Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul McShane - are we missing an opportunity?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
According to various reports Reading manager Steve Clarke has already flown to Dublin to have talks with out of contract Paul McShane.

I can't think of a better yet realistic player to replace Greer in the starting line-up. It would be a real shame if we weren't in the market for him. Bags of experience, still only 29, a fighter, knows the Prem. The fact he was our Player of the Year some time ago is also in his favour, although this is incidental.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
We are always so bloody slow in everything we do when it comes to obtaining new players - or at least that's how it seems to me.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm inclined to agree, however NSC rules dictate we aren't allowed to be interested in former Brighton players.

dont think that's quite fair, there has been an obsession with some former players of late, as if they are the only players available.

as put, in this case their prior time here is incidental, we should defiantly be interested. though i fear a dozen others probably are too and we'd be down the list of preferences.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Good suggestion... but are we 'at the races' WRT player recruitment? Or are our club going to attack player recruitment with all the vim and vigour of a snail again?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Good suggestion... but are we 'at the races' WRT player recruitment? Or are our club going to attack player recruitment with all the vim and vigour of a snail again?

Depends if you want all of our transfer enquiries/activity played out in the press. No news does not mean no action. Frustrating, but ultimately sensible.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Depends if you want all of our transfer enquiries/activity played out in the press. No news does not mean no action. Frustrating, but ultimately sensible.

I'm sure the club would prefer no news to reach the public about potential targets, which is why the saga surrounding the Iranian guy seems to be agent driven to drive up interest.

Some clubs like to advetise their business - they clearly see themselves are in a very strong position and use it to push the deal forward - we clearly don't see it that way.

I'm hoping there's loads going on that we aren't aware of, and some of that will deliver soonish.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Damned if you do, damned if you don't is how I imagine the club view this sort of thing.

If you publicly announce you're after a player and they turn you down (for whatever reason; money, family, fear of seagulls) then you'll be considered to have failed whereas if you go for it and keep it quiet you'll be asked why you didn't try afterwards.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm inclined to agree, however NSC rules dictate we aren't allowed to be interested in former Brighton players.

Well, that seems quite out of touch with the poll on Bobby Zamora with 65% of responses saying they'd be delighted or 'pee my pants excited', and only 15% given a negative response (with 14% of that not being a no, but being "more concerned than excited". It also seems to be out of touch with every Glen Murray thread started in the past 2 years. The Matt Upson thread has a few 'no thanks' but they all seem to be about his age, rather than him coming back, (and the negatives to Zamora are mostly about his age and fitness, not about old players coming back).

It seems like you've seen a couple of negative posts and wrongly extrapolated them to be more significant than they were.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Managers flying off to foreign climes to talk players into joining their club? Nah I don't think it will catch on, it's so 1970s

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

I agree. But I really think we need to show progress (and by that I mean 1 or 2 signings) as early as possible this summer. This will build belief in other targets that we, for once, mean business.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not see McShane as the answer to any problems I would sooner we concentrate defensively on left back possibly a quicker right back and lastly a CB. Many more positions to be filled before CB.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Proved he is not good enough for the Premier. So wont be chased by any clubs there I dont think.

Seems a bit harsh BG. Certainly played a few games at Prem level...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here