Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Loft Conversions

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Anyone on NSC had one done. Recommendations, avoids? Thinking of getting one done next year, I wondered if anyone else has gone down this route to capacitate expanded families, etc?

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
Avoids - amazing space, premier by design. Companies that got too big too quick and sacrificed quality tradesman.

Atlas lofts I would recommend. True professionals.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Sorry this wont be helpful, but just be careful.
We thought about it 4 years ago and got 5 quotes in. Jeebus what a minefield. 3 out of the 5 spent most of the time slagging off their rivals, and the difference in prices ranged from £28k - £45k for exactly the same spec.
I thoroughly researched reviews for all and ultimately I found I couldn't trust any one of them. Hopefully you will have a much better experience... Good luck!

We ended up moving instead!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Worked on many loft cons with my uncle, Phoenix roofing, can pm you details if you like..

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Anyone on NSC had one done. Recommendations, avoids? Thinking of getting one done next year, I wondered if anyone else has gone down this route to capacitate expanded families, etc?

Initially you have a couple of options;

A: go to an 'all-in-one' loft company who will do the drawings, obtain permissions and build out the project.

B: appoint an independent consultant such as an architect / building surveyor / technician to draw up a design and specification that you can then tender to contractors.

I would only recommend A if your requirements are completely straight forward, and you are clear on what you want, how the space will work etc. The problem with A is that the all in one companies want the build to be as simple as possible therefore the design decisions they can take are based on what they prefer to do, rather than what is right for you and your brief.

If you're not really sure what you want to get out of the roof space, that there could be options for how the staircase works, use of roof lights and dormers etc, then a design professional would be working toward a design for you maybe the way to go as per B.

As [MENTION=26782]Hendrax[/MENTION] has said, avoid Amazing Space. They no doubt have some success stories, but I too have a close friend that had a terrible time with them i.e. building partitions in the wrong place, windows being different size to what was agreed, delays etc.

Here's a few shots of one I designed recently. The clients didn't want a huge dormer on the back so we gable ended a previously hipped roof, and added a small dormer for an en-suite shower room. The staircase also worked really well with the original and we added windows in the new gable end for plenty of light. PM me if you want any further info.

JCJ_100_Hallyburton_Road_100.jpgJCJ_100_Hallyburton_Road_101.jpgJCJ_100_Hallyburton_Road_105.jpgJCJ_100_Hallyburton_Road_110.jpgJCJ_100_Hallyburton_Road_108.jpg

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Funnily enough, Mrs Igzilla and I are thinking exactly the same thing about our loft, so any recommends for Worthing friendly companies gratefully accepted.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Avoids - amazing space, premier by design. Companies that got too big too quick and sacrificed quality tradesman.

Atlas lofts I would recommend. True professionals.

I used to sub contract ( roofer ) from these guys a few years ago, there work was to just the same standard as the other 5/6 companies that I have worked for in the past, but the prices were always a little tight so I guess there were quotes were cheap?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Wow, that looks good. What sort of ball park figure would that cost?

Loft conversions aren't the cheapest thing these days with the various increased requirements to comply with Building Regulations. The one pictured was built along with a single storey extension, but as a ball park figure you're looking at around £40k plus VAT.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Funnily enough, Mrs Igzilla and I are thinking exactly the same thing about our loft, so any recommends for Worthing friendly companies gratefully accepted.

West Sussex Refurbs. Would highly recommend them, run by Andy who is also a Albion STH so bonus!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Although we've not had any work building work done yet, I'm happy to vouch for [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] who has come up some amazing designs as to how we can re-model the house we bought last year.

Initially we were only looking at building out what are, essentially, two existing loft conversions into one big space (building out the valley in an M, if you like) but Scott came up with ideas we'd not previously considered downstairs, which as well as changing the upstairs in the way we wanted, would also give us the kind of living space we would ultimately want downstairs too.

Based on our experience, I would recommend him to anyone looking at some sort of project. I couldn't say whether he is cheap or expensive as I didn't research anyone else in the same trade because he turned up when he said he would, was friendly, helpful, joined us for lunch outside a pub and is an Albion fan and NSCer. What's not to like?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Although we've not had any work building work done yet, I'm happy to vouch for [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] who has come up some amazing designs as to how we can re-model the house we bought last year.

Initially we were only looking at building out what are, essentially, two existing loft conversions into one big space (building out the valley in an M, if you like) but Scott came up with ideas we'd not previously considered downstairs, which as well as changing the upstairs in the way we wanted, would also give us the kind of living space we would ultimately want too.

Based on our experience, I would recommend him to anyone looking at some sort of project. I couldn't say whether he is cheap or expensive as I didn't research anyone else in the same trade because he turned up when he said he would, was friendly, helpful, joined us for lunch outside a pub and is an Albion fan and NSCer. What's not to like?

Very kind sir. I keep telling myself I need many more clients for lunchtime meetings in the sun outside nice pubs!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Very kind sir. I keep telling myself I need many more clients for lunchtime meetings in the sun outside nice pubs!

We have a future plan for a loft job in a cottage behind Morocco's. If so I will bear in mind that a lunchtime visit to The Neptune, The Better Half, The Sussex and whatever The Alibi becomes, to discuss the options could be on the cards.

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014

We are in the process of getting plans drawn up to convert our loft....I will get a few quotes but I think I will probably go with 'Cloud 9' Seen some of their stuff and it is fantastic. They are egg chasers but I suppose you can't have everything...lol...haven't heard a bad word about them, all good from people who have had stuff done.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

Initially we were only looking at building out what are, essentially, two existing loft conversions into one big space (building out the valley in an M, if you like) but Scott came up with ideas we'd not previously considered downstairs, which as well as changing the upstairs in the way we wanted, would also give us the kind of living space we would ultimately want downstairs too.

Would certainly recommend having the house looked at generally by an architect such as Bold Seagull, rather than focus purely on a loft conversion at the outset. For not dissimilar cost it might be possible to create the required bedroom at existing bedroom level and at same time do something extraordinary to other parts of the house as Bozza eludes to.

Just finished our extension, and very pleased we didn't use the cheapest tick box architect, but the one who has given us the space we now love.

BTW, great photos Bold Seagull.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Here's a few shots of one I designed recently. The clients didn't want a huge dormer on the back so we gable ended a previously hipped roof, and added a small dormer for an en-suite shower room. The staircase also worked really well with the original and we added windows in the new gable end for plenty of light. PM me if you want any further info.

Nice work. We already have a loft room (in original build) with a hipped roof, so interesting that gable ending is possible, as this would make it a huge useable floor space. Is this a significant job that requires a whole new roof, or would it be more straight forward than a whole conversion?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Nice work. We already have a loft room (in original build) with a hipped roof, so interesting that gable ending is possible, as this would make it a huge useable floor space. Is this a significant job that requires a whole new roof, or would it be more straight forward than a whole conversion?

Can only answer this generally really, but hip to gable end works are normally reasonably straight forward. The gable end you create can support a ridge beam, sometimes steel to prevent the roof dropping or spreading. Then its just a case of continuing new rafters up to the gable. With a roof that was purpose designed as a room, you may find this even easier to achieve. There is still a reasonable amount of work involved, but all your floor joists and other structure should be there already.

Gable end conversions are also typically Permitted Development, but that will depend on the volume they add to the roof - you have a limit of 40 cu m for terrace, 50 cu m for semi or detached dwellings. This will include any additions to the roof from the original. With yours being an original build with loft space, you may not have used any of your allowance, so a hip to gable would likely be achievable within Permitted Development. http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Avid BHAFC fan Shinbreath owns a loft conversion company based in Hove. He's on here

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here