mentioned earlier though. What the fans think about him going for it though comes down to the quality that is signed, rather than the fees paid, I would think - he spent big bucks (in comparison to our history, not in comparison with some of our rivals) last year on some duffers, yet he was still accused of not getting his cheque book out enough.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The 39m over three years rule isn't implented until 16/17; for 15/16 it's a straight 13m for the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here