Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hassocks golf course

Heard last night that Hassocks is being turned into a 9 hole course in order to build houses.

Anyone heard or know if this is true?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
No holes worth saving, may as well lose the lot, always played like the 3 flat farmers fields it was, only there to give poor golfers a lower handicap than they deserve

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Sad - That's one of the places I learned to play golf. Sadder still that the document mentions the closure of BH driving range :ohmy:

Sure sign that all's not well when golf courses start closing...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No holes worth saving, may as well lose the lot, always played like the 3 flat farmers fields it was, only there to give poor golfers a lower handicap than they deserve

Wow! Interesting view, thought there were some holes that you had to think about club selection.

What is your handicap?

I like it because it is flat.

Having a very weak Achilles tendon it suits me perfectly.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Sad - That's one of the places I learned to play golf. Sadder still that the document mentions the closure of BH driving range :ohmy:
Sure sign that all's not well when golf courses start closing...

My understanding is that the owner of BH is more than happy to sell to developers once the northern arc development gets the go ahead. Shame you'd have thought it ought to turn a tidy profit with all that extra housing.
Problem with Hassocks and Burgess Hill is the clay soil turns them into swamps over the winter.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

A friend of mine used to write articles for the major golf mags - he was a good golfer playing off 5 or so and his Dad was a professional. He was invited to review Hassocks when it first opened and he was as nice about it as he possibly could, bearing in mind that it was a new course built on a farm. They objected to his review and he had to go back and do it again! He was not happy.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

I notice they've got a picture of the pavilion at my cricket club, which does look very nice from the outside. They have, however, had to replace the sliding glass doors and the inside was clearly designed by someone in the council who knows nothing about cricket pavilions. Hopefully they'll learn when it comes to putting up the clubhouse.

boik

Another development to go with the 120 houses in the fields to the south of the golf course. 250 new houses and the schools are already turning away local kids. These developers promise all sorts of things to get the go ahead, cram the houses in, take the money and run somewhere else leaving the locals to cope. Development needs to be properly cordinated and managed.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Another development to go with the 120 houses in the fields to the south of the golf course. 250 new houses and the schools are already turning away local kids. These developers promise all sorts of things to get the go ahead, cram the houses in, take the money and run somewhere else leaving the locals to cope. Development needs to be properly cordinated and managed.

Indeed, the same thing is happening in Hurstpierpoint, hundreds of new houses being built off Cuckfield Road. This is a road which is already CHAOTIC at peak times, not to mention the High Street which is a joke to drive through at any time of day.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Is this Singing Hills we're talking about, or is that in another place? I have to say all this housing is one reason I am not enthusiastic about Gatwick getting a new runway. The Mayfield development has been rejected for now (the farmer doesn't want to sell the land), but if the Gatwick runway got the go-ahead, I guess pressure for the development would build again. I am not a NIMBY (I would greatly welcome an East Grinstead bypass, as it would relieve Sharpthorne and West Hoathly of being the through routes to Crawley they now are), but at some point we have to say enough is enough. As boik says, unless you force the developers into really generous Section 106 terms, you get the development but none of the necessary stuff with it, such as new schools, roads, hospitals and community facilities.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Hassocks was the very first place I ever played. 4 of us turned up and none of us had played before. Have played it many times since, but not sure if I really like it or not.

Singing Hills is a different place, love that - got a hole-in-one first time I played there. Was briefly a member but can't play there any more.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill

The Neighbourhood Plan process suggests Hassocks needs to take between 300 and 400 houses over the next decade or so. It's important for the local community and parish council to manage this process with due regard for residents concerns but not to ignore the need build to new houses in the context of a NP - without one it is open season for the developers. The demand for housing has to be met and in the South East there are few if any sites that are ideal. Ham Fields, the Golf Course and Friars Oak fields are not perfect by any means but they are probably feasible. Of equal concern to me is which developers are allowed to build - Barratts have consistently failed to complete the landscaping to the north of Clayton Mills that was a requirement of their planning permission. They have ignored MSDC and a Breach Notice and simply seem content to allow a legal argument to develop. On that basis they should be disbarred from building in the village again.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I did my best to start the redevelopment by taking chunks out of it on Wednesday.

Shame about this. I've only just started playing this year and enjoy going to hassocks after work.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

Mostly because local politics and NIMBYISM means that Local Authorities are unable to plan appropriately for housing/business needs in their areas leaving them open to ad-hoc planning applications.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Yet you would agree that we need more housing?

D

Deleted member 22389

800 homes for Newhaven just past the Union, all that wooded area will be going. Some more housing also going down by the Quay.
LDC want to build on some of the Car Parks in Peacehaven too, the only car park left would be the one by the bank.

It's a joke. Soon there will not enough of anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

D

Deleted member 22389

Yet you would agree that we need more housing?

Yes but not in existing towns. They might as well build a super town somewhere is Sussex do the whole quota at once. All developers are doing is building in on around existing towns and the services cannot cope. I don't know how Newhaven Health Centre is going to fair once the 800+ homes go up. It's busy enough in there as it is. Boik is right, developers only care about the money and once built they clear off. They don't care for the area and how it will cope.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here