• Yes

Votes: 61 93.8%
  • No

Votes: 4 6.2%

• Total voters

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Surely the ref has called it right, the ball hasn't stopped moving and has crossed the goal line.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The laws of the game don't mention anything about the ball stopping moving or stopping forward progression or anything like that, that I can see on a brief skim read. It does say:

"The referee decides when a penalty kick has been completed."​

So, quite simply, the referee decided the penalty hadn't been completed (admittedly, probably using the movement of the ball as a guide). There have been other similar penalties linked on here, one hitting the crossbar, flying up, keeper celebrates, the ball comes down, bounces and spins into the goal. It counted.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The laws of the game don't mention anything about the ball stopping moving or stopping forward progression or anything like that, that I can see on a brief skim read. It does say:

"The referee decides when a penalty kick has been completed."​

So, quite simply, the referee decided the penalty hadn't been completed (admittedly, probably using the movement of the ball as a guide). There have been other similar penalties linked on here, one hitting the crossbar, flying up, keeper celebrates, the ball comes down, bounces and spins into the goal. It counted.

This came up in You Are The Ref some time ago. It's a goal. The explanation was to do with when the event, ie the penalty, is completed. Clearly in this case the event was very much in action when the 'keeper fumbled around and ultimately put it into his net. It only completed when it was in the net.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Definitely a goal. Feel for the 'keeper but still, won't do that again...

It's probably just me but I find the behaviour of the next taker immensely annoying. Decision made, focus on the kick.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Of course its a goal, can't really see why there'd be any argument.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
surprised its even a debate, clearly a goal.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Keeper threw it into the net - GGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Well ... Seems to me the ball was saved and then dead. It was not a continuation of play as it would be in a match, so as soon as the ball was under control and dead it couldn't be a goal.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Well ... Seems to me the ball was saved and then dead. It was not a continuation of play as it would be in a match, so as soon as the ball was under control and dead it couldn't be a goal.

But the very nature of the ball slipping out of his hands and into the goal would suggest that it wasn't under control and dead. And again, the laws of the game say a penalty is completed when the ref says it is, nothing about the ball being under control or stopping.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
But the very nature of the ball slipping out of his hands and into the goal would suggest that it wasn't under control and dead. And again, the laws of the game say a penalty is completed when the ref says it is, nothing about the ball being under control or stopping.

Have watched it again. It did slip through his hands - it's a goal

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I know a goalkeeper in primary school who had the ball, and to take a run up before kicking it upfield, walked backwards into his own goal :facepalm: Goal given! (obviously). He didn't do it again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here