Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Welcome Sami!" - a year ago today

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Same number of signings as this time last year too, just the one.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Same number of signings as this time last year too, just the one.
And the one this year is more a dev squad signing.

However, perhaps we are close to getting a few over the line

Zamora
Ali J
Murphy
S. Ward

and if we get those 4 in before jetting off to the mountains, it will be a much better start to the transfer window than last year.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
And the one this year is more a dev squad signing.

However, perhaps we are close to getting a few over the line

Zamora
Ali J
Murphy
S. Ward

and if we get those 4 in before jetting off to the mountains, it will be a much better start to the transfer window than last year.

If we get all 4 over the line before August 31 I'll be ecstatic.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If we get all 4 over the line before August 31 I'll be ecstatic.
I hope our bar is set higher.

We need at least 2 more than those 4 before Aug 31, and that doesn't count the new goalie ( if Walton is loaned out ), and replacements for COG, Colunga, Dunk etc. if they move on.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
The last 2 years we were told the managerial issues impacted our recruitment.
No such issues this year and I cannot spot the difference.
Not sure why the club issue statements that they are targeting early signings when we know players wait until the latest possible time for the best deal.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Not sure why the club issue statements that they are targeting early signings when we know players wait until the latest possible time for the best deal.

Not knowing the exact workings of the recruitment system it's hard to tell. The club say the manager always gets the final say, but does that mean he does the choosing or does it mean the manager tells the club what type of player he wants and the club gets on with it. With Oscar we are led to believe that he didn't give a shit and wasn't that interested either. With Sami, well the one place he did have influence was gettingTexeira in for a season, other than that I tend to doubt he chose many of the dross we ended up with.

We'll soon know if with the sacking of Burke the manager gets more input, assuming he didn't before.

We won't know until the squad is assembled but I imagine (desperately hope!) that we are much further down the line in player recruitment than we were last season, even if it is not obvious to us fans yet.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

It doesn't help that the transfer window isn't open yet, so we can't really officially sign anyone. It's a small, but rather important point.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here